Supposedly "great" games you tried and hated

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: Supposedly "great" games you tried and hated

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:42 pm

Same answers I give every time - Tomb Raider, MGS, Command & Conquer...

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:03 pm

theres fricken loads! heres my top - don't-know-what-people-see-in-them games
resident evil - all of them even 4
tomb raider - all of them
any mega man platform game
final fantasy 7
all metal gear games
defender (nice visuals, game sucks though)
space invaders (again, the graphics are ace just boring to play)
any F1 game
stunt car racer
any 8 bit manic miner type game including dizzy and chuckie egg
new super Mario bros
half life 1&2
doom - all of them
quake all except q3
dark forces
tie fighter
magic carpet
populous
lemmings
GTA - any of them

+loads

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Zoids and Fat Worm Blows a Sparky on the Speccy; apparently they were great games (accoring to the magazines) but I didn't get them at all.

Time Crisis - most people seem to rave about this being one of the best gun games, but I don't get that. You spend more time hiding behind cardboard boxes than actually shooting, and for a gun game that's just wrong.

Also beat beat emp ups and footie games that use about 10 buttons; not only that but require memorising long strings of button presses to carry out some moves. IK+, Sensi, European Football Champ and Kick Off 2 proved that you could have a great game with lots of moves, but just using one stick and a maximum of two buttons. Modern sports/beat-em-ups are memory tests, the games mentioned above were more a question of joystick skills - I know which I prefer.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Quite a few.

Gears of War - wow, what a dull, generic and brown shooter! Advanced graphics for the time but how did people manage to play thru three same brown cover shooters in a row and actually enjoy it? :P

Halo 3 - enjoyed Combat Evolved but H3 put me to sleep. Nice graphics for the time but it was just boring to play. Same thing over again but without the charm. I did not touch the MP part however.

Assassin's Creed - super boring and generic Prince of Persia wannabe. Very uninteresting to me and I knew right away that the franchise is not for me (epitome of generic, mainstream, high production games; graphics look good tho).

Call of Duty - the original game was quite fun and atmospheric, if short, highly scripted and linear, the sequel was more of the same but worse (but nice graphics), skipped on the third one and tried the fourth one and didn't like it very much. It was the same game over again just in a modern setting. Overrated console-kiddie military shooters. Real men play ArmA on PC instead. :wink:

Tomb Raider - extremely stiff, "tank" controls, bad level design, bad fire fights, dumb puzzles, etc. Supposedly a "classic" action-adventure game, in reality popular only because of Lara's triangular breasts (teenage fantasy thing, the average PlayStation player at the time :P ).

Crash Bandicoot - the third game isn't bad but the original game is dull. A very one-dimensional plaformer where you just run into the screen and tap the jump button. Doesn't hold a candle to Mario 64 even if it's more of a "2.5D" platformer in the vein of Klonoa, Pandemonium, etc.

WipEout - this sci-fi racer was supposed to be tops in it's genre. Well I respectfully disagree, I found it to feel very floaty and even slowish. Didn't like the techno soundtrack either. No match for Nintendo's F-Zero series which blows it away and leaves in the dust.

Ridge Racer - lacking content and poor physics (even for an arcade racer!) make this "classic" arcade racer pretty irrelevant these days and more of a tech-demo of it's time.

Final Fantasy VIII - turning the once pretty good series of JRPGs into a melo-dramatic trash for angsty teens. Bad.

Pokemon - could never get into it. It's a simple kiddie JRPG. Not for me.

World of WarCraft - not big on MMOs so I got bored fast of it.

GTA 3 - also highly boring game to me. I rather play a bit of Carmageddon or Postal instead. :wink:

The Elder Scrolls - it's a boring chore of a franchise. There's way better RPGs out there such as Ultima Underworld (archaism ftw :P ).

Metal Gear Solid - I guess it's a "love it or hate it" affair. Nice interactive movies but odd stories, odd humour and questionable "stealthy" gameplay.

Crysis - nice graphics demo but I didn't enjoy the gameplay.

I'm sure I could come up with more but let that be enough for now.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Yeah can add Metal gear series, Mega Mab, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy and all RPGs for that matter to my list.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:38 pm

will just list a few, there are probably more...

Zelda
Super Mario World 2
Minecraft
Fifa (any version)
Kick off
any american football game
Sonic after the mega drive
Metroid
Any disney game that is supposed to be 'good'
Pokemon

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:41 pm

playzooki wrote: Fifa (any version)
Kick off
any american football game
Sonic after the mega drive
I agree on these too. Sonic died after the MD, imho, and traditional sports games never held my interest (except some golf sims and winter games I used to play).

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Super Mario Kart, bought it when it came out on the SNES and f**king hated it immediately, I have tried it again and again but still hate it with a passion.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:18 pm

David wrote: any "great" games you tried for the first time long after their release and didn't like?
All of the following games were bought on XBLA by me, basically on the strength of the rep they had amongst retro hipsters across various forums. I consider all of them to be utter wastes of my time and money.

Guardian Heroes
Crazy Taxi
Gunstar Heroes
Bangai-O
Radiant Silvergun.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:46 pm

I'll go with the obligatory Dragon's Lair and Shadow of the Beast.

I'm not sure if anyone ever thought they were great except for the visuals, but a weakly-interactive cartoon and a monotonous reaction test aren't my idea of fun.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:39 pm

Bobby Bearing on the Spectrum. Crash Smashed it. I bought it, and very quickly found it tedious, barren and very un-joyful.

Zoids on the Spectrum (and C64 of my mates). Crash Smashed it, Zzap Gold Medalled it (I believe); but neither of us could fathom out why. Really, really not worth the effort.

Defender in the arcade. Great visually, but to play was just a theatrical pile of pantomime nonsense.

Kick-Off [any/all] on the Amiga. <Chortle>

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Pokemon games

Dont get the love for these at all

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:09 am

Tempest
Just found it to be tedious drivel, much prefer Galaxians and such. For me the perfect example of a game trading off a gimmick, with little else going for it.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:29 am

I'd also add Halo .. tried a number of times to enjoy it but just didn't find it engaging or fun.

I'm aware I'm probably missing something somewhere, given how much love it gets on here.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:43 am

Sel Feena wrote:Tempest
Just found it to be tedious drivel, much prefer Galaxians and such. For me the perfect example of a game trading off a gimmick, with little else going for it.
What gimmick? :?