Looking back at the Original Xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: Looking back at the Original Xbox

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:41 pm

tachi wrote:My new TV has only HDMI, RF, USB and VGA and can see now easy way to get an Xbox onto those :(
Surely it has component. Most HD TVs have that as standard.

tachi

Post by tachi » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:15 pm

It has a component port which my RGB for the PS2 goes into via a conversion cable but my Xbox has only a solid Scart, not a component lead :(
Maybe I will try to find one I can buy :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:35 pm

^Definitely.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Funny how the Xbox 360 has a lead that connects to a vga port but the Xbox original doesn't...

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Loved the original Xbox. If a game was out on both formats - I'd try to get the XB version as usually the frame rate was higher and the graphics were a bit more solid.

The original Splinter Cell sold it to me - awesome game. Halo then cemented it for me. Fable was also excellent.

If any of you missed Full Spectrum Warrior, give it a go. It really is quite special. (the first one as opposed to its sequel 'Ten Hammers').

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKOfmCVqBG4

tachi

Post by tachi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:33 pm

Friend had a component cable with removable scart head so we did a swap ;)
Arx Fatalis is still pretty cool :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:29 pm

Got an original one - that I am planning to mod. As for the library of games itself, not too many standout - but things like Knights of the Old Republic(I suppose that was one of the "big hitters" on the format - although, I have the PC with the extra level) and Shenmue II are the ones that catch my eye. I'm sure there are a lot of decent games(the Oblivion series, etc.) - but other platforms have them - and I suppose there are lot of good ports as well(Crazy Taxi 3).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:51 pm

I'm down to owning only around 8 games for mine now. Constantly tempted to sell it to make some space but it's impossible to let go of Project Gotham 2 and a few other exclusives.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:05 am

Megamixer wrote:I'm down to owning only around 8 games for mine now. Constantly tempted to sell it to make some space but it's impossible to let go of Project Gotham 2 and a few other exclusives.
And lets face it, the Xbox as a console really does take up a lot of space - including even the bloody power cable and controllers.

PGR2 though, good call. Might have another play on it this weekend. Wasn't it PGR2 where you could walk through a showroom and take out an expensive car for a testdrive? Very fond memories of walking into the Jaguar garage to take out the XJ220 for a spin.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:12 am

If we are talking about driving games then don't forget about the 2 rallisport challenge games, especially the 2nd one which is fantastic.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:53 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I'm down to owning only around 8 games for mine now. Constantly tempted to sell it to make some space but it's impossible to let go of Project Gotham 2 and a few other exclusives.
And lets face it, the Xbox as a console really does take up a lot of space - including even the bloody power cable and controllers.

PGR2 though, good call. Might have another play on it this weekend. Wasn't it PGR2 where you could walk through a showroom and take out an expensive car for a testdrive? Very fond memories of walking into the Jaguar garage to take out the XJ220 for a spin.
That's the one. It just looks so bloody good even today and plays perfectly. The car selection is great and I love the music + general vibe. Doing the full length of the Nurburgring Nordsheife is pretty special too.

I recently sold my Dead or Alive games off (since there's only really any point in keeping the latest and prettiest version which is 5!) so now all I have is:

PGR
PGR2
Halo
Black
Tecmo Classic Arcade
Toejam & Earl III
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Jet Set Radio Future

That's pretty much the rock bottom as far as my numerous clear-outs are concerned. I did once have 30-40 Xbox titles - most of the good stuff - but I've gradually whittled it down to the reasons why I can't let go of the 'box which are the above games. Like you say, it takes up a lot of room and I have 3 pads for it as well which almost fill one of my controller boxes.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:30 pm

Recently acquired Toejam and Earl 3 - the only others I really want are Crazy Taxi 3 , Tecmo Arcade and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Other than that not overly bothered.

More interested in modding but still cant figure a way around the thumbdrive issue unless someone wants to lend me a drive with the necessary stuff on?

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:07 pm

shiftytigger wrote: More interested in modding but still cant figure a way around the thumbdrive issue unless someone wants to lend me a drive with the necessary stuff on?
Damn got rid of mine a few years ago... Otherwise you could def have borrowed it...

Dannyhalifax

Post by Dannyhalifax » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:30 am

I have just bought a Xbox crystal off eBay, when I boot it up it goes to slayer's evo x m8 screen.

Now I'm assuming this has been modded somehow and the HDD doesn't seem to have much space on it but there is no option to access emulators or anything like that just ms dashboard or settings.

I'm a complete failure when it comes to things like this but would like to get mame and a couple of other emulators on it if possible.

Can anyone offer me any advice or point me in the right direction as to how to do this ,as I said I'm clueless so any sorts of idiots guide or advice and I would be eternally grateful.

Cheer's

Danny

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:57 am

I have 2 original xbox consoles.

A pristine crystal with two pads - modded with custom firmware and large HDD.
A large collection of original software, and an even larger collection of back ups - several hundred.

and also this beauty...
including
TSOP flash, 160 GB HDD, coinOPS8 with 13,000 roms installed and working, custom version of unleash X, 720p with component cable, LED mod, clock cap removed, replaced drive belts and a partridge in a pair tree. It's the pinnacle evolution of that particular hardware and you lose entire afternoons on coinOPS8.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD