Looking back at the Original Xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: Looking back at the Original Xbox

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:55 pm

So gman, THATS the neon-lights you were referring to! Very "festive"! No wonder we need more nuclear power plants built...

I've been trying coinops 8 lately, and its pretty decent and genuinely impressed, and specifically for arcade roms where I've struggled to find too many faults with it (and you know me, I'm a stickler for perfection), and found only a few glitches in its emulation of some games, but nothing game-breaking and staggering considering we're talking about Pentium 3 hardware from 2000.

For SNES enthusiasts, I'd still push the case of the Wii being the superior emulation platform, as I've discovered that coinops 8 uses the fairly old (but fast) zsnesxbox emulation, where as the SNES uses a fairly optimised SNES 9X emulator. Its really noticeable the difference, particularly on audio (graphical glitches to a lesser extent). The difference in quality of playing a game like Earthworm Jim 2 on a Wii vs an Xbox is night and day, from Jim's opening playing the harmonica, to any kind of gun sound - ie actually being audible on the Wii. Although another solution is to play Earthworm Jim on the Megadrive/Mega CD as an alternative on Xbox, so all is definitely not lost!

Definitely a solid performing machine overall, and can see why people mod and keep them today.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:21 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:So gman, THATS the neon-lights you were referring to! Very "festive"! No wonder we need more nuclear power plants built...

I've been trying coinops 8 lately, and its pretty decent and genuinely impressed, and specifically for arcade roms where I've struggled to find too many faults with it (and you know me, I'm a stickler for perfection), and found only a few glitches in its emulation of some games, but nothing game-breaking and staggering considering we're talking about Pentium 3 hardware from 2000.

For SNES enthusiasts, I'd still push the case of the Wii being the superior emulation platform, as I've discovered that coinops 8 uses the fairly old (but fast) zsnesxbox emulation, where as the SNES uses a fairly optimised SNES 9X emulator. Its really noticeable the difference, particularly on audio (graphical glitches to a lesser extent). The difference in quality of playing a game like Earthworm Jim 2 on a Wii vs an Xbox is night and day, from Jim's opening playing the harmonica, to any kind of gun sound - ie actually being audible on the Wii. Although another solution is to play Earthworm Jim on the Megadrive/Mega CD as an alternative on Xbox, so all is definitely not lost!

Definitely a solid performing machine overall, and can see why people mod and keep them today.

Seph you just need to change the video mode to ntsc instead of pal.The sound will be miles better for the snes in ntsc mode.Try getting an xbox app called enigmah (its probably on isozone)that can switch your bios between ntsc and pal.If you read the "read me" in coinops it will tell you about the snes's soind issues in pal mode.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:55 pm

aztecca wrote:[

Seph you just need to change the video mode to ntsc instead of pal.The sound will be miles better for the snes in ntsc mode.Try getting an xbox app called enigmah (its probably on isozone)that can switch your bios between ntsc and pal.If you read the "read me" in coinops it will tell you about the snes's soind issues in pal mode.
I've already used the enigmah video switcher a while back. Its in ntsc mode already, as i wanted to run og xbox games in full 480p/720p where possible and couldn't seem to do that with component on its usual "PAL" state.

The issue is the limitations of zsnes being the core emulator (for SNES emulation on coinops). Its just a very old x86 PC emulator that has seen no updates for years (on PC or its Xbox port) and was all about "speed" and being able to play SNES games without frameskipping even on old Pentium 2 processors. It does a job, but lacks accuracy, which is why you get audio and video glitches, even if they aren't all necessarily that horrendous or even game-breaking. SNES9X is a much better and more accurate emulator which is why you'd be insane to use zsnes these days on any half modern PC...but the Xbox is not a modern PC (its a "lite" Pentium 3 733mhz PC), and I see the rationale behind using zsnes for the xbox, but it comes with a few problems.

I think there may be a SNES9X separate Xbox port, but I tested it a year or so ago, and it wasn't particularly good. The Wii SNES9X port meanwhile is up to version 4.3.4 (last update was in feb this year) and seems pretty optimised by comparison even on humble hardware like the Wii.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:02 pm

You can change the core snes emulator in the coinops advanced settings not sure off hand what the other core is it may work better for you.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:47 pm

aztecca wrote:You can change the core snes emulator in the coinops advanced settings not sure off hand what the other core is it may work better for you.
It appears to be the older zsnes core, just as you can do that in the PC version of it. Sometimes it can clear up certain glitches found in the newer version, but of course if left on can bring up problems solved with the newer core in other games.

Ideally, bsnes aka higan would be the best solution, as its mean't to be 100% accurate. But you need a fairly mammoth CPU to run it, something well beyond what the Wii or Xbox could manage. SNES9X would be ideal, but it hasn't been optimised well for Xbox unfortunately. ZSNES is acceptable enough though.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:09 am

I'm absolutely fine with the SNES emulation as it stands on coinOPS8. As long as I can play the game, see the graphics and hear the sound that's all I require. If I was fussed I'd play SNES on my laptop.
I sold all my Wii stuff anyway, including all my rare games and turned a pretty penny.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:17 am

gman72 wrote:I'm absolutely fine with the SNES emulation as it stands on coinOPS8. As long as I can play the game, see the graphics and hear the sound that's all I require. If I was fussed I'd play SNES on my laptop.
I sold all my Wii stuff anyway, including all my rare games and turned a pretty penny.
Oh yea, its definitely worth selling Wii games as you mentioned, as you can play them all on backup 100% perfectly on an HDD. Don't ever rule out picking up another Wii though Gman, they're really quite cool machines when you explore their potential (just like with the Xbox). The HDD connected to the Wii is full of tons of Gamecube and Wii games and they run natively so no discussion even about the dreaded "emulation" word.

And if you were going to play SNES games on your laptop, you'd probably use snex9x or higan I'd assume? Coinops uses zsnes, which is fine, but like I've always said, people have different standards when it comes to emulation, so it is worth managing peoples expectations. Its far from perfect, but it ranges from acceptable to good pending on your tolerance. I'm being picky here, but we are on the same side believe it or not on this! :mrgreen:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:35 am

Well, yeah, there may well be better options about for those that require them but this after all is a look aback at the original Xbox - its all in the title you know - and for the one stop shop that it is coinOPS8 services my needs completely.
Last edited by gman72 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:58 am

gman72 wrote:Well, yeah, there may well be better options about for those that require them but for the one stop shop that it is coinOPS8 services my needs completely.
Same here I hate Emulation via PC or playing anything via PC but the lastest X Box emulation is brilliant.. I don't use Snes emulation as I have Super Famicom and Krizz Everdrive but Mame is 90% perfect and Amiga works brilliantly
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"