Looking back at the Original Xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Re: Looking back at the Original Xbox

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:44 pm

silvergunner wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah, I've just run some emulators through my 4K tv via component and they look fair better than what they did on my CRT.
Shame the Xbox games look pap.
4k tv won't be helping with the picture quality one bit with the xbox games. 8 million pixels needed to fill that screen.

Also a cheap entry level 4k screen will be nowhere near as nice as a mid to top end range 1080p screen.
You need one of these to game in 4K. Forget about it on the consoles, they can't even handle 1080p in all titles. And I'd rather not think how the OG Xbox and systems prior to it (PS1 must be horiffic... :P ) would look like on a 4K display. :wink:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Changing the flicker filter on Darran's Xbox has completely transformed the image. No longer to games like Panzer Dragoon look blurry, super sharp images ahoy!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:43 pm

nakamura wrote:Changing the flicker filter on Darran's Xbox has completely transformed the image. No longer to games like Panzer Dragoon look blurry, super sharp images ahoy!
Where does one find the flicker filter?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:57 am

I kept a CRT tv for years to play this and other consoles, but couldn't keep it due to space. I have small kids flat screen TV now which is OK - but not great quality.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:37 am

gman72 wrote:
nakamura wrote:Changing the flicker filter on Darran's Xbox has completely transformed the image. No longer to games like Panzer Dragoon look blurry, super sharp images ahoy!
It's in the settings of Unleash iirc. It has 6 adjustable levels.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:13 am

nakamura wrote:
gman72 wrote:
It's in the settings of Unleash iirc. It has 6 adjustable levels.
OK I shall have to have a look. Thank you. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:10 am

Going to ferret out my copy of "Black" from the garage this weekend. I seem to remember playing it, liking it, but not putting a lot of time into it for some outside reason like work or such. Defo needs a fresh play

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:Going to ferret out my copy of "Black" from the garage this weekend. I seem to remember playing it, liking it, but not putting a lot of time into it for some outside reason like work or such. Defo needs a fresh play
One of my favourite FPS'. Completed it on both the PS2 and Xbox but seem to remember preferring the Xbox version due to slightly better graphics and of course, the triggers on the pad. Saying that, the PS2 version blew me away graphics-wise so it's a great game on both platforms.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:41 am

It's amazing enough on PS2 but even more refined on Xbox.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:18 am

nakamura wrote:It's amazing enough on PS2 but even more refined on Xbox.
what retro comps did people like - i thought the Taito ones were greats - loads of games for not much money.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:30 am

Timothy Redux wrote:
what retro comps did people like - i thought the Taito ones were greats - loads of games for not much money.
If we're talking Xbox-specific then I have to mention Tecmo Classic Arcade which is really cheap and contains some great games. Really enjoyed Bombjack and Pinball Action in particular on that one.

Of course, the Xbox versions of the Taito compilations have exclusive games not on the PS2 version (and vice versa) so it's worth owning both if the exclusives are up your alley. Taito Legends 2 is one of the best compilations ever made in my opinion. The likes of Elevator Action, Darius Gaiden, G-Darius, Puchi Carat, Puzzle Bobble 2, Cameltry and Cleopatra's Fortune are just some of the great games on the disc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:36 am

Megamixer wrote:
Timothy Redux wrote:
If we're talking Xbox-specific then I have to mention Tecmo Classic Arcade which is really cheap and contains some great games. Really enjoyed Bombjack and Pinball Action in particular on that one.

Of course, the Xbox versions of the Taito compilations have exclusive games not on the PS2 version (and vice versa) so it's worth owning both if the exclusives are up your alley. Taito Legends 2 is one of the best compilations ever made in my opinion. The likes of Elevator Action, Darius Gaiden, G-Darius, Puchi Carat, Puzzle Bobble 2, Cameltry and Cleopatra's Fortune are just some of the great games on the disc.
I'd never compared the PS2 and Xbox rosters. That's interesting. Might have to look into that. The Tecmo one does have Bombjack which I love - but the rest of the collection didn't grab me as much

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:29 am

Found the "midway arcade treasures collections" in my garage pile - really drops off by the 3rd volume doesn't it?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:36 am

Timothy Redux wrote:Found the "midway arcade treasures collections" in my garage pile - really drops off by the 3rd volume doesn't it?

TBH I love the 3rd one. I love driving games so this one suits me perfectly.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:48 am

might have to revisit the third collection - maybe I didn't give it a fair go