Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:14 pm

Managed to get there today, and wow - it's as fantastic as others have said. Relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff and a well thought out layout. As has been mentioned, the lighting , the atmosphere, the sounds - just like an arcade from the 80s. The only machine I'd like to have seen was Battlezone, but I guess that's pretty hard to come by.

One suggestion - could you have Outrun 2 SP running instead of the original Outrun 2 as it's a far,far better game?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Pointman

Post by Pointman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:34 pm

They definitely had Battlezone there when I went.
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!

ArcadeClub

Post by ArcadeClub » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:13 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Managed to get there today, and wow - it's as fantastic as others have said. Relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff and a well thought out layout. As has been mentioned, the lighting , the atmosphere, the sounds - just like an arcade from the 80s. The only machine I'd like to have seen was Battlezone, but I guess that's pretty hard to come by.

One suggestion - could you have Outrun 2 SP running instead of the original Outrun 2 as it's a far,far better game?
Hi - Outrun 2 SP twin is incoming!... :) The OR2 cab then will be put back to Initial D 3
Battle Zone popped a bridge rectifier on the monitor - part is ordered and expected this week so it should be back on the floor this weekend :)

Thanks for visiting! ;)

Andy

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:23 pm

ArcadeClub wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Managed to get there today, and wow - it's as fantastic as others have said. Relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff and a well thought out layout. As has been mentioned, the lighting , the atmosphere, the sounds - just like an arcade from the 80s. The only machine I'd like to have seen was Battlezone, but I guess that's pretty hard to come by.

Hi - Outrun 2 SP twin is incoming!... :) The OR2 cab then will be put back to Initial D 3
Battle Zone popped a bridge rectifier on the monitor - part is ordered and expected this week so it should be back on the floor this weekend :)

Thanks for visiting! ;)

Andy
SP Twin - that sounds fab!

Defo go back for another shot when BZ is up an running, it left a real impression on me when it first came out.

I had heard about the arcade , but didn't realise it was going to be quite as good as it is. To say that there are loads of free-to-play arcade games is only half the story; the set-up makes it feel like you're actually in an '80s arcade. Awesome.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:40 am

This happened

Started by me and Rhys (not on here?) mentioning it to him

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:09 am

Got myself an 'Atic Atac' 3d sculpture on my last visit. Rally cool, unique item (as in they'll all hand made so slightly different) and a snip for £20.

One thing I did realise and (gasp!) Star Wars 'sit down' cab is not as great as I remember. Yes it's cool to play with the original controller and all the original cool speech samples, but games like Hypersports, Op Wolf and Outrun 2SP were the games that I kept going back to - also getting a lot more into the pinball (which emulation simply cant compare with)

If I had a wishlist of the top 10 games I'd like to see there -

Dragons Lair/Space Ace
Rampage
Ridge Racer
Football Champ
Bank Panic
Robocop
King of Boxing
Road Fighter
The Main Event
Green Bert
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ArcadeClub

Post by ArcadeClub » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:37 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Got myself an 'Atic Atac' 3d sculpture on my last visit. Rally cool, unique item (as in they'll all hand made so slightly different) and a snip for £20.

One thing I did realise and (gasp!) Star Wars 'sit down' cab is not as great as I remember. Yes it's cool to play with the original controller and all the original cool speech samples, but games like Hypersports, Op Wolf and Outrun 2SP were the games that I kept going back to - also getting a lot more into the pinball (which emulation simply cant compare with)

Dragons Lair/Space Ace
Rampage
Ridge Racer
Football Champ
Bank Panic
Robocop
King of Boxing
Road Fighter
The Main Event
Green Bert
Hi, Thanks for visiting! :)
We have all those games bar 2 (King of Boxing & Football champ)
we only(!) have room for around 200 machines at the moment, this will change this Autumn when we open another floor! :)
the playable machines will then stand at around 300 and will mean many on your list will be available permanently...
(Dragons Lair, Rampage, Banc Panic, Robocop, Green Beret etc..)

Hope to see you soon,

Andy/Arcade Club

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:27 pm

ArcadeClub wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Got myself an 'Atic Atac' 3d sculpture on my last visit. Rally cool, unique item (as in they'll all hand made so slightly different) and a snip for £20.

Dragons Lair/Space Ace
Rampage
Ridge Racer
Football Champ
Bank Panic
Robocop
King of Boxing
Road Fighter
The Main Event
Green Bert
Hi, Thanks for visiting! :)
We have all those games bar 2 (King of Boxing & Football champ)
we only(!) have room for around 200 machines at the moment, this will change this Autumn when we open another floor! :)
the playable machines will then stand at around 300 and will mean many on your list will be available permanently...
(Dragons Lair, Rampage, Banc Panic, Robocop, Green Beret etc..)

Hope to see you soon,

Andy/Arcade Club
#

Brill! Please post again when this happens as I'll definitely be coming again (if not sooner!)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Floor 2 at a glance

You can tell a lot of thinking is going into this, tons of planning (and money)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:16 am

I need to go back there soon. Another floor should be amazing, not so keen on the modern stuff but its great it'll be in one place and to try it out. Hope the arcade has been a success for Andy, sounds like its going well
Yeah i saw them in a facebook group and i still wasnt sure. Seeing them in person at Arcade Club made my mind up, the photos you see dont do them justice. I've got 2 already and i want to get some more, the latest Atari Pitfall one seems great and he's going to do more arcade ones as well. I've got Bubble Bobble/Knight Lore and they're superb

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:31 am

I saw a MEGA R@RE thing the other day
A four player PONG machine (Not Atari) its a thing of beauty, all original parts, no replacements (ok the odd valve), even the TV is the same one it came with
psj3809 wrote:I need to go back there soon. Another floor should be amazing, not so keen on the modern stuff but its great it'll be in one place and to try it out. Hope the arcade has been a success for Andy, sounds like its going well
You will like the 2nd floor, will have more than modern stuff

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:44 pm

right then lets do this, an rg forum meet at arcade club.

18th march sounds like a good day?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:54 am

Dragons Lair/Space Ace
Rampage
Ridge Racer
Football Champ
Bank Panic
Robocop
King of Boxing
Road Fighter
The Main Event
Green Bert
Also worth contacting Andy who runs/owns Arcade club. In the past i've asked him if hes got a game and he often has and he'll put the board in for me before i go there next time. I've played Green Beret there before and Robocop as they're two of my favourites

RetroPlayer

Post by RetroPlayer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:27 am

This looks like a really great place. Very well done all those involved with setting this up.
We need more of these facilities to preserve and enjoy classic/modern arcade machines. :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:01 am

RetroPlayer wrote:This looks like a really great place. Very well done all those involved with setting this up.
We need more of these facilities to preserve and enjoy classic/modern arcade machines. :D
Places like this pop up, then go away, mainly because the management either trys to run it for profit or they have no clue what they are doing, or both.
Worse case is if they stick in a load of mame cabs that are just generic machines with the guts replaced and charge a quid a ago.

One did pop up in Manchester and had modern remake arcade cabs (LCD and 6 buttons on a Pacman?) not heard anything good about it