Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sscott

Re: Why are there so many Amiga fans on this forum?

Post by sscott » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:06 pm

And now we have 4, Wii U, PS4, XB1 and PC, the vita is dead (sort of) and not sure if there will be a sequel to 3DS if Nintendo do well in mobile market, in the 80s and 90s there were new systems every couple of months.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:35 pm

David wrote:agree with gman, I loved my cd32, but there just didn't seem any Amiga games that didn't have better equivalents on snes / MD

apar from swos
Platformers , beat-em-ups and shooters yeah. But games like Wizkid, Dungeon Master, Dune, Monkey Island, Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, Hunter, Championship Manager, Falcon, Archon etc were either not possible or not feasible. If you liked variety, you had to have a computer, if you liked arcade games you had to have a console.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:38 pm

And don't forget Grand Prix...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Variety? as if consoles did not have plenty of variety. what a nonsense thing to say.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:09 pm

awesome games machine, beaten only by the 360 and PS2

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:15 pm

A lot of us would have been in our teens when the Amiga was released so it hits that nostalgic sweetspot.

Shortened to the key point.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:24 pm

PostieDoc wrote:Because the Amiga holds a lot of great memories for people who upgraded from the 8 bits.
I don't understand the reasoning behind this thread. Some people prefer consoles over the Amiga so they can't get their heads around why others love the Amiga, their system of choice?

Also Laird, why do you hold the ST in such high regard? It is basically an inferior Amiga.
A lot of us would have been in our teens when the Amiga was released so it hits that nostalgic sweetspot.
TBF, it all stems from another thread and that one kicked off because of the exact opposite. Amiga owners not being able to get their heads around people choosing the MD and Snes over Amiga.

So it works both ways really.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:44 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Variety? as if consoles did not have plenty of variety. what a nonsense thing to say.
They did have variety, but nowhere near as much as Amiga/ST/PC owners had. By their very nature, they were far superior at arcade games, so those tended to be the games that sold well, and so were the games mainly created for the machine.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:47 pm

PostieDoc wrote: Also Laird, why do you hold the ST in such high regard? It is basically an inferior Amiga.
Do I? Apart from the fact I owned an ST back in the day (and still do) I don't really have a huge amount of love for it, can't even remember the last time I used mine. It was a great computer back in the day, for lots of things - games was just a small part of it. But as a games machine it certainly hasn't aged well, it was inferior to the Amiga certainly and the later home consoles of the time in this department (note I said later because the Mega Drive didn't arrive until 5 years later in the UK!).

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:48 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Variety? as if consoles did not have plenty of variety. what a nonsense thing to say.
They did have variety, but nowhere near as much as Amiga/ST/PC owners had. By their very nature, they were far superior at arcade games, so those tended to be the games that sold well, and so were the games mainly created for the machine.

Thats fair enough.

I can understand why people prefer the amiga, but for me I enjoyed run and gun, Shooters, fighters, beatemups, platformers etc and just found the amiga too limited in that area.

although I always had one around to play championship manager, sensi, and monkey island.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:59 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:Because the Amiga holds a lot of great memories for people who upgraded from the 8 bits.
I don't understand the reasoning behind this thread. Some people prefer consoles over the Amiga so they can't get their heads around why others love the Amiga, their system of choice?

Also Laird, why do you hold the ST in such high regard? It is basically an inferior Amiga.
TBF, it all stems from another thread and that one kicked off because of the exact opposite. Amiga owners not being able to get their heads around people choosing the MD and Snes over Amiga.

I think in the other thread it was more a case of people saying that the Amiga is crap at fighters, platformers and arcade conversions and as such consoles are better.
Then it turned into a SF2 thread.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Because it was more than a games machine for me.

Having the writing ability of a doctor having a computer has always been important for me. (Both for writing and storing notes, if I look at something a write a week ago the chances of me understanding it are minimal! Oh for cheap portables when i was atschool/college/uni!)

My first serious use of a computer was my Speccy +3. Disks made storing work viable and a printer made it useful!

I used this for ages. it was my gaming machine too. I converted many games to disk copies (all manually with the machine, I had no multiface etc).

However eventually I got a megadrive for gaming, but since I could not afford more i kept my +3 for work (and some gaming).

Eventually the limits of the +3 got annoying and I anded up swapping the megadrive for a A500. Used the same on kxp1081 as per the speccy. But I could print out masses at college from disk so having my own printer got less important. i could do more work though and programming etc.

Off to uni. Got student loan. Went out and bought a A1200. This lastest me until my year out where because I was still elligable for a student loan I used the £1000 to buy my first pc. (although gaming moved onto a ps1 before the pc, but after the gettign the pc I sold the ps1)

The A1200 was the first computer I had with a HD. Using it was fun. I never used workbench (it sucks!). I used diskmaster with a custom script to launch things.

So maybe for many it was because it was a proper introduction to what computers were capable of. Means nothing to the kids today of course (beyond some looking at it as a gaming machine), but for me it was because it showed me the future.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:07 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:

It was the opposite if you read it... the ideal was to have both of course.

Just wish I'd kept my Amiga...hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:39 pm

You really want to see someone completely ignorant about the Amiga, then read this. you will know who I am talking about.

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?topic=263.0

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:57 pm

What _I_ don't get is why so many people reduce it to only a gaming box. I had even more fun programming it than I did playing games. For those of us that did more than play games it was an added dimension, and so much more fun to use (as in just your basic operation and handling of it) than this Linux box or my work Windows machine.
Not a day passes by without me wishing C= had stayed alive and had evolved the system. I follow and keep hope for all the different FPGA re-implementation projects around.