Your fave 90s game system

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is

MS DOS/Windows PC
11%
Sony PlayStation
20%
Super Nintendo
18%
Sega Mega Drive
8%
Nintendo 64
7%
Commodore Amiga
28%
Sega Saturn
2%
Sega Dreamcast
5%
SNK Neo Geo
2%
Other (describe)
No votes

Total votes: 61

outdated_gamer

Your fave 90s game system

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:39 am

A bit similar than the 16-bit thread, but much tougher to pick. Because I'm mean I only give you 1 possible option to vote for. I'm pitting different systems with different capabilities against each other, going by the basis of time period of activity rather than generations.

I spent most my time in the 90s playing on consoles than PC but once I got my own PC in the late 90s I became much more interested in PC gaming. it seemed it's library of games was much more diverse and offering the type of games consoles couldn't handle well and it also had leading hardware advancements, if you could afford it. But I have also enjoyed the SNES, N64 a lot, the type of games PC could only run thru emulation. The "PlayStation phenomenon" kinda passed by me, I have seen a lot of commercials and game reviews and also played many of it's games but I never actually owned the system. It's games were a mixture of Japanese style 3D fighting games, racing games and RPGs and some PC style games which were better on a good PC (compare Need For Speed High Stakes on PSX and PC for example - they're almost a gen appart). I give props to the PSX for it's excellent fighters and Eastern RPGs though, was a reason enough to own one. The Sega Mega Drive was a good system but once I got the SNES it kinda fell to the side. I was under the impression that Nintendo makes higher quality games than Sega, a view I later on changed a little but the fact is that Nintendo was making a killing on the SNES, games wise, even if the games were sold at ridiculous prices where I lived so I never had a really sizable library of SNES games and it was also hard to find people who could lend you games (there used to be more Sega owners). I enjoyed the Famicom aka NES well into the 90s too, even though I was never really impressed by it's graphics and sound. It was pretty clear it was an ageing platform at the time and the same could be said for other 8-bitters. The N64 was a console that introduced me to proper 3D gaming I previous only experienced in the form of SNES Super FX games such as Star Fox. The N64 took the 3D on a new level, with genre-altering games such as Super Mario 64, GoldenEye and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I used to be a pretty hardcore Nintendo fan at that time, which may also explain my shunning attitude towards Sony and Sega. But the Dreamcast changed that view. It was just too good to ignore, it's games being a gen ahead of anything on the PSX and N64. Even though the DC went down under way too soon, it enjoyed a steady stream of excellent games that showed Sega in it's most positive light, even if some old fans were disappointed by the lack of iconic Sega franchises (outside of Sonic). The Sega Saturn is a system that flopped commercially even more than the DC did, but I must say unrightfully so. I started appreciating that system much after it's market relevance and it's quite clear to me that there was nothing inherently wrong with the system but Sega's bad business decisions and Sony's propaganda machine led to it's downfall (funnily enough, I also appreciate the 32X, a hardware upgrade I feel could have been a stand-alone system and was not supported enough and is underrated right alongside 3DO and Atari Jaguar). The Neo Geo was a kind of "mythical" system back then that costed a fortune and ran Arcade-perfect games, but because of it's invailability and expenses I never owned it and experienced it only thru emulation. I was also interested in the Atari Jaguar but it never trully lived as it's presence was simply too niche and there was no game stores stocking it. The Commodore Amiga is a classic 80s computer that enjoyed good support well into the 90s but I must admit I don't have much experience with it. All I know about it is that it was the go-to 80s computer system, if you could afford one (ZX and C=64 were highly popular in the 80s where I live), but comming mid to late 90s, the DOS/Windows PC clearly overtook the Amiga and Commodore's bankruptcy kind of sealed it's fate. There was also the exotic PC engine/TurboGrafx but it wasn't really distributed in Europe (some imported machines were available in Benelux and France) and the SNES and MD almost completly took it's market share. Not to mention the handheld systems such as the Game Boy and Game Gear which were also fun, but for practical reasons I have omitted them from the pool.

Which was your fave 90s game machine and why? Vote/discuss. :wink:

c0nfu53d

Re: Your fave 90s game system

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:46 am

Super Nintendo. Again. Awesome range of games, cool RPGs and alot of fun memories as well.

Saturn for the second place.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:03 am

PC by a country mile... because of the Geoff Cramond Grand Prix series. Whatever the huff and puff about consoles being king, no console could do that series.

Not everyone's cup of tea game play wise but I sunk a silly amount of time into those... on the highest skill level.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

David

Post by David » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:28 am

so tough to choose between megadrive and Dreamcast

chose DC in the end as I can also play MD games on it :)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:39 am

Very difficult question. 90's to me screams 16-BIT MegaDrive vs SNES. That said, the N64 conquers all for me, so I can't not pick it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:43 am

N64, because Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, Goldeneye 007 , Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, WWF No Mercy, WCW/NWO Revenge, Super Mario Tennis, Mario Party 2, Starfox 64 etc.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:45 am

I picked the Mega Drive, even though it came out in the 80s, which makes this poll a bit strange. For me no other system comes close to matching its excellent library of games.

The Saturn would probably be my next pick along with the Lynx (although that is not on the list)

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:56 am

The Laird wrote:I picked the Mega Drive, even though it came out in the 80s, which makes this poll a bit strange. For me no other system comes close to matching its excellent library of games.
I knew that argument would come up sooner or later, but let us be honest here, the MD was really a 90s machine. :wink:

It might have been released in the late 80s but it wasn't untill the 90s that it got more popular and supported. I also find the inclusion of the Amiga is right because it remained relevant and supported well into the 90s, with several new models comming out (e.g. A1200, A4000, CD32, A600, A3000, etc).

edit: so far very interesting votes. This will be an interesting pool :P

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:06 am

PlayStation... obviously
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:11 am

Snes for me.

Closely followed by MD and N64.

I have started having a rethink on the PS1, although I am not ahuge fan of the machine and not excited about it, looking back I had a lotof fun and had many all nighters playing MGS, Resident Evil etc. when I look backI am nostalgiac about games I played on the machine, but not the machine itself. is that a bit odd.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:49 am

SNES. Although I love the Playstation I will full admit many of the games have aged very badly, whereas most SNES games have not

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:32 pm

Amiga, since it's been my games machine for all the 90s. Got a PSX in year 2000, but for me the 90s are all Amiga and it remains my favourite system, even if I appreciated the PSX in the 2000s a lot.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:36 pm

SNES, can't do justice to the original post, that should be a uni dissertation! The games were so expensive though, and we complain about modern games now!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:16 pm

Playstation easily. Unlike a lot of people, I really don't mind the 'dated' 3D titles and can play them as easily as a PS3 game. This kind of early 3D has a more 'innocent' and raw feel that I kinda like.

The Saturn would be a close second. I could easily have this and the PS1 as my only retro machines and be perfectly happy.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:41 pm

It has to be PC for me. The 90s were a time of so much change in PC land, you would almost need a new one every year. Sound cards, CD-ROM, 3D accelerators, they all opened up new possibilities.