Best Amiga game for category

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Best Amiga game for category

Post by Matt_B » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:49 am

Turn-based strategy: Civilization
Real-time strategy: Dune II (with an honourable mention to Mega Lo Mania)
Point-and-click adventure: Monkey Island (the original is the better game for me)
Text adventure: Guild of Thieves
Flight simulator: TFX
Space simulator: Frontier / Damocles
Sim racer: Formula 1 Grand Prix
Arcade racer: Lotus II
Scrolling shooter: Menace / Blood Money
Role playing game: Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 (tips of the hat to Dungeon Master and Captive)
Sport: Sensible soccer
Future sport: Speedball 1 & 2
Platform: Gods (and so what if it's a slow plod; it's a thinking man's platformer)
Fighting: IK+

I'm not sure what you'd put games like Cannon Fodder, Carrier Command and Lemmings in, but I suppose the best games tend to define their own genres.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:27 am

PostieDoc wrote:
skodathegreat wrote:
James Pond, New Zealand Story and Rainbow Islands (in particular) are all superb games on the Amiga.
Yes platformers are better on consoles, we all know that. That doesn't make all Amiga platformers poor by default, as real owners and fans of the system know.
RodimusPrime, you came to an Amiga best game thread and then talk about its perceived weaknesses. That's why I called you out on it even if you did mention some games you really liked.
It would be like outdated_gamer going to a console thread and saying he thinks some games are great, but of course consoles are lacking in areas compared to PC. Who cares.
who cares? exactly so why make a big deal of such a small part of my post.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:54 am

I just felt it was wrong to post about what you consider to be a systems weakness in a thread asking to name its best games.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:02 am

PostieDoc wrote:I just felt it was wrong to post about what you consider to be a systems weakness in a thread asking to name its best games.
I was explaining why I was neglecting a category that everyone else had chosen a game from.

There were too many that had that slippy slidey floaty feel to them like Superfrog, zool, robocod etc.

If I was to choose one it would be a slower based one, a puzzle platformer like bubba & stix maybe.

Retrobussola

Post by Retrobussola » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:22 am

It's incredibly cool see how many different games are in our hearts, some of them i didn't hear about (asap i have to fill my gaps). And what about Retrogamer staff?

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:44 am

Adventure: Monkey Island - Always surprises me when people rate the sequel higher. Can't beat the original for me.

Platform - Wiz n' Liz - Growing up I thought there were some brilliant platformers on the Amiga. I wonder how many of them would hold up now? Can't say I've revisited that many. This one definitely does though, it's great.

Racing - Super Skidmarks - I really, really enjoyed this game. Silly, mad fun.

Puzzle - Lemmings 2: The Tribes - I always preferred this to the original, I think because I'm Scottish and there's a Scottish level. I'm that easy to please.

Sports - Sensible World Of Soccer - Fond memories of multi-player on this one with my friends.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:50 am

PostieDoc wrote:It would be like outdated_gamer going to a console thread and saying he thinks some games are great, but of course consoles are lacking in areas compared to PC. Who cares.
outdated_gamer does do this all the time.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:21 pm

gman72 wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:It would be like outdated_gamer going to a console thread and saying he thinks some games are great, but of course consoles are lacking in areas compared to PC. Who cares.
I know, my point was that it is annoying and unnecessary.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:16 am

So many to choose from.
Racing - Lotus 2
Platformer = Fire and Ice
Vertical shooter - SWIV
Horizontal shooter - Apidya
Run n gun - Turrican 2
Role Play - Eye of the Beholder 2
Adventure - Monkey Island
Simulation - Pinball Dreams

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:26 am

PostieDoc wrote:
gman72 wrote:
I know, my point was that it is annoying and unnecessary.
difference is I did it once and it was within a post listing plenty of games I like. he does it all the time.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:59 pm

I never owned an Amiga (wished I had) but I did enjoy the Lotus games, Lemmings, Zool and Dizzy.

The Amiga seemed to excel in platform, strategy, rpg and simulator games.