Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ommadawnyawn
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by ommadawnyawn » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:11 pm

No, you're not. See the first point, that's what you're saying. And I said it's technically right but there's more to it seen as a craft or art form.
Mini-reviews & Lists: http://minirevver.weebly.com/, Youtube (chiptunes, romhacks): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos, Retro game mockups: http://alianger.imgur.com/

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5295
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:30 pm

By that definition there is very little "pixel art" on the Amiga, as the vast majority of its games used retouched digitized graphics, gradiant fills, antialiasing and other techniques that he'd disqualify. Indeed, I'd argue that it's the ability to do these things that set Amiga graphics apart from the previous generation of hardware. That's not to say there aren't some games where every pixel was meticulously placed by hand in Deluxe Paint, but they're generally going to be the ones with more of an 8-bit look about them.

Still, aside from all that, I didn't see anything in there about what the highest resolution you can use is.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26695
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 am

ommadawnyawn wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:11 pm
No, you're not. See the first point, that's what you're saying. And I said it's technically right but there's more to it seen as a craft or art form.
Nope. We're not saying it's the first point at all.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ommadawnyawn
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by ommadawnyawn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:01 am

^Then you're gonna have to explain further. What you've said is that any graphics made up of pixels is pixel art, which is what the first point addresses.
Matt_B wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:30 pm
By that definition there is very little "pixel art" on the Amiga, as the vast majority of its games used retouched digitized graphics, gradiant fills, antialiasing and other techniques that he'd disqualify. Indeed, I'd argue that it's the ability to do these things that set Amiga graphics apart from the previous generation of hardware. That's not to say there aren't some games where every pixel was meticulously placed by hand in Deluxe Paint, but they're generally going to be the ones with more of an 8-bit look about them.

Still, aside from all that, I didn't see anything in there about what the highest resolution you can use is.
I linked to that to further explain my points and said I don't agree with the last one (which is low res enough to make out the pixels easily, as I also talked about so not sure why you're asking about it again). And I'm pretty sure a lot of those were done by hand, or with a brush and pixel by pixel combo. Auto-aa would be noticeable. Yeah digitized graphics are not pixel art, correct. It's also not unique to Amiga.
Mini-reviews & Lists: http://minirevver.weebly.com/, Youtube (chiptunes, romhacks): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos, Retro game mockups: http://alianger.imgur.com/

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26695
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:34 am

ommadawnyawn wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:01 am
^Then you're gonna have to explain further. What you've said is that any graphics made up of pixels is pixel art, which is what the first point addresses.
This is not what I'm saying.

Pixel art is images/sprites/whatever created by manually 'painting', with a necessity to edit to a pixel level to maintain control.

As per the link you gave, it's a bit more than drawing some shapes in Paint freehand then filling them, it's a more detailed process and this is clear from the results.

While I won't rule out using fills and gradient tools etc as a means to achieve pixel art, I wouldn't consider any ray traced/rendered output to be pixel.

It is entirely possible that a highly detailed image could be created via pixel art, this is just not generally the aesthetic that is aimed for. Consider it akin to photorealistic painting (e.g. https://mymodernmet.com/photorealistic- ... utomo-oka/). The end result may look like a photo, but it is a painting. Ditto for pixel art - you could achieve similar results and it could still be considered pixel art by its creative process (and with this in mind, I've seen similar photorealistic results from vector art).

It could be argued that pixel art itself has two considerations - 1, the creative process of creating art while considering the detail at the pixel level (and in doing so has the potential to create any style), and 2, the pixel art aesthetic, whereby the appearance (or actuality) of a low resolution and/or low colour image is created via point 1.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ommadawnyawn
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by ommadawnyawn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:20 am

Thanks. Well it sounds like you and I are mostly on the same page then? I just think there's a point resolution-wise (and not upscaled low-res) where it's no longer pixel art, even if I can't say exactly when just going by the dimensions as it's also about the techniques used. Higher res art tends to not be made with these pixel art specific techniques applied. Say, Hollow Knight or Sundered for a couple of recent examples.
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/a ... 1570129430
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... f=1&nofb=1

I remember seeing/reading that Hollow Knight was scanned hand drawn non-digital art, then touched up (I guess in illustrator).

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/a ... 1571306653
Blasphemous for comparison, which is relatively high res but clearly pixel art unless I'm mistaken about some techniques used.
Mini-reviews & Lists: http://minirevver.weebly.com/, Youtube (chiptunes, romhacks): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos, Retro game mockups: http://alianger.imgur.com/

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5295
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by Matt_B » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:26 am

I'd think the thing is that back in the 80s, during the heyday of pixel art, people would be using every trick in the book to get the look that they were after, and the limitations were those of the hardware itself.

Nowadays, there to be a bunch of self-appointed pixel art gurus who define it in terms of their own favoured techniques. Although most of the people actually making games still seem to do it the same way as above, so the distinction is moot.

Whether Hollow Knight is pixel art or not (it uses Unity assets which are vectorized so have no inherent resolution) doesn't particularly bother me. I just think it looks fantastic, right up to 4K resolutions, even when you're zooming in and looking at the individual pixels.

Nin10dofan
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:11 pm
Location: Dublin, ireland

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by Nin10dofan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:28 am

What % of retro gamer forums members are Amiga fans, would you say

User avatar
PostieDoc
Posts: 796
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Love the Amiga, most fun i have had with any system.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26695
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:58 am

Nin10dofan wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:28 am
What % of retro gamer forums members are Amiga fans, would you say
42
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests