Vote from best to worst Nintendo's 6 main consoles and why!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sephiroth81

Re: Vote from best to worst Nintendo's 6 main consoles and w

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:08 am

1. SNES - What a vast and varied library of games, and these games still hold up well today.
2. Wii - Underrated console, has many great fun games, and Mario Galaxy is utterly terrific. (edit plus homebrew is very good on it)
3. N64 - A small batch of truly memorable games, but rather swallowed up by the Playstation. Mario 64 though, wow.
4. Gamecube - Gave colour to the 6th generation + Resi 4 and REmake!
5. Wii U - Just feels like a Wii HD and nothing more at the moment. Its also likely dead in the water. Maybe the new Zelda can salvage something
6. NES - hard to criticise really, as I never owned one, and I was impressed by the Super Mario Bros series at the time.
Last edited by Sephiroth81 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:18 am

Super NES - A fantastic machine with classics everywhere you look. Many titles have hardly aged and still look and play amazingly well.

NES - Again, a machine with a quite incredible library of classics. More-or-less defined videogaming in the 80s, for US and Japanese players anyway.

Wii U - Classic Nintendo franchises look stunning in crisp HD and despite a very small library there's real strength-in-depth with quite a few classic - and exclusive - titles.

Gamecube - The last time Nintendo had solid third-party support, the machine hosts a lot of first-party classics too. The games look good and the machine is a design classic.

Wii - Flooded with cheap, low-quality games though there are many, many diamonds in the rough. Motion controls were brilliant when properly implemented, annoying when not.

N64 - The controller is an acquired taste and blurry, low-res textures mean the games have aged visually. Nintendo and Rare kept up a steady flow of quality games but there wasn't much else.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:38 am

Best to Worst

SNES - The pinnacle of my childhood gaming with Nintendo, so its the best for me

NES - Next best for me. Great system. Seem to get more enjoyment
from the NES than the SNES these days.

NGC - Solid library of games, and provided me with much of my
gaming entertainment, post Dreamcast.

Wii - Great 1st Party titles, and solid contribution from 3rd
part developers like Sega, with tons of compilaton games and
re releases, made this a solid entry console

Wii U - Solid library of games now, but just doesn't have that
closeness that the other consoles have. Maybe its because we
weren't spoilt for choice for gaming entertainment back in the
day like we are now, so we only had the likes of Nintendo
or Sega (for most of us)

N64 - The only Nintendo console I never owned at the time
of its release, as by that time I was infatuated by the Sega
Saturn, and its array of arcade ports. So for that reason alone
its the bottom of my list

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:53 am

1. SNES
1000000000000. The others.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:24 pm

1. SNES
2. Gamecube

1000000000000. The others.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:34 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:The only game that interested me was Mario Galaxy, but that wasn't a good enough reason to buy a system that costed more than a Xbox 360 did, which offered way more for the money.
Eh? The Wii came out over here in December 2006 and the original RRP was £179.99. The 360 came out in 2005 and I doubt it had already fallen to less than £180 in the shops.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:48 pm

1. Wii u...
2.gamecube
3.snes
4.n64
5.wii
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Megamixer wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:The only game that interested me was Mario Galaxy, but that wasn't a good enough reason to buy a system that costed more than a Xbox 360 did, which offered way more for the money.
Eh? The Wii came out over here in December 2006 and the original RRP was £179.99. The 360 came out in 2005 and I doubt it had already fallen to less than £180 in the shops.
Wii remained capped at 250 Euros here while you could get a Xbox 360 Core or Arcade for less than 200 Euros. It did not have a HDD but if you didn't intend to play online it was good enough, certainly a much more capable system than Wii was and with much better 3rd party support.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:17 pm

SNES - easily one of my favourite consoles of all time, so many classics, still great to play
Gamecube - dserved to do a lot better, controller was brilliant to use even if it looked hideous
Nintendo 64 - some great games, although some haven't aged well, but I never liked the fuzzy graphics and found the controller uncomfortable
NES - didn't own one as a kid but have a lot of happy memories at friend's houses. Some games still shine through but today the often fearsome difficulty is a turn off
Wii - turns out it was a dead end gimmick all along. Great for party and dance games, a pain for anything else

Wii U - haven't played it so cannot rate

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:24 pm

Based purely on my personal preference...

N64 - This one holds the most nostalgia for me but also, imo, the most classics. Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 2, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Conker's Bad Fur Day, I could go on. It still sees regular play from me today and I feel like all of the games hold up extremely well.

GameCube - The last time Nintendo seemed to compete with it's rivals. Ignoring the absolutely stupid disc design it had some cracking games, what makes this so memorable is how many of the recurring franchises took a new direction. The cell shading in Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Double Dash - all familiar games with mechanics/aesthetics that made them all feel totally fresh.

Wii - While the motion controls were absolute garbage for...well...everything, that didn't stop the excellent first party Nintendo titles (Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, etc). What made the Wii so enjoyable was the huge selection of niche Japanese titles (Muramasa, Fragile Dreams, etc etc) and party games. As inaccurate and shallow as many games may be that doesn't necessarily mean they're not fun in a group.

SNES - Filled with genre defining classics, not as good as the MD though :mrgreen:

NES - Genre defining, history making games. It's just a bit too far before my time, I can appreciate the games but they don't hold my attention.

Wii U - Meh. It's a fun system, the games are excellent it's just not...memorable. It doesn't make much of an impression.

JenGamer

Post by JenGamer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:58 pm

Assigning points for each vote - 6 points 1st, 5 points for 2nd, 4 points for 3rd, 3 points for 4th, 2 points for 5th and 1 point for last! added up altogether the scores so far are:

SNES 97
Gamecube 79
Wii 71
N64 69
NES 56
Wii U 47

If anyone is interested Sega's results so far on their topic are:
Megadrive 106
Dreamcast 77
Saturn 61
Master System 56

Looking at both the Sega and Nintendo vote's so far it shows the 16 Bit era to be the most loved! The Master System and NES are both scoring pretty low though.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:23 am

SNES - All round amazing console.
Game Boy - Not on the list but it dang well should be
Wii - lots to love about the wii's catalogue of games
N64/NES/NGC - varying degrees of "meh" with the occasionally nifty game
Wii U - not had enough experience with one to form an opinion

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:01 am

1. SNES - best games, best controller (only downside was the high price of games at the time)
2. Gamecube - massively underated, some of the best games of that generation, loved the controller and console design
3. Wii - hated by many for it's 'waggle' controls and vast shovelware - but there are 100's of classic titles if you look hard enough + full Gamecube support (and it's the best modern console to emulate on!)
4. Wii U - I'm not overly keen on the large controller but there are plenty of high quality titles + fully backward compatible with all Wii games.
5. N64 - home of some of the best games ever made, but the blur/fog is a problem making many titles unplayable today; didn't like the original controller either - I replaced mine with the lovely Hori pad!
6. NES - some wonderful games, but it's still overrated for me; I always preferred the Master System at the time - even though I've put it in last place I still think it's a great machine.

Spirit of AHB

Post by Spirit of AHB » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:19 pm

Wii - Flooded with cheap, low-quality games though there are many, many diamonds in the rough. Motion controls were brilliant when properly implemented, annoying when not.
four words carnival games mini golf prehaps the worst game i ever played and mario kart wii was poor in my opinon the motion controls were just too frustrating to use and dont get me started on the amount of blue shells however mario kart 8 was a hell of alot better and i cant wait for the next one.

any how back to the topic my vote goes to snes because of mario allstars

n-g-m

Post by n-g-m » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:31 pm

1) SNES - Zelda ALTTP, Super Metroid, Super Mario World/Allstars/Kart, Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3, Street Fighter 2 (all variants), Secret of Mana, Super Castlevania, Super Probotector, Super Bombeman 1,2,3 ... Need I go on?

2) NES - My first ever console. Super Mario Bros 1,2,3, Zelda 1&2, Castelvania 1,2,3, Megaman 1-4, Metroid, + other hidden gems like Snake Rattle n Roll and Faxanadu

3) Wii - Got the family involved. Many cracking games released too Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, Zelda TP (I personally can't stand SS), Wii Sports, New SMB, Just Dance, etc... Plus backward compatibility with my favourite GC games and VC should I wish to pay fairly cheap prices for older games. Not mentioned the ton of rubbish as you don't have to buy all of it!

4) N64 - despite the fact it has my favourite game of all time on it (Zelda OOT), I just didn't play as many games on this as the others. It could be due to me being at university then so beer took central stage and then I got hooked up with the missus. Mario 64 and Kart were awesome, Zelda MM I liked but the save system sucked, Banjo Kazooie is great too but apart from those I didn't play much more. I can't really get on with FPS's such as Goldeneye as the camera movements make me feel sick - sigh!

5) Cube - Some very good games but I played less than N64 due to a growing family. Still I really enjoyed Zelda Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Double Dash but was sad to see Metroid go FPS even though it is critically acclaimed.

6) Wii U - never played one but want one for Christmas so it may move up the list someday.

Edit: the Super Gameboy also lit up the SNES as I could play all my favourite Gameboy games too!