Dino Dini making a new Kick Off Game for PS4

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

IronMaidenRule

Re: Dino Dini making a new Kick Off Game for PS4

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:54 am

Just hope it is better than Kick Off 2002........*shudders*

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:13 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Goal was brilliant too
Have to admit I always preffered Goal! I spent hours editing all the team names and kits...

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:39 am

Loved KO and then KO2 just took it to the next level. I know there's mass division between this and the Sensi series but I think I swayed more to KO as it was the first one. Sensi took a lot of its ideas and built a great game too but for innovation and just pure unadulterated fun gameplay, KO won out for me.

I remember I had to start off on the slowest level and work my way up to International. It was one of the first games I did something like that for. By the end I was pretty good at it - in S at least. I was a bit billy no mates when it came to games in those days. :)

Dino's taken a bit of stick over the years because he's outspoken but I'm on his side if he pulls this off. Good luck!!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Did Dino Dini's Soccer have an alternative name, or was it just generally ignored?
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:30 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Did Dino Dini's Soccer have an alternative name, or was it just generally ignored?
Yeah, that was the game also known as Goal!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:35 am

Matt_B wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Did Dino Dini's Soccer have an alternative name, or was it just generally ignored?
Ah, didn't know that was the same game. Always thought Dino Dini's Soccer was a weird name for it.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:40 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
Ah, didn't know that was the same game. Always thought Dino Dini's Soccer was a weird name for it.
It probably helped in those bizarre parts of the world where the word "goal" isn't immediately associated with football like... um... where I now live. Then again the same places would probably struggle with "kick off" anyway.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:54 am

Not sure if I'm right but I think the different name was due to Anco owning the rights to the KO IP. I remember reading that there was tension between him and Anco so Dino left to make his own football game. His name was synonymous with the KO brand at that time so this was his way of making sure people realised this literally was a sequel to KO 2 in everything but name. Unfortunately I think Goal just wasn't as fun to play as his previous games. It just lacked that certain something.

I'm hoping he can come up trumps this time but am I right in saying he hasn't got a great track record of coming through post KO2? I live in hope anyway. :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 23, 2016 4:28 pm

Could never get on with Goal - too many options and customisation. I prefer the programmer to say 'this is the way I intended the game to be' and stick to that.

Kick Off 3 I thought was utterly awful, but that is probably because I was expecting a 'proper' kick off game - it should really have gone by a different name.

Not really found any of the attempts to update a classic 8/16 bit football game to be any good. Emlyn Hughes on the 8 bits and Kick Off 1+2 and Sensi on the 16 bits haven't been bettered, and personally I fond them far more enjoyable to play than FIFA/Pro Evo games. There's something about 1 button and 1 stick that makes it feel more skillfull when you pull off a great manoeuvre.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue May 24, 2016 3:26 pm

After Kick Off 2 the series really did get dragged through the mud; KO3 has its fans despite a muted critical response but the following games got worse and worse - the bug-crippled Kick Off '96 famously getting the 1% treatment in AP - so It's to Dini's credit that the series still has enough of a following to make a new game worthwhile. Personally I was never a fan of KO (I preferred Sensi, though I played Striker more than either) but to be honest it's just nice to see a football game that isn't PES or FIFA (the latter of which in particular has become so thoroughly dominant that virtually every other footy game has been ground underfoot).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue May 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Stuck a pre-order on this, do like my footy games and it is nice to see something different on the consoles, despite not getting on very well with Kick Off 2.....much preferred Goal! on the Amiga.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed May 25, 2016 6:12 am

I hope it has got all the bugs left in it. Like the one where a corner kick is given but no one runs over to take it.

Or the one in Extra time where all goals count as double in the event of a draw. (not just away goals)

:lol:

RetroCastAway

Post by RetroCastAway » Wed May 25, 2016 11:54 am

Or the bug (it may have been Sensi) where you get someone sent off and the match goes to a penalty shoot out and it gets to the sent off bloke's turn to take a pen but he's not there.
The crowd keep cheering, the keeper waits patiently, the ref is poised but nobody ever runs up from the bottom of the screen to take the pen...all you can do is exit the game.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed May 25, 2016 3:13 pm

This is interesting. Can't say that I'm a fan of football games(either Kick Off or Sensible Soccer) - perhaps, because of not being any good at them. :lol: I'm sort of surprised that in this day and age that people want a 2D type football game - especially as the FIFA games are around. Seems there's life in 2D yet. Yeah. :D