Starting all over

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nesmaster

Starting all over

Post by nesmaster » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:36 pm

So after losing interest in gaming for a few years and selling my retro collection, I have decided to return. The other day I purchased an N64from my local game shop (which sells shitloads of retro gear!) and 3 games. Boxed Banjo Kajooie, Hybrid Heaven and Donkey Kong 64 all for £92.

I dont intend to have the 20+ consoles and huge amount of games I had before so I just want to get a nice little collection of N64 games. Maybe a Nes too but the prices have sky rocketed since I last bought games for it.

The N64 is probably my fave console, its the one I have the fondest memories of when I look back.
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: Starting all over

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:44 pm

WCW/nWo Revenge was the best game I ever played on the N64!
Press Play On Tape

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:26 pm

There's no way I'd sell my collection if I thought there was even a chance I'd get back into it later. With the speed prices are going up I'd never be able to afford to replace the stuff I have now.

I have thought about selling since so many of my favourite games are available on the Wii U or 3DS VC and it's much more convenient to play them that way. But I worry about the long-term future of download services. If my console dies and the servers have been shut off, I've lost these games forever. If I have them on cart they'll last a lot longer providing I look after them.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:58 am

I sold my collection in 2007 as I wasn't using it as we were getting married and starting a family. I started collecting again last year, I now have a lot more than I did before but I am also missing a few consoles and games that I really want again. These were the consoles that I sold for the most money but now they are a lot more. A boxed PC Engine Turbo Express and Nintendo Virtual Boy are top of my list, then a Neo Geo Pocket Color.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:12 am

The N64 is gonna be an expensive machine to collect for

A few titles go for over £40 (Conker for £80 cart only?) and its not really worth collecting for as most titles have aged really badly

Right now im collecting the 2600 not in an OCD "DIFFERENT LABEL OMG MUST BUY TO PUT NEXT TO THE OTHER 20 VEREANTS!!" way, but in an "I dont know this, its only a fiver ill give it a try" way,
Same kinda goes for PS2,

If you dont want a load of machines why not an all in one?
http://www.cybergadget.co.jp/retrofreak/?retco&lang=eng

Its not perfect, but it does save space
Naitch wrote:WCW/nWo Revenge was the best game I ever played on the N64!
Virtual pro wrestling 2 is better

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:52 am

Welcome back! :)

I absolutely love the N64, to me it's one of the few retro systems that really doesn't seem to age. It's best titles still feel as brilliant to play today as they did upon release years ago.

On the subject of selling collections I've done it twice now (and earned a mint!) but I'm a collector at heart. While I'm staying well away from inflated retro games (especially when emulating is so easy) last gen prices are so low I can't help but buy a tonne of them.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:33 am

Rayne wrote: On the subject of selling collections I've done it twice now (and earned a mint!) but I'm a collector at heart. While I'm staying well away from inflated retro games (especially when emulating is so easy) last gen prices are so low I can't help but buy a tonne of them.
Everdrives for that same feeling on playing on the proper console

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:56 am

DPrinny wrote:
Rayne wrote: On the subject of selling collections I've done it twice now (and earned a mint!) but I'm a collector at heart. While I'm staying well away from inflated retro games (especially when emulating is so easy) last gen prices are so low I can't help but buy a tonne of them.
Everdrives for that same feeling on playing on the proper console
Definitely a good call! Right now I'm running a Wikipad/Original Xbox for emulation and those do me fine.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:27 am

DPrinny wrote:The N64 is gonna be an expensive machine to collect for

A few titles go for over £40 (Conker for £80 cart only?) and its not really worth collecting for as most titles have aged really badly

Right now im collecting the 2600
Saying that the N64 games look aged is slightly vexing for me. I hear the same about PSX titles too. Games from those machines only look aged if you compare them to modern/current console 3D graphical capabilities which doesn't seem fair. When these games were originally released they were reasonably state of the art and were generally known to look fantastic.
I'm betting you don't think that the 2600 games you've collected look aged yet if you apply the same principal they are look positively pre-historic.
I get that that SNES/MD style 2D graphics can have a timeless quality that has been replicated across many modern machines but there is something about judging the graphical quality of a 3D game from nigh on 20 years ago by the standard that we can currently achieve that seems unfair.
Personally I think N64 games look fantastic, as do PSX games... 2600 games on the other hand... look as awful now as they did upon release.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:26 am

Naitch wrote:WCW/nWo Revenge was the best game I ever played on the N64!
and also WCW world tour and WCW vs the world on ps1
This guy are sick

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:30 am

gman72 wrote: Saying that the N64 games look aged is slightly vexing for me. I hear the same about PSX titles too. Games from those machines only look aged if you compare them to modern/current console 3D graphical capabilities which doesn't seem fair. When these games were originally released they were reasonably state of the art and were generally known to look fantastic.
I'm betting you don't think that the 2600 games you've collected look aged yet if you apply the same principal they are look positively pre-historic.
I get that that SNES/MD style 2D graphics can have a timeless quality that has been replicated across many modern machines but there is something about judging the graphical quality of a 3D game from nigh on 20 years ago by the standard that we can currently achieve that seems unfair.
Personally I think N64 games look fantastic, as do PSX games... 2600 games on the other hand... look as awful now as they did upon release.
No trust me, a lot of them look awful, all that fogging and blurring dont help, also a lot of 32bit era games look really bad, Burning Rangers on Saturn, Metal Gear Solid on PS1 and Goldeneye on N64 are perfect examples

Like with those systems back when the Atari was out it did look great and these days................

Not really, a lot of imagination is needed, but the fun is still there

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:14 am

DPrinny wrote: No trust me, a lot of them look awful, all that fogging and blurring dont help, also a lot of 32bit era games look really bad, Burning Rangers on Saturn, Metal Gear Solid on PS1 and Goldeneye on N64 are perfect examples
The 2D games on both N64 and PS1 (and of course the Saturn) hold up very well. Some 3D games do look quite nice still, like Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot series and Virtua Fighter 2 still looks nice!

The fogging and blurring on some N64 games are sometimes very welcome, compared to the textured mess we've become accustomed to in PS1 and Saturn games....although often still they lack the detail due to other limitations. I quite like the 5th generation overall though - definitely gems in all 3 of the major consoles of that gen.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:20 pm

I have to side with gman here too, PS and N64 3D games blew us all away back when they came out. Thinking that 3D graphics will hold up just as well as 2D ones is naive and probably comes from the younger generation players. GoldenEye may look like a blurry, choppy and blocky mess when compared to modern games, but back then it was the most realistic-looking console game on the market. :wink:

Same applys to many other games of the era.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:01 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:I have to side with gman here too, PS and N64 3D games blew us all away back when they came out. Thinking that 3D graphics will hold up just as well as 2D ones is naive and probably comes from the younger generation players. GoldenEye may look like a blurry, choppy and blocky mess when compared to modern games, but back then it was the most realistic-looking console game on the market. :wink:

Same applys to many other games of the era.
Indeed.

I'm not having a personal rant at DPrinny here by the way, his judgement criteria is indicative of many on the forum.

I just fail to see the logic in saying I love really old Atari games - they look great but I think that N64 games look terrible by today's standards though so I'm not gonna collect them.

The point is N64 games look amazing compared to Atari 2600 games when judged against modern games and surely we must judge the quality of our retro games graphics by the same yardsticks or it simply isn't fair so by (shall we call it Dprinny logic :wink:) that definition Atari 2600 games look infinitely more dated than the N64s.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:17 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Some 3D games do look quite nice still, like Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot series and Virtua Fighter 2 still looks nice!
Spyro is another one. The graphics are clearly 32bit but the original style doesn't seem to have aged too badly. I've been playing it again this week but on the PS3 with texture smoothing enabled and it still looks superb.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.