Supposedly "great" games you tried and hated

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sel Feena

Re: Supposedly "great" games you tried and hated

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:34 am

David wrote:finally someone else doesn't like speedball
A man who is tired of Speedball is tired of life!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:46 am

Only problem with Speedball is it gets too easy. All they need in the subsequent versions to bring it back to life was a decent transfer program, maybe the ability to play as other teams, more leagues and a top scorer table for your league, the rest of the game, including the graphics could've remained identical and it would've been fine.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:12 am

retr0gamer wrote:Dead Space. Another solid 7/10 game elevated to some godly status by some. It's a poor man's Resident Evil 4 which runs out of ideas after the first 3 stages and then just recycles the same gameplay ad nauseum.
This. I hate it. Brilliant game engine and graphics but the worst ever game for level design. Essentially it's this;

Hi Isaac. Can you get to engineering and reset the power? Cool.

Hi Isaac. Thanks for that. The gravity generators are out can you go and fix them? Ta!

Hi yeah me again. Great job with the gravity generators but the oxygen processors are out... yep. That's right. Thanks!

Me again, mate. The asteroid defence system is out, can you check that out? Ta!

Yep, hi. Looks like our comms system is broken can you...? Ta mate!

Isaac? Yeah. Hi. Looks like the vending machine is broken on the 4th deck and someone has blocked up the bogs on the 5th. Thanks.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:19 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Only problem with Speedball is it gets too easy. All they need in the subsequent versions to bring it back to life was a decent transfer program, maybe the ability to play as other teams, more leagues and a top scorer table for your league, the rest of the game, including the graphics could've remained identical and it would've been fine.
I think they covered some of these in the Xbox Live version (plus you could still play using the same 1990s Amiga engine), with added teams, leagues. Not sure about top scorers though....but to be honest, i've barely played it, as I didn't feel it added anything positive to the game to make it better than the original. The original Speedball 2 was simple, and brilliant.

We are talking about Speedball 2 here and not the crappy original right?!?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:37 am

retr0gamer wrote:Knights of the Old Republic. It was my own fault I hated it. I didn't understand western RPGs and went in expecting Final Fantasy. I've since learned the error of my ways and realised western RPGs have awful battle systems but are all about actually role playing a character.
Ah, the joy of semi real-time battles in that game, I remember spending the climactic final battle with Darth Malak continually running round the final area in a circle till my force powers charged up enough so I could force throw my lightsaber at him again while he chased me like some ridiculous Benny Hill sketch.

I don't hate modern online multiplayer FPS's, as much as I hate the people who I end up playing against. I have good memories of Day of Defeat, Counter Strike and Team Fortress back in the day, where people had defined roles and people played as a team. Nowadays you have COD where everyone just bunches around in one area at a time like a primary school football team all chasing the ball. No skill, no finesse.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:56 am

retr0gamer wrote: Unreal is another game I just don't like. It looked amazing at launch but it's just not a good FPS game.
You're not totally alone on this one. While the game did look (especially on a Pentum II + Voodoo 2 SLI combo; "HD" gaming back in the late 90s and out of reach for the likes of PS1 and N64) and sound fantastic, the gun play was somewhat underwhelming. So in other words, it was a technical marvel with top graphics, sound, AI and openness for it's time, but the gun play was what really put it down. In comparison, id Software's games (Wolf, Doom, Quake, even Rage) always had great gun play, and while I consider Quake II to be a bit overrated too (the single player part of it - the MP part was a blast), atleast I had fun shooting it's guns and enemies. :wink:

With that said, I don't consider the original Unreal a bad game by any means and would welcome a fan-created remake on the latest Unreal Engine 4. There's not enough true single-player centric sci-fi FPS games these days.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:59 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Only problem with Speedball is it gets too easy. All they need in the subsequent versions to bring it back to life was a decent transfer program, maybe the ability to play as other teams, more leagues and a top scorer table for your league, the rest of the game, including the graphics could've remained identical and it would've been fine.
I think they covered some of these in the Xbox Live version (plus you could still play using the same 1990s Amiga engine), with added teams, leagues. Not sure about top scorers though....but to be honest, i've barely played it, as I didn't feel it added anything positive to the game to make it better than the original. The original Speedball 2 was simple, and brilliant.

