Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
the_hawk
Posts: 5852
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:15 pm

MikeFishcake wrote:
ArcadeClub wrote:Really? we've changed the logo so it has a wider range than just representing 'Retro' games, we're moving the club into much wider areas this year including VR/PC LAN and much more including supporting the fighting and other communities - this has been on the cards for many months and all the members we asked before we changed liked the new improved logo more! :)
This has made me even more interested - when I have friends round to play some retro games, we always seem to end up playing some absolutely corking indie games on 4 player, like Starwhal, Speedrunners, Porcunipine, Particle Mace, Sportsfriends and Chompy Chomp Chomp.

If you could have some "pick up and play" areas with games like this where people can just join in with a random group of strangers, playing some multiplayer games, that would be brilliant. (I've not been, so you might have something like this already)

ProjectorGames really nailed this at the Play/Replay expos with their 24 player bomberman clone/racing game and others, and it was a brilliant social atmosphere where people can just dip and in and out when they like.
Yeah there's an area near the bar with a 4 player Warlords cocktail cab, and teles with games consoles & stuff....man I really need to get back there for an evening soon. :-)
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

flatapex
Posts: 2706
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by flatapex » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:16 pm

i'll be heading down for a weekend day at some point
Image

User avatar
MikeFishcake
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Manchester/Stockport
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by MikeFishcake » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:59 pm

the_hawk wrote:Yeah there's an area near the bar with a 4 player Warlords cocktail cab, and teles with games consoles & stuff....man I really need to get back there for an evening soon. :-)
Right. Me and Fishcake jnr are coming tomorrow. Hooray!

User avatar
MikeFishcake
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Manchester/Stockport
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:50 am

...and we did!

I just want to add to the compliments in this thread; it's truly amazing.

Even when it's busy, there are still plenty of machines to play on. I got to play on many of the machines that I'd previously not been able to at the Replay events, and because there are so many machines at Arcade Club, there wasn't ever anyone hanging around behind us, aching for a go on the cabinet.

And I got the highest score of the day on Galaga 88 (94,720 on Dual Ship start - not a patch on the Twin Galaxies high score of 1,575,490 though :shock: )

I'll hopefully be gathering a crowd of friends to come down in the next month or so. I was only there for about 4 and a half hours, but I could have stayed much longer!

User avatar
ArcadeClub
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Bury, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by ArcadeClub » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:04 am

MikeFishcake wrote:...and we did!

I just want to add to the compliments in this thread; it's truly amazing.

Even when it's busy, there are still plenty of machines to play on. I got to play on many of the machines that I'd previously not been able to at the Replay events, and because there are so many machines at Arcade Club, there wasn't ever anyone hanging around behind us, aching for a go on the cabinet.

And I got the highest score of the day on Galaga 88 (94,720 on Dual Ship start - not a patch on the Twin Galaxies high score of 1,575,490 though :shock: )

I'll hopefully be gathering a crowd of friends to come down in the next month or so. I was only there for about 4 and a half hours, but I could have stayed much longer!
Thank you Mike :) Galaga 88 will be going into its own Dedicated Original atari cabinet soon with Pacmania and Splatterhouse, when you visit next time ask for Andy and
i'll go through some of the amazing things happening this year at Arcade Club (and discuss whats coming in and what you'd like to see here)

Andy

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24981
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:37 am

You got my SkyKid board running?

User avatar
ArcadeClub
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Bury, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by ArcadeClub » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:41 am

DPrinny wrote:You got my SkyKid board running?
I think your mixing me up with James - I look like a Biker from the 80's - He Doesn't :D
I'll ask him mate

Andy

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24981
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:51 am

I did give my permission to use it when I spoke to him during the Play Expo pack up, as I dont have a machine to do so

Its a great game and id rather it get played by people rather than stuck in a box at home

User avatar
MikeFishcake
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Manchester/Stockport
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:19 pm

ArcadeClub wrote:when you visit next time ask for Andy and i'll go through some of the amazing things happening this year at Arcade Club (and discuss whats coming in and what you'd like to see here)
Yep - definitely will do. Always happy to jabber on ideas :D

User avatar
the_hawk
Posts: 5852
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by the_hawk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:34 am

Planning to head up there on Friday night to "celebrate" the fact that I turn 40.

