This is the worst game I've ever played

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Re: This is the worst game I've ever played

Post by killbot » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:11 am

Gazza's Super Soccer (Amiga).

The viewing angle keeps changing meaning you constantly run into touch because the controls suddenly switched. It's impossible to score by kicking the ball (even when Gazza tells you to and the ball flies off automatically) but you can walk it in and the goalie will obligingly stand aside. The sound is just white noise and the graphics are 8-bit at best. Utterly hateful.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:18 am

I always struggle to find a "worst game" as I have a tendency to always find a positive to it. I think that stems from the amount of times I would rent a game for the weekend for it to turn out to be absolute garbage and being stuck with it! :lol:

That said, Bubsy 3D does come to mind... Strangely I knew this was bad as a kid but I'd keep on renting it despite the terrible controls and the horrific colours/graphics causing me to have migraines :? :shock: I do struggle to find any positives in that game... I was a strange kid Not much better now

edit: Another game comes to mind actually, Cassette 50 for the Speccy, although it has to be said that a couple of the games are crappily enjoyable... :twisted: :lol:

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:44 am

Where to start... I really enjoyed the first Count Duckula game on the Amstrad when I was a kid. Yes the Amstrad version was a speccy port so was in black and white, and there were numerous unfair traps that were unavoidable unless you knew the route in advance and you could end up using up all your keys and not being able to finish the game BUT it had lovely sprites, a nice version of the theme tune on the menu screen and bounced along at a nice pace so you didn't really notice its flaws and once you knew the correct route it is fairly easy to complete.

So when I saw this for sale, I picked it up without reading the reviews first. Fired it up, good version of the theme tune... and that's it. It's hideous looking, the graphics look like they were drawn by someone who'd never seen a computer before, let alone the show, the sound effects are ear-splitting bleeps and nothing else, and the collision detection is seemingly a commentary on Heisenbergs uncertainty principle, where one can know either the momentum or position of a sprite, but seemingly not whether it was miles away from the enemy that somehow killed it. Best part is, it came out in 1992! How can a company like Alternative that had been making games for this machine for this long make something this cack? I'm assuming they let the work experience lad have a crack at it after letting him read BASIC for beginners for half an hour first. Its uttere garbage.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:01 pm

Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing for the PC.

But then again, I went into playing it KNOWING it was terrible heh... compared to some of the other stories here.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:03 pm

ET XD :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :D :D :D
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:49 pm

thingonaspring wrote:Image

Jungle Story on the Commodore 64.

Yes it was an early Mastertronic game. Yes it was £1.99. No it wasn't even worth that. Complete and utter rubbish. No gameplay. No progression. No achievement. No fun. Music was awful, too.

Surprised there is even a video on YouTube for it at all, tbh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQAjhI27Di8

At least the cover was pretty decent.
Hah! I like how the monkey is walking through the trees while trying to poo on the players head.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:01 pm

I'll say straight away that I know nothing about American football and never have, beyond the idea that it's a soft version of rugby. However, the memory of a 9 year old me trying and failing to be able to play Joe Montana's football on Mega Drive is etched into my skull. I borrowed it off a mate of mine, loaded it up started a game, the ref blew his whistle, something happened for about half a second then a menu screen came up. I finally managed to get off this screen to get back to the game and exactly the same thing happened again. And again. And again. The one time I did manage to make any form of run with the ball I ended up running out of play sideways.
Not to be defeated I kept trying, I read the instruction book many times, but I just couldn't play the damn thing!

I realise that many, many people have successfully played and enjoyed this game very much. I also accept that it may be my own lack of knowledge and general incompetence that led me to hate this game, but the fact that I just could not play it has made it stick in my mind as a terrible game.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:24 pm

Probably Stop the Express on the Spectrum.
I got so unbelievably frustrated with that game - more than any other.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:27 pm

Mirrors Edge - the biggest waste of money ever. I only paid £1.99 for it but I still felt robbed. Played better games on the ZX81!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:43 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:Mirrors Edge - the biggest waste of money ever. I only paid £1.99 for it but I still felt robbed. Played better games on the ZX81!
Mirror's Edge is amazing (although the story is rubbish). I'd play it over any ZX81 game. Or Spectrum game for that matter.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:30 pm

I'm with fred on this one, Mirror's Edge isn't the revelation I expected, it gets dull fast. Visuals are all over the place too, like the marketing team couldn't make up their mind what she was supposed to look like. Not a 'worst' for me, but very much over rated.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:31 pm

WWE 2k!5 it's not a bad game as such but it feels like they would rather update the GFX and take out old content and give us a sub par story mode then anything I for one hate the showcase mode i would rather have road to wrestlemania back and the create a wretler feels nearly as limited as wwf smackdown on ps1 and they took create an arena away from it plus match fatige should be optional I would much rather have a game closer in pace to the first 3 WWF smackdowns yes WWE SVR was a fun series but after WWE (2k?)13 it got old and repetivie there should be at least 3 devs for a yearly wwe series but each one should take 3 years and make ther own type of game so one year mabie liek a 3d version of WWF in your house one year a wwe 2k game and another year another fresh idea. but please 2k never give us a lackluster game again
This guy are sick

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:58 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
thingonaspring wrote:Image

Jungle Story on the Commodore 64.

Yes it was an early Mastertronic game. Yes it was £1.99. No it wasn't even worth that. Complete and utter rubbish. No gameplay. No progression. No achievement. No fun. Music was awful, too.

Surprised there is even a video on YouTube for it at all, tbh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQAjhI27Di8

At least the cover was pretty decent.
Hah! I like how the monkey is walking through the trees while trying to poo on the players head.
Another vote for Jungle Story here too.

Also, I really like witchfinders Mastertronic videos. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:42 pm

Possibly Golden Age of Racing on the PS2. Cheap budget game from Midas which isn't an immediate write-off reason BUT who wants to play a racing game where the opponents tear around the circuit at top speed in a perfect line, never crashing while YOU (the player) a) can't match their speed and b) can't find the insane grip/traction that the computer has. Horrible, horrible game.

Honourable mentions go to:

Marvel Nemesis (PS2)
Sprung: The Dating Game (DS)
Stock Car Crash (PS2)
Crazy Frog Racer (GBA)
Dukes of Hazzard: Racing for Home (PS1)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:12 pm

MY LIST SO FAR OF GAMES THAT ARE CACK!

I can say that I am activly seeking out the bad so I can say this is a good bad list rather than all those on Youtube that reek of "Google"
Pac-Kong - It insults my ears with its high picthed beeps, annoys me with it jumping, and hurts my eyes with the flickering
Double Dragon 2600 - AHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Red Ninja - Good ideas badly done
King of the fighters mobile - 4 characters, all with the same move set consisting of 4 moves
Flappy Bird - Mentioned for being a rip off of Superfly DX
Minecraft - Is it even a game? It has no real objective besides build censored
Anything on the Action Max - Awful machine
Mad Dog Mcgree on Wii - Even in four play mode we couldn't do the game
Sonic and the secret of the rings - Why use buttons? Just shake the wiimote and it might do something
Sonic Jam game com - URGH
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday