Buying a console just for one game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Re: Buying a console just for one game

Post by theantmeister » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:34 am

dste wrote:Dreamcast for Crazy Taxi.

Loved the arcade version so when I saw it was being released for the Cast I wanted one. After that I picked up a couple of magazines and saw all the great games for it and built up a rather pleasing collection for it.
Interesting. You know, to this day, I still haven't played Crazy Taxi in an arcade. I remember seeing a cab of it somewhere once (Trocadero?) and thinking it looked really awkward to play. I looked at the stand up cab and thought "how the hell do you do a crazy dash with those controls?!".

In fact, thinking about it, I have no idea why I picked up Crazy Taxi in the first place... :? I'm an Offspring fan, maybe I heard the soundtrack in EB or something?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:30 am

Dave300 wrote:I bought my PS2 just for Gran Turismo 3. I'd seen an advert for GT3 in a gaming mag and simply couldn't believe the 150-car count. I'd never been into driving games and back when I did actually play some of them it was like on an 8/16-bit Atari with a choice of like 3 cars. 150!? I was sold, and I wasn't disappointed! And I could not believe the graphics!
GT3 was awesome and a system seller, although the 150 car count part was disappointing considering GT2 had around 400!

The graphics though - yes they were amazing (and then improved even further for GT4), even to this day they hold up pretty well. Polyphony Digital seemed to understand the PS2 well, unlike with the PS3.

Retrobussola

Post by Retrobussola » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:54 pm

I bought my Xbox for Halo and Battlestar Galactica.

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:33 am

Nintendo 64 for Mario 64.

And um... I bought a PS4 for MGSV: Ground zeroes. Although I knew it was like... 2 hours :lol:

but hey I knew there would be more games I'd want to play on PS4 in the future... :roll:

David

Post by David » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:35 pm

I've bought an Xbox one and will probably only play FIFA on it

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:20 pm

I never really buy a console for 1 game, I always end up buying more for curiosity reasons.

van

Post by van » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:16 am

I bought a PS1 for nothing other than Tony Hawk.
I bought a gamecube for nothing other than the Game Boy player (does that count?)
I bought an original XBOX for nothing other than Jedi Academy

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:35 am

I have never - and will never (even if I won the lottery) - buy a console for just a single game. To do so would just be an insane waste of money in my opinion.

Before I even consider purchasing a system there has to be a minimum of 3 games I'd want to play on that format. They don't need to be exclusives, but it helps.
Where logic won't work, I will

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Not quite the same thing but in a similar vein - I ended up buying a £400 Amiga on the strength of seeing one game.

I walked into my local VG shop in Barking and enquired about an Atari ST. The owner knew me as a customer as I used to spend quite a bit of money in there. He asked me why I wanted an ST? I told him I just thought it was the next best upgrade from a C64.

He turned around and said 'take a look at this'.

He loaded and played Sword of Sodan on an Amiga. I watched. it looked very good. BIG sprites, great colour. And then. Then the moment happened. He died by being spiked by a huge spike in the ground, right through his body. (The game character as opposed to the shop owner).

'WOW!" was my reaction. (genuinely, I actually exclaimed 'wow!')

I didn't need to see anything else. I borrowed the money off my dad and bought an Amiga from him. Best games machine I ever owned. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIscLXlO3Xo
Might not look like much now but that was the closest to a coin op you could find at the time.

And obviously, this is what I was used to before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ORMf6SjTc

Now, don't get me wrong. Barbarian waas one of the best beat em ups around. (And actually, it was more playable than Sodan). But the graphics were several steps up. Awesome stuff. :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Never done it.
Got a Spectrum after playing Wheelie and Jetpac at school, a PS1 on seeing Resident Evil, and a Dreamcast for Code Veronica but I knew I'd be buying a lot more.
An Xbox One for the Rare Collection is mental! :D

I do see the point if buying retrospectively though,
A Jaguar for Tempest, N64 for Mario 64 etc.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:35 pm

gunbladelad wrote:I have never - and will never (even if I won the lottery) - buy a console for just a single game. To do so would just be an insane waste of money in my opinion.
Its all relative. I've paid as much for a single game on other systems as I did for my Jag and Tempest 2k (since I bought it before prices rocketed).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:05 am

If thats' the case then I know where to shift my boxed copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day if I ever decide to sell it on... :lol:
Where logic won't work, I will

Gameon

Post by Gameon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:11 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'd never really bothered about Tempest 2k at that point, but then I went to the Game On exhibition when it was up in Edinburgh/Glasgow (I forget where). I played Tempest 2k and was hooked. Gamestation had one in their window shortly after so I snapped it up. It sits in the spare room with Tempest permanently in its slot. It doesn't look like much to a casual observer, but it plays so well.
It was in Edinburgh all the way back in 2002... Glad that you enjoyed it so much that you went out and bought a console. Although it can be argued if you never owned an Amiga, then Tempest 2000 is the only game worth buying on the Atari Jaguar.

For me the only four consoles I bought just because of one game...

Acetronic MPU1000 (nee Radofin 1292) - Grand Prix. Had this console as a kid, but bought it again recently for the Grand Prix game as I did enjoy it. It is not as amazing as I remembered but it is still fun.

Sega Super 32X - Virtua Racing. I remember seeing it in Virgin megastores when they were in Tottenham court road in London, although tried for a year to see if any importer would import the console, ended up buying one over 9 years later in Japan. I own it on every other format short of the arcade and the 32X definitely plays the best.

Pokemon Mini - Tetris. Played the rare European version of the game whilst in Holland, spent the next 4 years trying to find the Japanese version. It is a great game, catching Pokemon everytime you get a Tetris, even after years of playing it, I am still short in the high double digits.

Playstation 3 - Grand Turismo HD. Loved Gran Turismo 4 that I wante it on the next generation PS3. Was in Japan about 6 weeks after release of said machine, you might remember the people that bought PS3s to resell on Ebay and the like and most of them not really selling and auctions tended to sell rather cheap PS3s. Rather then take losses on the machines, a lot of people sold them back to the shops they bought them from. So I ended up buying a "2nd hand" PS3 for Y10,000 less then new and still got a new console... Back to the hotel apartment room and had to download the update... That took over 4 hours, and it was not a throttled connection as I downloaded a large file earlier and got a constant 2mb download speed. Once the update was done, download GT HD and that took another 8 hours... still downloading even after I had gone to bed and woke up again... still was worth it. :)

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
gunbladelad wrote:I have never - and will never (even if I won the lottery) - buy a console for just a single game. To do so would just be an insane waste of money in my opinion.
Its all relative. I've paid as much for a single game on other systems as I did for my Jag and Tempest 2k (since I bought it before prices rocketed).
Of course there's two things here, there's a buying a console second hand for the cost of a new game and buying a new console at or close to RRP. I would agree the latter is crazy to me, there is no one game I would pay several hundred pounds to play just that. But sure I'd consider paying £10-25 on a retro console as I'd pay that for a new game and any game you haven't played is essentially a 'new' game.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:52 am

Bought my 360 just for Sonic 4... This was in 2010 and Sainsbury's were selling them for £100 or something, so went for it.

Sonic 4 turned out to be absolute pish, but I got Mirror's Edge with it as well and loved that. Found plenty of good games on the thing since then too :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.