Feel free to join me, the more the merrier.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

flatapex
Posts: 2706
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by flatapex » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:02 am

Well I went down last night for Davey's birthday, and what a genius idea that was :D

I MUST visit more often, seriously the coolest place ever, came down straight from work and very glad i did. Indy 500 is an awesome game (love my racers as you lot all know), and gauntlet legends was much more enjoyable than expected.

Arcade Club is run by the nicest people imaginable, I think it was Andy that spoke to me and what a thoroughly nice guy, giving serious thought to signing up for a membership when they come in and making friday night my regular night out there.

Street fighter vs prinny, he kicked my backside :lol:
Image

Pointman
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Pointman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:49 am

Spent the day here yesterday (travelled all the way from Wales) and it was really brilliant. There were a great selection of games (although I noticed I'd seen a few of the games at Play Expo before, I found out I have a new high score to beat on Star Wars Trilogy Arcade) and it was great to see a SFV tourney going on there at the same time. The place was heaving. The bar and shop area were also welcome additions, it was relieving to know that there were settee's there to take the weight off your feet if needed. But the thing that struck me the most was the "feel" of the place, it actually felt like an arcade of old and it was that pang of nostalgia that made the most impact. It shows that the arcade model still works in this day and age and that is heartwarming to see. The only thing missing was a Hang On cab that blares out that unmistakable attract music (surely a staple of all late 80s/early 90s arcades) and a copy of Ketsui (but this is a personal preference), other than that it's a smashing place that everyone needs to check out if they can.
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!

User avatar
ArcadeClub
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Bury, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by ArcadeClub » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Pointman wrote:Spent the day here yesterday (travelled all the way from Wales) and it was really brilliant. There were a great selection of games (although I noticed I'd seen a few of the games at Play Expo before, I found out I have a new high score to beat on Star Wars Trilogy Arcade) and it was great to see a SFV tourney going on there at the same time. The place was heaving. The bar and shop area were also welcome additions, it was relieving to know that there were settee's there to take the weight off your feet if needed. But the thing that struck me the most was the "feel" of the place, it actually felt like an arcade of old and it was that pang of nostalgia that made the most impact. It shows that the arcade model still works in this day and age and that is heartwarming to see. The only thing missing was a Hang On cab that blares out that unmistakable attract music (surely a staple of all late 80s/early 90s arcades) and a copy of Ketsui (but this is a personal preference), other than that it's a smashing place that everyone needs to check out if they can.
Hi, thank you for visiting us on Saturday, I'm glad you enjoyed the experience, amazing things are going to happen to Arcade Club in the next few months...
We loaned a few of our cabs to Play last year (thats why SW had your score :) )
If you message me a few days before you visit next i'll swap the Dodonpachi PCB for Ketsui ;) also we have Hang-on but its currently being repaired/restored
(Along with about 100 other cabs & Projects :D)

Andy

Pointman
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by Pointman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:15 pm

That's excellent news about Ketsui. All I'd need then are Elevator Action Returns and an Area 51 cab together with Ketsui and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade and I'd have my 4 favourite arcade games there! You'd have to forcibly evict me every night :lol:
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!

User avatar
ArcadeClub
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Bury, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Europe's largest arcade - in Bury !

Post by ArcadeClub » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:24 pm

Pointman wrote:That's excellent news about Ketsui. All I'd need then are Elevator Action Returns and an Area 51 cab together with Ketsui and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade and I'd have my 4 favourite arcade games there! You'd have to forcibly evict me every night :lol:
We have Area 51 and Maximum force in storage - they will be making an appearance soon :) EAR is on the acquire list :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DPrinny and 4 guests