Best "Kart" racer?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

is

Super Mario Kart
42%
Diddy Kong Racing
9%
Crash Team Racing
7%
Sega All-Star Racing
11%
LittleBigPlanet Karting
2%
Mario Kart 64
15%
Mario Kart 8
9%
Street Racer
No votes
Lego Racers
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes: 55

Bluce_Ree

Re: Best "Kart" racer?

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:51 am

Gripshift on XBLA.

The racing is fun and the powerups aren't as devastating as they are in MK. The battle modes are fantastic too. And it's got a great single player campaign too.

I like MK but it was always a bit cheap and rubber-bandy for my liking.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:54 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
They definitely were from Mario Kart 64 onwards, but Super Mario Kart on the SNES you could always lead from the front with skill and was advantageous to be leading, rather than with subsequent Mario Karts where your best bet was to hang in 2nd or 3rd until the last lap and then get all the power ups to pass the leader before the end. Blue shells and bullet bills were a step too far!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:49 am

Some cracking games in here. A fan of Crash Team Racing and most Mario Kart titles. I really hate Sonic Transformed though, terrible mess of a game that lives off its fan service.

Super Mario Kart remains my favourite with a special mention to the lovely SD F1 Grand Prix on Super Famicom.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:
They definitely were from Mario Kart 64 onwards, but Super Mario Kart on the SNES you could always lead from the front with skill and was advantageous to be leading, rather than with subsequent Mario Karts where your best bet was to hang in 2nd or 3rd until the last lap and then get all the power ups to pass the leader before the end. Blue shells and bullet bills were a step too far!
The DS game was pretty fair too. If you mastered the circuits and powersliding then you could stay ahead of the pack and survive a blue shell or two easily. It was the Wii and 3DS games that really put me off the series but MK8 on the Wii-U feels a bit more balanced and is generally just more enjoyable.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:17 pm

I think Mario Kart is great and always has been and always will be the best of the karting type games.

I know its not a game per se but it is a game within a game. Motor Kombat within mortal kombat armageddon is a cool game with special moves and stage type fatalities to boot.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:47 pm

Sonic Racing Transformed for me too, unbelievably fun, with lots of tracks and tunes from Sega classic games and endless playability.

My second choice would be Crash Team Racing, brilliant effort on the PS1. And if Power Drift counts (even if there are no weapons), count it in too.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:31 pm

General Opulence wrote:I put 'other' because you left off the best kart racer ever Mario Kart DS! Shame the 3DS version was a slow piece of turd!

Not played much of the 3ds one, although agree with you on Mario Kart DS. Myself and my buddy on our admittedly tiny podcast were actually talking about it at the weekend as we did a little ds special. However it was such a good game and after talking about it have started to play it again. Lovely stuff.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:51 am

the_hawk wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Atari Karts Atari's answer to Mario Kart.
I'd never even heard of that one, who were the racers? The line from Pong & the triangle from Asteroids? :lol: :wink:
Its also a steaming pile of crap.

I think people underestimate mariokart, but looking at how many more bad examples of the genre there are it seems its an easy genre to get wrong. most kart racers are crap and only a handful of companies have mangaged to put out good kart games. I think considering that, its amazing Nintendo have released so many that have been really good games.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:27 am

Megamixer wrote: The DS game was pretty fair too. If you mastered the circuits and powersliding then you could stay ahead of the pack and survive a blue shell or two easily. It was the Wii and 3DS games that really put me off the series but MK8 on the Wii-U feels a bit more balanced and is generally just more enjoyable.
Yeah, the DS game is a good shout. Probably my second favourite of the whole series.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:38 am

Pac-man world rally is quite fun, even if it is a blatant MK clone, all the way down to the drifting

Going Super Pac is fun
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Has anybody actually played that dreadful Crazy Frog Racer kart game? Surely the absolute worst?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:49 am

Megamixer wrote:Has anybody actually played that dreadful Crazy Frog Racer kart game? Surely the absolute worst?
An a horrific reminder of the Crazy Frog as an entity! Can't believe that was only in 2005. I thought it was longer ago. That horrible music video - kind of reminded me of the bike driving scene in Final Fantasy 7 for some reason.

Of course they had to cash in and have a terrible game as well. Ugh.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 am

The original for me - Mario Kart on the SNES. Its quite frustrating how many laps you do (5) compared to the GBA version (3) which is also very good. Also theres no point getting into the lead till late on as its easy to be 2nd for most of the race. Second you go into the lead the character in second will be chucking missiles at you non stop.

Classic tracks though, love playing this. Also enjoy the N64 version a lot and like i say i used to play the GBA version a ton on my old Pocket PC on an emulator.

Classic series, havent been able to get into many others as i rate the Mario Kart games so highly

As for Crazy Frog thats an embarassing moment in our history. The people who thought the ringtone was great or bought the single when it was out should do a jail term. There will be people here who bought the single or had the ringtone, should be ashamed !

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:05 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Has anybody actually played that dreadful Crazy Frog Racer kart game? Surely the absolute worst?
An a horrific reminder of the Crazy Frog as an entity! Can't believe that was only in 2005. I thought it was longer ago. That horrible music video - kind of reminded me of the bike driving scene in Final Fantasy 7 for some reason.

Of course they had to cash in and have a terrible game as well. Ugh.
You can understand Crazy frog, it was everywhere

Theres a Butt-ugly Martians one.

The toon was bad enough (Really bad CG) and the game is just so dull

There is even a Hugo the troll one

remember him?
Hes still got games coming out

Also Mourhun
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:09 am

Not a 'kart' racer in the purest sense of the word, but defined by the same visuals and gameplay mechanics, I would say my favourite would be Wacky Races on the Dreamcast