Best "Kart" racer?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

is

Super Mario Kart
42%
Diddy Kong Racing
9%
Crash Team Racing
7%
Sega All-Star Racing
11%
LittleBigPlanet Karting
2%
Mario Kart 64
15%
Mario Kart 8
9%
Street Racer
No votes
Lego Racers
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes: 55

Megamixer

Re: Best "Kart" racer?

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Has anybody actually played that dreadful Crazy Frog Racer kart game? Surely the absolute worst?
An a horrific reminder of the Crazy Frog as an entity! Can't believe that was only in 2005. I thought it was longer ago. That horrible music video - kind of reminded me of the bike driving scene in Final Fantasy 7 for some reason.

Of course they had to cash in and have a terrible game as well. Ugh.
I just noticed...that there is a SEQUEL!!!! :shock:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:03 pm

New cool-looking kart racer, Super Indie Karts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK1IV6zoqOg

Looks very SNES SMK-like which is a good thing.

Mortis

Post by Mortis » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Super Mario Kart on the SNES one of the best games ever made wins hands down. The others are try to be versions with better graphics but theres only one winner in gameplay....and music for that matter.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Two more interesting kart racers - Virtual Karting on Amiga (amazing graphics and speed, if some pretty noticeable dithering artifacts) and Super Karts (+ it's sequel, Manic Karts) for DOS. There was also Microprose's (of F1 Grand Prix and Falcon fame) Virtual Karts which was more of a karting sim.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:05 am

Super Mario Kart had perfect handling and actively rewarded you for driving well. However, later games introduced those "rubber-band physics" which meant you could have a perfect race all the way through, only to have an AI kart speed past you unfairly at the finish line - and those have only gotten worse as the series has progressed. I've got to be honest, Mario Kart Wii put me off buying anything newer in the Mario Kart series. As a game it seems to punish you for even thinking of coming in at any position above dead last. Reached second position? Here comes 2 thunderbolts, 4 red shells, a bullet bill, a squid and 3 starred-up racers. Not in last as a result of that? You just know that whoever's left behind you is going to mushroom-boost right into your rear knocking you off-course if it's possible.

For me Mario Kart 64 was probably the best-balanced of the bunch. Slight rubber-banding (to keep it close), epic 4-player multi and it still rewarded you for playing well.
Where logic won't work, I will

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:20 am

Probably the original Mario Kart. Spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playing that over the years. Also have a soft spot for GBA Mario Kart, Double Dash and MK Wii.

Outside of MK, very fond of Crash Team Racing on the PlayStation. Great racer.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:06 pm

I'll always eulogize Diddy Kong Racing as the best single player kart racer.

Whilst MK created the genre and the SNES version was pretty damn bloody special, from the N64 version onwards, MK has concentrated on multiplayer and the SP game has suffered as a result.

So MK wins best MP kart game hands down.

But DKR's single player was a complete 3D platform adventure game built into a kart racing game. They created a great world with all kinds of interesting characters and locations and hidden areas, then laid down some fun, well designed tracks ontop of that and glued it all together in this, frankly, amazingly immersive progress flow where you had to achieve certain results or find hidden keys and rooms as well as race against proper, character based, end of level bosses - which was a first for racing games if memory serves? (correct me if I'm wrong on that one).

DKR had a great difficulty curve too. Started off quite easy but achieving 1st place and then finding the keys and beating the bosses it became very hard.

I always say this - for MP kart go to Mario, for a single player adventure game based around kart racing - go Diddy. :)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:14 pm

The original Super Mario Kart has something special about it - maybe because the genre was so fresh and new back in its day. I also think that the use of "the feather" in the original was very well done. That really balanced out the gameplay - which in later versions of the game does suffer from too much rubber band physics(as previously mentioned).

I suppose Mario Karts DS and Mario Karts Wii have a certain amount of appeal.

I do quite like Diddy Kong Racing on the N64. The use of the different vehicles and such.

Crash Team Racing is pretty good on the PS.

Does anyone like Mickey's Super Speedway on the N64? It has its moments.

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:36 pm

Easy choice for me. Mario Kart on the SNES. Sure I am biased because I play Retro Games most of the time but... I find this the most enjoyable Kart Racing game out of all of those in that list... even some 24 years after it was originally released!

Fun, Tricky and a great multiplayer game.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:37 pm

Gonna go with Mario Kart 64, as it's the ultimate in multiplayer, and for me, that's what these games are really about. If I want a single-player race game I'll play a racing game. Its tracks are fun without being too big or wide and the arena battles are just right for four players.

Super Mario Kart on the SNES is OK, but it suffers from Mode 7 disease - that tiles flat on the floor are treated like solid concrete blocks when you try and drive over them. If you didn't grow up with it it's a real frustration. There's a version of CTR on the GBA that has the same problem. At least GBA Mario Kart just used rough-ground slowdown and real scaled sprites for obstacles.

Crash Team Racing on the Playstation and Diddy Kong Racing have great single-player adventure modes. I think I actually prefer CTR's. In multiplayer it suffers a bit from a lower frame rate and gritty textures, but then DKR also has trickier handling and courses for pick-up-and-play gaming. You do have to have had some practise with it, whereas with Mario Kart 64's courses, anyone can have ago.

Speed Freaks had a much more serious handling model. It was fun to play and more realistic in racing, but again, it's not something you can just pick-up-and-play in a multiplayer match.

Now my favourite to play recently is Sonic Transformed, but it suffers a bit from the same problem as Mario Kart on the Wii and everything since - the tracks are designed for online multiplayer, and they're just too big and wide for either local multiplayer, or the fact that you can never get a race online anyway. The other major fault is it hasn't been adapted for handhelds with anywhere near the care Nintendo put into mobile games. The 3DS version is unplayable because it's just the ordinary console version on a smaller screen. The cars end up tiny, and the power-ups are practically impossible to spot until you've gone past them. What works on a 42" Plasma does not work on something only 4 or 5 inches across.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Muppet Racemania - PSOne- had this on my PSP and played the snot out of it
I enjoyed Cartoon Network Racers on the GBA
Modnation Racers was turd
Mario Kart SNES is king
Going Solo...................

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:32 am

Speed freaks for PlayStation was really good it was made by fun com in dublin , ireland