We are talking about Speedball 2 here and not the crappy original right?!?
Yeah Speedball 2, i've never actually played the original. Hmmm, didn't know about that version, might have to see if I can get a hold of it.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:06 am

outdated_gamer wrote:You're not totally alone on this one. While the game did look (especially on a Pentum II + Voodoo 2 SLI combo; "HD" gaming back in the late 90s and out of reach for the likes of PS1 and N64) and sound fantastic, the gun play was somewhat underwhelming. So in other words, it was a technical marvel with top graphics, sound, AI and openness for it's time, but the gun play was what really put it down. In comparison, id Software's games (Wolf, Doom, Quake, even Rage) always had great gun play, and while I consider Quake II to be a bit overrated too (the single player part of it - the MP part was a blast), atleast I had fun shooting it's guns and enemies. :wink:

With that said, I don't consider the original Unreal a bad game by any means and would welcome a fan-created remake on the latest Unreal Engine 4. There's not enough true single-player centric sci-fi FPS games these days.
Ugh, the censored Sunspire level... Unreal was a bit average to play overall, but the sunspire was a low point for me. Trying to hit tiny spiders with the Razorjack in the dark was NOT fun.

Quake 2 OTOH is a stone cold classic shooter IMO. It deserves all the praise it gets.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:39 am

theantmeister wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:You're not totally alone on this one. While the game did look (especially on a Pentum II + Voodoo 2 SLI combo; "HD" gaming back in the late 90s and out of reach for the likes of PS1 and N64) and sound fantastic, the gun play was somewhat underwhelming. So in other words, it was a technical marvel with top graphics, sound, AI and openness for it's time, but the gun play was what really put it down. In comparison, id Software's games (Wolf, Doom, Quake, even Rage) always had great gun play, and while I consider Quake II to be a bit overrated too (the single player part of it - the MP part was a blast), atleast I had fun shooting it's guns and enemies. :wink:

Ugh, the censored Sunspire level... Unreal was a bit average to play overall, but the sunspire was a low point for me. Trying to hit tiny spiders with the Razorjack in the dark was NOT fun.

Quake 2 OTOH is a stone cold classic shooter IMO. It deserves all the praise it gets.
I liked the expansion for it (Return to Na Pali) more than the original game itself. Strangely, the same could be said for Half-Life - I liked the Opposing Force expansion even more than the original game.

One thing Unreal was good at was having this other-worldly feel to it and the exploration element. You solemn see this in modern shooters which are usually "go from point A to B and kill all you encounter". Unreal was not like that, it was more a sci-fi exploration shooter. Of course the top graphics and sound(track) helped create the nice atmosphere, as did, for the time, smart enemies (the Skaarj in particular, which are pretty much the Predators of Unreal universe).

To me, Quake II was a multi-player delight, with some great competitive LAN and online scenes going on at the time and popularized modding, even more so than the original Quake did. The single-player part, however, was nothing special to me. I enjoyed the "gothic horror" and primitiveness/straighforwardness of Quake 1's levels more than the "metallic space" theme and some half-baked "plot" of QII. :wink:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:05 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:One thing Unreal was good at was having this other-worldly feel to it and the exploration element. You solemn see this in modern shooters which are usually "go from point A to B and kill all you encounter". Unreal was not like that, it was more a sci-fi exploration shooter. Of course the top graphics and sound(track) helped create the nice atmosphere, as did, for the time, smart enemies (the Skaarj in particular, which are pretty much the Predators of Unreal universe).
Yes, there were definitely some great things about Unreal, but the gameplay wasn't one of them. I still remember that level where you come out of that cave into a massive trench and you realise that the trench was dug by a crash landed spaceship. You make your way into it and you meet the first(?) Skaarj soldier who actually dives out of the way of your shots. That sequence sums up Unreal for me. Amazing set pieces and level designs, outstanding music and that AI.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:30 am

Sonic games were great until the end of World 1 on Sonic 1. The series never recovered after that.

Any RPG with turn based combat.

Any Zelda game after A Link to the Past on SNES. That game is genius but it has been recycled ever since.

Any FPS that isn't Doom

Resident Evil - whole series.

Tomb Raider - in fact any 3D roam around. Bloody tedious.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:30 pm

retr0gamer wrote:Ni No Kuni. Supposedly the saviour of japanese RPGs. The game is in fact everything the press says is wrong with japanese RPGs in one very pretty package. Awful story, awful writing and a combat system that is utter pants. It's a disgrace that this game reviewed so highly when there's excellent, progressive JRPGs out there like Shin Megami Tensei 4, Etrian Odyssey and the Atelier series getting ignored by the press.
Oh yes, this too. I love Studio Ghibli's works, but I just couldn't like it, one of the games that made me regret the PS1 and PS2 era JRPGs. Give me SMT, Persona, Atelier Iris or Front Mission any day.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Didn't like Ni no whatever either, it looked beautiful though. Gotta stand up for original Speedball though, playing with a mate was awesome!

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:48 am

The Legend Of Zelda. I'm putting my dislike of it down to my general suckage at RPGs though.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:33 am

davyK wrote:Any Zelda game after A Link to the Past on SNES. That game is genius but it has been recycled ever since.
Did you try Windwaker? It's about as different to ALTTP as it gets.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823