Gaming 'Guilty Pleasures'

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sel Feena

Re: Gaming 'Guilty Pleasures'

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:06 am

Used to love this game as well, thought it was actually pretty decent if you could see past the janky graphics. Hunting down the emeralds on each course was great fun. :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:41 am

I always thought Sonic R was highly regarded. I love it anyway.

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:09 am

The Laird wrote:I always thought Sonic R was highly regarded. I love it anyway.
Most people I've spoken to who played it didn't really like it all that much. Of course it pales in comparison to racing titles that came out in that era like Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing but it's a fun game in its own right.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:20 am

PanzerGeneral wrote:It pains me to say this, but-Dallas by CCS on the ZX Spectrum, don't know why-but I love this game.
Ha ha i used to play that. Plus i used to love Dictator and see how quickly i could get a revolution. Some of those very early games have a lot of charm but they definitely are 'you had to be there' type of games.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:28 am

I may be one of the few people that enjoyed Super Hydlide on the Mega Drive - and I put countless hours into the 4 Spec Ops games on the original Playstation (enough that I wound up writing a couple of guides for them)
Where logic won't work, I will

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Sneachta wrote:
The Laird wrote:I always thought Sonic R was highly regarded. I love it anyway.
Most people I've spoken to who played it didn't really like it all that much. Of course it pales in comparison to racing titles that came out in that era like Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing but it's a fun game in its own right.
The press generally did like it at the time - CVG, Edge, Gamesmaster, OSSM and Saturn Power all gave it 80%+. The US press was a bit less hot on it, and having spent a long time (far too long) in online Sonic communities, the hate for it does seem to have spread from across the pond as the internet has put the audiences in contact.

Of course, in my experience most of those who give it a rough ride don't know that you can improve your cornering with the shoulder buttons...

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:16 pm

^ That and you can turn off the lyrics for the so-called "songs" - the music is actually almost fitting for a Sonic game without them.