Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Spector » Sun May 28, 2017 8:01 am

The Beans wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 5:16 am
Spector wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 5:03 am
I've gone on to the Raileasy.co.uk website and looked at train tickets from Glasgow Central to Manchester and it confuses me when it says with an "!" beside it : "Your selected inbound journey is between Deansgate and Glasgow Central. Your selected inbound fare is valid between Manchester station and Glasgow station."

I don't know about Deansgate, but is it near the manchester stations? Does it make much difference?
Deansgate is right on top of Manchester Oxford Road (literally a two minute walk), a short distance from Manchester Picadilly (five minute walk maybe) but a fair way from Manchester Victoria. So the ticket might be valid for all three as a zonal thing.
Either way, if your ticket is way cheaper by getting off at Deansgate you're still right in the heart of Manchester. In fact, I'd just stay on the train until Picadilly anyway. Dunno which is best for way trams/trains though. When I went to the arcade I went to Victoria.
Okay ta for that. It certainly is much cheaper getting off at Deansgate, so it's really a question now of figuring out a way from Deangate to the Tram that takes me into Bury.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14266
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Spector wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 8:01 am
The Beans wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 5:16 am
Spector wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 5:03 am
I've gone on to the Raileasy.co.uk website and looked at train tickets from Glasgow Central to Manchester and it confuses me when it says with an "!" beside it : "Your selected inbound journey is between Deansgate and Glasgow Central. Your selected inbound fare is valid between Manchester station and Glasgow station."

I don't know about Deansgate, but is it near the manchester stations? Does it make much difference?
Deansgate is right on top of Manchester Oxford Road (literally a two minute walk), a short distance from Manchester Picadilly (five minute walk maybe) but a fair way from Manchester Victoria. So the ticket might be valid for all three as a zonal thing.
Either way, if your ticket is way cheaper by getting off at Deansgate you're still right in the heart of Manchester. In fact, I'd just stay on the train until Picadilly anyway. Dunno which is best for way trams/trains though. When I went to the arcade I went to Victoria.
Okay ta for that. It certainly is much cheaper getting off at Deansgate, so it's really a question now of figuring out a way from Deangate to the Tram that takes me into Bury.


There's a tram stop across a footbridge from Deansgate station. From there you get on the tram to Bury (there's usually one about every 15 mins. Costs a fiver return to Bury. As I've mentioned before the first time you travel from Bury metro station to the arcade, I'd go by taxi. It's only a 15 minute walk (probably 5 mins in a taxi) but it's not the easiest place to find on foot.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

flatapex
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by flatapex » Mon May 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Spector- if you come down on a day I can make it I will give you a lift from bury Metrolink
Image

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7522
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Shinobi » Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Went there Saturday and WOW absolutely amazing could have done with more time but it was a 4 hour drive. So many original cabs that I had gave up on ever expecting to see or play again..

Mostly on Midnight Resistance, Hunchback, Gorf, Out Run hydrolic and Chase HQ, almost 1cc'ed Hunchback extra level not on C64 version when I rescued Esmeralda.

Also got to play lots of Pinballs, Crazy Kong, Golden Axe, Quartet and Op Wolf/Mechanised Attack.

If you do Starblade it will be perfect.

You had a lot of games in a room such as original Popeye you appeared to be working on.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
ArcadeClub
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Bury, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by ArcadeClub » Mon May 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 pm
Went there Saturday and WOW absolutely amazing could have done with more time but it was a 4 hour drive. So many original cabs that I had gave up on ever expecting to see or play again..

Mostly on Midnight Resistance, Hunchback, Gorf, Out Run hydrolic and Chase HQ, almost 1cc'ed Hunchback extra level not on C64 version when I rescued Esmeralda.

Also got to play lots of Pinballs, Crazy Kong, Golden Axe, Quartet and Op Wolf/Mechanised Attack.

If you do Starblade it will be perfect.

You had a lot of games in a room such as original Popeye you appeared to be working on.
Hey, thanks for visiting :) we have a lot(!) of projects we're working on or are in the queue :) if I see a starblade and it can do 15 hours continuous uptime, i'll pick it up :)

Andy

User avatar
ArchaicKoala
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:52 am

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue May 30, 2017 5:06 am

I was there with three work mates on Friday night and despite it being brutally hot in there (we did go on one of the hottest days of the year mind...) we had a fantastic time!

