Looking back at the Original Xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

the_hawk

Re: Looking back at the Original Xbox

Post by the_hawk » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Completely overlooked it at the time, I has a PS2 & GameCube. Seemed to be a bit FPS heavy.

Got one years later for Coinops, its a great emulation machine.

In hindsite it has plently of fantastic games in its own right too, the Oddworld games, Stubbs the Zombie, Panzer Dragoon Otra Toejam & Earl 3 etc.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:31 pm

I remember the Edinburgh stages in Project Gotham Racing being amazingly accurate. I loved that game. Rallisport Challenge had fantastic handling too.
Thoughts and prayers.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:17 am

Oddworld strangers wrath is really overlooked game the best fps on the sytem imo.You need to play it rodimus.And painkiller not sure if that got a ps2 version I remember it being semi rare on the xbox though.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:54 am

retr0gamer wrote:It didn't help that a lot of the best XBox games were also on PC so not really exclusive and while I enjoyed Halo I wasn't blown away by it (and felt the campaign in Halo 2 was naff after a very strong start)
Of course they were exclusive, just because some were ported to PC a year or more after it was still exclusive at the time and remained console exclusive, not everyone has a PC or even wants to use one tbh.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:26 am

Easily one of my fave consoles of all time, got mine for Christmas years ago and it got played until it eventually died.

I later bought a replacement and soft-modded it, which was a brilliant experience :mrgreen:

I still have all my legit games, most of the classics outlined in the first post plus a few personal faves. I'm actually looking to try buy a replacement system but finding them is proving more and more difficult now :(

retr0gamer

Post by retr0gamer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:13 pm

General Opulence wrote:
retr0gamer wrote:It didn't help that a lot of the best XBox games were also on PC so not really exclusive and while I enjoyed Halo I wasn't blown away by it (and felt the campaign in Halo 2 was naff after a very strong start)
Of course they were exclusive, just because some were ported to PC a year or more after it was still exclusive at the time and remained console exclusive, not everyone has a PC or even wants to use one tbh.
It was only really Halo that had delayed release. Most stuff was simultaneous or very close to release, at least the stuff I was interested in. Anyway that was my experience of the machine, I had a gaming PC as well as all the consoles.

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:38 pm

if you are after cheap multiplatform games then xbox is a great way to start a collection from that era. quite a lot of them are cheaper than ps2 and much cheaper than gamecube.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:46 am

I've just been given an Xbox with coin-ops on it.
It seems decent and has things like Barbarian and Oh Mummy for the Mega Drive, but the output isn't the best :(

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:10 am

I really liked my original Xbox. Most of my favourite games for it have been mentioned already, but I remember spending a lot of time playing Tiger Woods 2004, Gun and Grabbed By The Ghoulies. None of them qualify as true classics, I know, but they were good fun at the time.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:49 am

I've got a modded crystal xbox with the official scart lead and the picture is very washed out and blurry.

Will a component lead fix it?

Oh and

:D

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:10 am

Got my Xbox back when in the day when I worked at Cash Converters, already had the Gamecube, and got the PS2 not long after, probably the opposite way round to most people. Still love Project Gotham, Ninja Gaiden Black, Star Wars KOTOR, and I seem to be the only person who enjoyed Amped more than SSX. What I've always wanted to know is why is it so f*****g heavy? Consoles do not need to weigh that much!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:07 am

It's definitely my favourite of the three systems, even though I think the PS2 has a better range of software on it.
The output isn't the greatest on Xbox, but component should definitely give you the best image.
Also, my cheap copy of Dreamfall works on this new machine, so that's made me happy.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:28 pm

Treguard wrote:What I've always wanted to know is why is it so f*****g heavy? Consoles do not need to weigh that much!
Well there's the HDD and bulky PC-style DVD drive for starters. The latter is quite large and heavy. Then there's the sheer size and sturdiness of thing (probably thicker plastics).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's definitely my favourite of the three systems, even though I think the PS2 has a better range of software on it.
The output isn't the greatest on Xbox, but component should definitely give you the best image.
Also, my cheap copy of Dreamfall works on this new machine, so that's made me happy.
There are loads of settings for the picture output etc in coinops you could tweak them.Also there will be a pal or ntsc picture setting.Try changing that depending on your tv.You can run it at 1080 if its modded so the picture quality should be pretty decent if setup right.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Treguard wrote:What I've always wanted to know is why is it so f*****g heavy? Consoles do not need to weigh that much!
Well there's the HDD and bulky PC-style DVD drive for starters. The latter is quite large and heavy. Then there's the sheer size and sturdiness of thing (probably thicker plastics).

The power converter is built into it as well