Looking back at the Original Xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Looking back at the Original Xbox

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:44 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:22 of the top 25 games were only available to play on Xbox and not PS2 or GameCube.
10 of those also appeared on PC.
in general it largely (but not always) had the best multformat versions too.

Xbox is a great retro console and the only thing that annoys me about its inclusion in the mag is the inability to take nice screenshots.
I just had a quick re-read of the list, and somewhat stand corrected! I still think in terms of exclusives, the PS2 had a richer and deeper choice. I tend to go for the Xbox version on the multiplatformers though.
Mate, I'm not saying that the Xbox had a richer and deeper choice of exclusives, I fully agree with you. But the Xbox does have some truly excellent exclusives that make it an essential system to own.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:44 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Monkey Ball was better on the Gamecube (and better suited to the cube controllers analogue stick). Burnout is a tough call, and although GTA was graphically enhanced (although not drastically), many prefer using the PS2 control pad for these games over the Xbox pad.

I don't doubt that its a great system, even though I placed it third. Its just the PS2 had such an enormous library of games, it was always going to win.....plus it had full backwards compatibility with PS1 games meaning the overall choice of games on the PS2 is staggering.

Panzer Dragoon Orta and Forza 1 are great, Outrun 2 is pretty cool as well (although of course this is kind of available on the PS2 in its 2006 guise), and the PGR games are fun...but it does lack the depth of the PS2 exclusives library. This is due to the enormous userbase of the PS2 and developers were clearly throwing their might into that console....especially japanese developers. Perhaps more full blown explosives could be listed beyond the ones already named here....always useful to know them!
Well i owned Monkey Ball, Burnout and GTA Series on two platforms at the time and found the Xbox version to be the best, GTA framerate is much better than the PS2 version, and the graphics are higher resolution with better lighting, so if you put them side by side it was quite an improvement at the time.

I don't disagree the PS2 had the biggest games library, but there was more than enough amazing games on the Xbox for the whole generation, so in that respect i preferred the best version of the games i wanted, 5.1 sound and online games. More quality over quantity for me (of course the PS2 had some amazing exclusives too, that's not in dispute)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:47 am

I'll have to disagree about Monkey Ball, it works far better on the GameCube due to the ridges in the stick.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:49 am

@darran Fair one. I am pro-Xbox by the way....just adding some balance to the discussion!

@GeneralOp - Definitely plenty of great games on the Xbox, whether they were exclusive or mutliformat games. You might have a point on Burnout and GTA versions, but Monkey Ball was DEFINITELY best on the Gamecube! I have the original Monkey Ball 1 & 2 on cube, and Super Monkey Ball Deluxe on the Xbox, and the Gamecube versions are superior. But you may be comparing Monkey Ball Deluxe on the Xbox to the PS2 version?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:54 am

I'm pro Xbox too, but I'd never say it's a better overall console than the PS2 (although I certainly prefer it).
In fact, I need to start sifting through my collection. I bought around 200 games in the space of three months due to their insane cheapness and I now need to start filtering out the rubbish.
The rule I'm using is play it for an hour. If it doesn't hold my attention it gets the boot. I'm currently borderline on Agressive Inline.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:28 am

The original Xbox was a quality machine. I have a pretty tidy set of original games for my black and crystal white versions of the machine. Was it better than PS2 and Gamecube? Tough question really, as I enjoyed all three machines immensely. Each had great exclusives and shone in different ways.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:07 pm

Think this came out on PC too but Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is another great game on the xbox.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:34 pm

stvd wrote:Think this came out on PC too but Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is another great game on the xbox.
Agreed it's an excellent game. PC but effectively a console exclusive.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:51 pm

I personally place it behind the PS2 and then Gamecube in terms of my favourite machines of the generation but regardless, it is a great console. Having an internal HDD and being able to rip music CD's for custom tracks were both great features that the rivals didn't offer. I also quite like the big pads even though many don't but the build quality on these (and the machines to be fair) is rock-solid and reassuring. The only weakness is the awful Thomson DVD drive. Mine started becoming really unreliable, skipping on FMV, not reading discs until the Xbox had been powered-up for a few minutes etc. Luckily managed to get a Samsung drive from a kind member on Retro Collect, installed that instead and now it works perfectly.

Used to have a fair few games but I culled them all back so that all I currently have are:

Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
(special big box edition)
Dead or Alive Xtreme
Halo
Toejam & Earl III
Jet Set Radio Future
Tecmo Classic Arcade
Project Gotham
Project Gotham 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Black

Black aside, I'm only interested in keeping exclusives. Still a fair few other games I'd like to buy and try but in general, The Xbox is like the Gamecube where I'm happy with a small set of awesome exclusives as opposed to a massive shelf-load of software like with my PS2 collection.

Completed PGR2 recently and you'd never guess it was such an old release. Looks and plays beautifully.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:59 pm

Dreamfall the longest journey was an ace xbox game too(pc too).Imo xbox had the better of multiplatform version of a game in 9/10 times.Unless you wanted jrpgs or nintendo games the xbox was better for racers, fps, saves to hard drive ,best online console gaming at the time.A great modding scene.For me personally the best console at the time by a mile.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:00 pm

aztecca wrote:Dreamfall the longest journey was an ace xbox game too(pc too).Imo xbox had the better of multiplatform version of a game in 9/10 times.Unless you wanted jrpgs or nintendo games the xbox was better for racers, fps, saves to hard drive ,best online console gaming at the time.A great modding scene.For me personally the best console at the time by a mile.
I've got a copy of this but it doesn't load :(

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Streetfighter anniversary collection well worth getting on the xbox too.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
stvd wrote:Think this came out on PC too but Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is another great game on the xbox.
Agreed it's an excellent game. PC but effectively a console exclusive.
Yes, definitely should be on anyone's list of xbox goodness.

Armed & Dangerous is another great game.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Just have to say that Rallisport challenge 2 really is an amazing driving game. superb.

Would love the two of them redone in a HD doublepack, same for project gotham racing.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retr0gamer

Post by retr0gamer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Never really liked the original XBox. I had a PS2 and the Gamecube was a great compliment to that but the XBox kind of just gathered dust. It didn't help that a lot of the best XBox games were also on PC so not really exclusive and while I enjoyed Halo I wasn't blown away by it (and felt the campaign in Halo 2 was naff after a very strong start). Still I got a few games for it since multiplats were usually a tiny bit better for it and it does have some excellent exclusives. Ninja Gaiden is a stone cold classic and I totally fell in love with Panzer Dragoon Orta, so much so it finally convinced me to splash out on a japanese modded saturn, still by far and away the best retro gaming related purchase I ever made.