The system/console you feel most sentimental about

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sneachta

Re: The system/console you feel most sentimental about

Post by Sneachta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:48 am

Probably the PS1. It was the console I grew up with and would play for hours and hours on end as a kid. Spider-Man, Gex, Speed Freaks, Point Blank, etc. were my top favourites for it back then.

psj3809

Re: The system/console you feel most sentimental about

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:00 am

Like others have said its often the first machine you got. So for me it was my Speccy (Spectrum +). Waited patiently for about 6 months after seeing my mates rubber keyed speccy. Remember being blown away when he took out this tape and put another one in and said 'theres 30 games i've copied on here' !

Back then Alchemist, Manic Miner, Zzoom and Tranz Am were amazing games (and still are to be fair). I had played on my cousins Atari 2600 and loved it but seeing this keyboard and a cassette player where you could just load in any game was stunning. Then seeing my mate type in lines of code to create a basic looking game was unreal. Back then i had star wars figures to play with or boring board games. Now seeing the huge range of games and stuff you could do with this machine, unreal.

Had many great years on that machine, many many great games from shoot em ups to coin op conversions, playing Match Day II tons or Cobra or Commando etc. Great memories.

I still like playing Rebelstar on the hardest level and playing a bit here and there on my phone. Do have very fond memories of my original Gameboy and also early PC's. But the Speccy was the thing which got me into gaming, an amazing machine.