Best Nintendo Controller

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best Nintendo Controller

NES
No votes
SNES
39%
Virtual Boy
No votes
N64
12%
GameCube
29%
Wii
12%
Wii U Gamepad
7%

Total votes: 41

pratty

Re: Best Nintendo Controller

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm going for the Gamecube controller. However less than ideal the d-pad may have been that was offset by the fact it was barely used/needed.

The Wiimote and Nunchuck is not bad at all though, and allowed for a lot of vairety.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Gamecube
Thoughts and prayers.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:53 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:No one has mentioned the WiiU Pro controller. its a cracking little controller.

I was going to suggest this but I thought this was just for standard controllers.

In any case, I agree; the Pro is one of the best controllers I've ever used. Monstrous battery life compared to the Gamepad as well so I usually just use the Pro.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:30 pm

^ That pro pad looks a bit too much like the 360 one in shape, imho. Haven't held it tho so I don't know what it's like, but it does bring up the question why Nintendo never released a version of the Wii U with just the pro pad. Maybe some people would prefer a cheaper system without the screened pad, even if some functionality in some games would have to be omitted (maybe adding support via patches or putting on box "this game requires screened pad").
Negative Creep wrote:I've never been a fan of the N64 pad and find it quite awkward,it would be a lot better if the d-pad and stick were over to the left.
I like the centric stick position on that pad, it simulates the joystick and there's no need to twist your fingers while accessing it like how you do on a Dual Shock pad. Anyhow, Hori gave a good alternative for those used to the more popular "dual grip" design instead of the default "trident" one. Might have been a better choice for Nintendo too since not every 5 year old could figure out the N64 pad straight away... :wink:

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:42 pm

Gamecube pad for me as it was so comfy, followed by the snes pad. But like others here the snes pad does cramp my hands after a while which is not pleasent. Needed to be a bit larger for my liking to sit in my hands better.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:53 am

outdated_gamer wrote:^ That pro pad looks a bit too much like the 360 one in shape, imho.
Too much? Is that a problem?
outdated_gamer wrote:Haven't held it tho so I don't know what it's like, but it does bring up the question why Nintendo never released a version of the Wii U with just the pro pad. Maybe some people would prefer a cheaper system without the screened pad, even if some functionality in some games would have to be omitted (maybe adding support via patches or putting on box "this game requires screened pad").
Because people are idiots and don't read the small print, they would be drawn to the lower price, then complain about the lack of functionality and how so many games required the game pad, and they would lay their stupidity at Nintendo's door, much like those who couldn't tell the obvious difference between a 3DS and DS or a Wii-U and Wii. I expect there are people who returned their 2DS to the shop becasue they expected a 3D display.
Last edited by pratty on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:31 am

pratty wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:^ That pro pad looks a bit too much like the 360 one in shape, imho.
outdated_gamer wrote:Haven't held it tho so I don't know what it's like, but it does bring up the question why Nintendo never released a version of the Wii U with just the pro pad. Maybe some people would prefer a cheaper system without the screened pad, even if some functionality in some games would have to be omitted (maybe adding support via patches or putting on box "this game requires screened pad").
Because people are idiots and don't read the small print, they would be drawn to the lower price, then complain about the lack of functionality and how so many games required the game pad, and they would lay their stupididty at Nintendo's door, much like those who couldn't tell the obvious difference between a 3DS and DS or a Wii-U and Wii. I expect there are people who returned their 2DS to the shop becasue they expected a 3D display.
Like this idiot:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-rev ... B00E4LGJ3I

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:54 am

adippm82 wrote:
pratty wrote:
Because people are idiots and don't read the small print, they would be drawn to the lower price, then complain about the lack of functionality and how so many games required the game pad, and they would lay their stupididty at Nintendo's door, much like those who couldn't tell the obvious difference between a 3DS and DS or a Wii-U and Wii. I expect there are people who returned their 2DS to the shop becasue they expected a 3D display.
Like this idiot:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-rev ... B00E4LGJ3I
:lol: Exactly. The clue is the in the name.

It's a fair idea in theory to give people the choice of Wii-U controller but in reality it's just going to be a headache for Nintendo and their retailers dealing with all the morons. People don't read, you can put all the disclaimer labels and stickers on the products and people will just see the lower price and buy it without reading/thinking. Happens all the time where I work.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:27 am

Snes as its the easiest one to use.
The N64 is IMO the worst Nintendo controller as its too bulky and fiddly.
Nes was ok for its time but a bit limited.
Gamecube is quite good but not as good as Snes
Wii is ok but slightly complicated when playing certain games.
Wii U and Virtual Boy I can't really comment as I've not used them.