Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spector

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Spector » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:59 pm

the_hawk wrote:Manchester's pretty well served for infrastructure, then it's a short tram ride to Bury & either a 1 mile walk or taxi out to Cork Street.
I didn't know about the trams in Manchester - are they easy to find from the train station, (hopefully that question doesn't sound dumb)?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:15 pm

Trams from both stations end up in Bury.

Just dont get them mixed up with trans, they offer a diffrent kind of ride

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:38 pm

DPrinny wrote: Just dont get them mixed up with trans, they offer a diffrent kind of ride
Ah right, so that's what I did wrong when I went down there last time; I knew there was something different about the driver!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Dead easy to get to Bury, bit tougher to find the place. Id recommend train to any a Manchester station then return tram ticket to Bury (just under a fiver). In all honesty for your first trip I'd recommend a taxi there. Getting back is easier as you just head for The Rock centre, as that's near the town centre and easy to spot.

Id also say go on a Sunday rather than a Saturday as it seems less busy (not been on Friday).
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:48 pm

As for floor 2, there wasn't enough there to warrant the extra over for me, but if you like multi PC gaming it's probably worth it. But it was also a lot quieter and chilled, so defo some good points. Just think theres maybe room for some bigger cabs - maybe a Space Harrier or R360. Having said that, the main arcade has been improved even more with an even wider variety of machines and is an absolute bargain for a tenner.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:54 pm

More is coming to it after the 8blip flip event, they are keeping it clear for Pinball tables

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 am

The one criticism I made of the old place was the collective noise of so many machines close together: you simply couldn't hear the games you were playing. That's a real pity for machines like Out Run and Paperboy. What's it like in the new place soundwise?

ArcadeClub

Post by ArcadeClub » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Spector wrote:The one criticism I made of the old place was the collective noise of so many machines close together: you simply couldn't hear the games you were playing. That's a real pity for machines like Out Run and Paperboy. What's it like in the new place soundwise?
Hi Spector,
It is an unfortunate effect of having 200 machines in close proximity as it was in the heyday of arcades - which is what AC is all about! :) if you increase the volume of one machine the one next to it sounds soft...
it's a difficult one to get right, spread the machines out and you lose numbers (people will travel for 250 machines - maybe not so much for 100, also theres more chance of the games they remember actually being on the floor)
I think people are used to playing one game at once in their own home (usually on mame) with just the sound of that game to focus on...
Outrun deluxe shouldn't have been a issue though it has speakers next to your ears :)

Andy

ArcadeClub

Post by ArcadeClub » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:30 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:As for floor 2, there wasn't enough there to warrant the extra over for me, but if you like multi PC gaming it's probably worth it. But it was also a lot quieter and chilled, so defo some good points. Just think theres maybe room for some bigger cabs - maybe a Space Harrier or R360. Having said that, the main arcade has been improved even more with an even wider variety of machines and is an absolute bargain for a tenner.
Hi there!,
Floor 2 is a £5 'bolt on' for Arcade Club - it would be impossible to include it in the £10 entry (and still be open in 6 months time :D)
I created Floor 2 as a way to show people games didn't just stop in the 80's/90's good games can be found today in many different forms...
most people love it, a few don't - and thats fine, some people who visit Floor 2 don't like the main arcade and again thats fine, it proves my point
games and gamers come in many shapes and forms with very varied tastes and opinions on what makes a good game, I hope to address all gaming
across all formats in near future - why have just toast everyday when theres a whole menu to go at? ;)

Andy

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Loved the interview on Retro Hour. Am deffo coming for a visit soon.

atariman72

Post by atariman72 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Spector wrote:
atariman72 wrote:Travelled down from Glasgow for the day earlier this month and it was well worth the trip. Lots of lovely old arcade machines in great condition.
Could have spent all afternoon playing Off Road Racer quite happily but there was just so much else to see and play!

The new floor is good as well, had a wander round it then chilled out with a latte and a copy of Artcade on a nice comfy sofa :)

Well done to Andy and all involved.
I'm curious as to how you travelled down there since I'm up north too. Was it by train? How did you get there?? It seems too far to me and too awkward to get to, but I'm looking for you to prove me wrong :)
I travelled by train from Glasgow Central to Manchester via Preston (took about 3 hours, got the 6.30am train). Then just a short walk to another bit of Picadilly station and onto the tram. At the other end it's only a 20 minute walk to the club. Headed back up on the 5.30pm train that evening and was home again just after 9pm. Well worth the trip and I'll probably go again in a few months time.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:13 pm

Anyone that is thinking of going down on the tram and doesn't know the way just let me know, don't mind giving lifts if i know in advance. I don't take much persuading to tag along. Taxis are roughly 5 minutes walk from the tram platform, if needed i can give very detailed instructions

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Spector wrote:
the_hawk wrote:Manchester's pretty well served for infrastructure, then it's a short tram ride to Bury & either a 1 mile walk or taxi out to Cork Street.
I didn't know about the trams in Manchester - are they easy to find from the train station, (hopefully that question doesn't sound dumb)?
Piccadilly and Victoria, yes.

Deansgate meh

Oxford road/ Salford central- no.

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Took a visit on Sunday from Coventry as part of a trip to Manchester - Arcade Club, what a great place! I mainly went for the pinball (Twilight Zone, Metallica and FunHouse especially!) but had a go on Ghouls and Ghosts, Pacland and Bishi Bashi :) The flat entrance fee is a great idea, and I'll be trying to persuade my friends to visit later in the year :)

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed May 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Bit of a thread bump...

I'm looking at going in a few weeks with a few people from work, really looking forward to it! :D

What do you lot think of the second floor?