Such a fantastic selection of machines to play, just not enough time to properly play them all. Overall I think the Hot Rod machine got the most play from us all, it's just so addictive for such a basic game.
We will definitely be returning! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Mire Mare
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:11 am
Location: onboard the Stellar Patrol Ship Feinstein

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Mire Mare » Tue May 30, 2017 9:47 am

I'm visiting on the 10th June for the first time. Cannot wait! So many great games to play and I hear there's a bar too! I wonder if this is what Belinda Carlisle meant when she sang about Heaven being a place on Earth....

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Spector » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 am

I was in Bury this weekend and visited the Arcade Club. It truly is mammoth and has absolutely tons of classics. It wasn't too busy either, and the food/drink bar has better prices than you would get for any event. There was too much about it that was good to go into here, so I'll mention the little things that could be improved: please bring Arkanoid in, as it's mentioned on the Arcade Club page and I haven't played it in over thirty years. Cosmic Avenger and Jungle Hunt/King didn't seem to be there either, but Arkanoid is the main one. Also, the beautiful Space Invaders Part II cabinet has a joystick controller doesn't move to the left so well. I got killed a lot moving left and the ship stuck. It works the majority of the time, but not always. Galaga seemed to have a fire button that wasn't too responsive either, though it could still be played. And that's it, really. The other five billion machines were great.

There are Play Expo events with a similar selection of cabinets and I've been to some of them in the last twelve months. I can say without question if you're able to make the choice, go to Arcade Club instead. It has a much wider range of games and you don't pay through the nose for food and drink. BOOK NOW!!! :mrgreen:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24373
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:51 am

With tech problems its best to tell someone behind the bar and they can get a techy type to fix it

There is also a few classic cabs on the 2nd floor, one is Jungle hunt

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Spector » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 am

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:51 am
With tech problems its best to tell someone behind the bar and they can get a techy type to fix it

There is also a few classic cabs on the 2nd floor, one is Jungle hunt
Oh no! I thought they were all on the third floor! What were the other ones?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

psj3809
Posts: 18740
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:23 am

Yeah at the moment theres two floors. The other floor with more modern stuff still has a fair few retro games there and arcade machines. I'm sure this is the floor with some pinball round the back as well.

Love Arcade Club, amazing place with so many classics.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24373
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:08 am

Spector wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 am
DPrinny wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:51 am
With tech problems its best to tell someone behind the bar and they can get a techy type to fix it

There is also a few classic cabs on the 2nd floor, one is Jungle hunt
Oh no! I thought they were all on the third floor! What were the other ones?
As said, the 2nd floor has a lot of stuff you wont see elsewhere.
A lot of rhythm games, but also a few older machines, cant fully list as stuff gets moved around a lot, but I have seen Strider (dedicated). Jungle hunt, 720, video pinball, actual pinball tables, Mappy and Moon alien (?)
Thats just what I can remember

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7522
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 am

Arkanoid was on floor 3 Had a weird dial controller. Where the restaurant/tuck shop with the 3 pinball machines. The sofas and original crazy kong there was 5 cabs against the wall. Track and Field, Burgertime, Arkanoid and 2 others
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Spector » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:18 am

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 am
Arkanoid was on floor 3 Had a weird dial controller. Where the restaurant/tuck shop with the 3 pinball machines. The sofas and original crazy kong there was 5 cabs against the wall. Track and Field, Burgertime, Arkanoid and 2 others
A lot of that stuff is still in the bar area - Burgertime, Galaga, Galaxian and Frenzy (in a Berzerk table) all in cocktail tables.... but no Arkanoid! I need that weird dial controller!!!!! I'll definitely need to go down there again, it's too good to miss out on, but I'll ask the owner if Arkanoid is ready next time. So sad to miss out on Jungle King. Maybe Cosmic Avenger was on floor two as well.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

psj3809
Posts: 18740
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:40 am

Really liked that controller on Arkanoid, the dial kinda thing. Sure i used to just play it with the trackball before and wasnt there a version with buttons ? Which was a nightmare to use.

Plays way too fast for an old timer like myself though, not great at it but loved the home ports

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests