This is the worst game I've ever played

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

binaryRooster

Re: This is the worst game I've ever played

Post by binaryRooster » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Luckily i've never played either. Club Drive is one of those games that's so gloriously bad i don't think i'd ever get rid of it. That oblong cat patrolling that living room will stay with me forever.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:23 pm

The Laird wrote:
binaryRooster wrote:
The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Club Drive on the Jag.
Like Bubsy 3D on wheels.
:lol: I wonder what the development team thought when Atari said 'yeah, that'll do' and released it despite it being nowhere near finished.
Club Drive is censored but quite fun 2-player. There are worse games on the Jag believe it or not. Supercross 3D and Double Dragon V are barely playable.
Its well known that I am not a big fan of the Jag, despite owning one and several games but I always thought with some backing and more time that CluB Drive if given more time and resources could have been made into a decent update of the hard/race drivin series.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:45 pm

The Laird wrote:
binaryRooster wrote:
The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Club Drive on the Jag.
Like Bubsy 3D on wheels.
:lol: I wonder what the development team thought when Atari said 'yeah, that'll do' and released it despite it being nowhere near finished.
Club Drive is censored but quite fun 2-player. There are worse games on the Jag believe it or not. Supercross 3D and Double Dragon V are barely playable.
Supercross 3D is one that came with the Jag I briefly owned and it is indeed a horrendous game. A 3D motocross game that can't even run properly in 3D with some of the worst controls and least convincing gameplay I have ever experienced.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Easy question...Kick Off.

No not that one..the one by bubble bus on the c64. Table football where the single player game meant a sloped pitch with the ball continously rolling to my goal.

Horrible
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:11 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Easy question...Kick Off.

No not that one..the one by bubble bus on the c64. Table football where the single player game meant a sloped pitch with the ball continously rolling to my goal.

Horrible
So there appears a good reason why it was called that - it caused the player to act out the games title...

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:38 pm

adippm82 wrote:These were two of the games that really broke the Plus 4 for me, it was becoming too much of a lottery at the time to go into a shop and pick up something that could really be terrible, I used to start loading a game up with trepidation rather than expectation, nowadays we have the internet to help sort the dross from the good, back then there was word of mouth, and the occasional supplement like the C16 one in Zzap to try and keep you on the right path.

I got hold of Green Beret on the 4 Konami Coin Op Hits compilation, and to be honest the other games on there are nearly as bad, £5.95 utterly wasted, not a small amount of money in 1986, same with Best Of Elite Vol.2, which is where I played Ghosts 'n' Goblins, could not believe how awful it was, one of my mates who usually was a right mickey taker, actually put his hand on my shoulder and then just said 'sorry mate'.

Elite never got the hang of the C16, only Ikari Warriors and Bomb Jack 2 are anywhere near to being acceptable quality, every other game by them is just atrocious, and Ocean/Imagine were not far behind.
I still have the 4 Konami Coin-Op Hits. Only Ping Pong was somewhat acceptable to me. Yie-Ar Kung Fu was way too easy, I beat it on my first go and it was also a multiload, on top of that it didn't loop and just said The End.

Similar with Hyper Sports only that wasn't quite as easy, awful graphics and the multiload was horrendous. I agree about Ikari and Bomb Jack 2 being good games though. Paperboy would have been better asides from the dodgy collision detection if it had the assault course at the end, I guess memory limitations prevented this though, but it was at least a brave attempt.

Commando was another poor conversion of the arcade (although OK as a game in its own right, compared to the other poor Elite and Imagine games), it being just a 5 level non scrolling single screen game, Richard Ikin the main coder was embarrassed by it so much ever since, that he is at present currently rewriting it for the C16, as well as possibly Airwolf, and even maybe 1942 which he did finish (twice) but Elite never released it and subsequently got lost.

Although the C16/Plus4 received limited coverage in magazines compared to others, it wasn't just limited to that Zzap supplement. Commodore User magazine strongly supported our machines with plentiful reviews, and programming articles. Mind you, their Ghosts 'n Goblins review has much to be desired nearly awarding it a Screen Star. I've been compiling reviews from all Commodore magazines and they have lots of reviews, even C&VG surprisingly has quite a few.

http://www.commodore16.com/the-sixteen-plus-project

I'm in the process of compiling all Commodore Computing International magazine C16/Plus4 reviews, but I'm still missing a few magazines. There has been tons of reviews and articles. Gonna take me a while.

martyg

Post by martyg » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:41 pm

davyK wrote:
the_hawk wrote:I really liked Pacman on the Atari VCS, I still do, in spite of its infamy.
I believe it was thrown together in a couple of weeks as a prototype to prove the game could be done and the developer was horrified when management decided it was good enough to go with. It actually sold quite a lot of copies - 7m or so. Problem was Atari manufactured millions more than that...probably because they paid too much for the licence and had a stupidly high sales target.
Nope. None of that is accurate.

http://ataribook.com/book/what-are-the- ... velopment/
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:09 am

Tie in games can be good even on old consoles like spectrum and gameboy .I remember batman the first one Michel Keating was in it was very good ,the game from it was great, also total recall was good both of these games were on the spectrum, Hudson hawk on the game boy was great

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Nin10dofan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:09 am
Tie in games can be good even on old consoles like spectrum and gameboy .I remember batman the first one Michel Keating was in it was very good ,the game from it was great, also total recall was good both of these games were on the spectrum, Hudson hawk on the game boy was great
SNES Batman Returns is one of my favourite games of the time.

demon

Post by demon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:37 am

I've had my share of really bad games back in the day, but it's hard to pick the absolute worse... the reality is that whenever I stumbled upon an apparently* bad game, I just ignored it and moved on. This mostly happened because on the C64 I used to buy collection tapes from newspaper kiosks rather than single-game tapes, so it wasn't a big deal to have a couple of crap titles in a tape with normally 7, 10 or 30 games.

One game that I clearly remember to have frustrated me to hell was "Underwurlde" on the C64. I don't think this game is actually considered bad at all by the general public, but I hated it because I would always get stuck somewhere and not be able to get out of it.

*I must say "apparently" because I sometimes got it really wrong... when I first had the game "Sentinel", I did not have instructions. It's impossible to understand what you are supposed to do in that game without instructions, so I thought it was an utterly horrible and useless game. Only many years after I read more about it and realized that it's actually damn interesting. Nowadays I believe there are thousands old games out there which were never really understood but would be definitely good once someone get a better understanding at them.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Well can I give two?

Well I'm going to, but I will explain...

The game I was most disappointed with was Rampage for the 8bit Atari series. This game was obviously just quickly thrown together, and could have been so much better. And the cost of 8Bit disks wasn't cheep at that time ether! So this is my personal pick.

But out and out the worst game I've ever played... by several country miles... is Hareraiser.

Why, well because it's the only game I would ever call absolute garbage and an obvious out and out con. :x
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog