Looking back at the Original Xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Redux

Re: Looking back at the Original Xbox

Post by Timothy Redux » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:04 am

Megamixer wrote:Yeah. It has a 'look' that isn't really comparable to other games (well unless you count other PD games of course). Some of the boss battles are indeed tough and need a few goes to beat but the game overall is a nice experience. Costs bugger all to purchase today as well unless it's suddenly shot up in price unknown to me.
yes, it was pretty cheap as I remember. No more than a few quid.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:58 pm

My coin-ops 7 modded xbox is only outputting xbox games at 16:9. Is there any way to temporarily turn the chip to go to the original xbox dashboaRD?
Sorted.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:59 am

Now find myself wanting to dig out my copy of Crimson Skies too - another cheap but fun one

n1nty

Post by n1nty » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:18 am

Love it, to the fact I completed a full pal set a while back. Now just playing the damn games, currently Panzer Elite. Feels abit strange blowing up the Allies but still nice little tank game.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:40 am

Timothy Redux wrote:Now find myself wanting to dig out my copy of Crimson Skies too - another cheap but fun one
they had this in the charity shop the other day. might pick it up, think i might have overlooked it before now.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:16 pm

Really annoyed that my five hour save of Cthulhu won't transfer over to my new Xbox.
On the other hand, I get to play Cthulhu again.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:21 pm

thingonaspring wrote:
Timothy Redux wrote:Now find myself wanting to dig out my copy of Crimson Skies too - another cheap but fun one
they had this in the charity shop the other day. might pick it up, think i might have overlooked it before now.
would defo say grab it - it's fun even just flying the plane around casually. Always reminds me a bit of Drake games for some reason.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:41 pm

thingonaspring wrote:
It is a superb game, really fun. I gave up in fury however at the section with the 'trials', specifically the one where you have to follow some bloke's plane precisely through a twisty course in a canyon. Up until that point it was amazing; the dogfights, protecting the train, shooting down zeppelins etc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:07 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Really annoyed that my five hour save of Cthulhu won't transfer over to my new Xbox.
On the other hand, I get to play Cthulhu again.
Haven't played Cthulhu - is it very puzzle based?

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:37 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah, I've just run some emulators through my 4K tv via component and they look fair better than what they did on my CRT.
Shame the Xbox games look pap.
4k tv won't be helping with the picture quality one bit with the xbox games. 8 million pixels needed to fill that screen.

Also a cheap entry level 4k screen will be nowhere near as nice as a mid to top end range 1080p screen.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:32 am

n1nty wrote:Love it, to the fact I completed a full pal set a while back. Now just playing the damn games, currently Panzer Elite. Feels abit strange blowing up the Allies but still nice little tank game.
Congrats on getting the full set.Some of them are hard to track down.Did you get the eu and aussie exclusives too?

What did you find hardest to track down?
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:07 am

Bust out my Crystal Xbox last night. Still running like a dream. I played Hunter The Reckoning and Panzer Dragoon Orta (which does lovely). I have about 20 full games installed - tried to put interesting titles in there - plus a whole load of emulators. I spent an hour or so on COIN OPS playing Gauntlet 2, a bunch of scrolling shooters I've not heard of before, Alien Storm and a game called Bay Route which is a shameless but fun Contra clone by Sega and Sunsoft. Happy Days. :D
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bayroute/bayroute.htm
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks to the ever brilliant Aztecca I'm now the proud owner of a hard-modded crystal Xbox. I've gathered a nice bunch of original Xbox games over the past few weeks just waiting to be played. Now there's an agonizing wait while my SCART cable is delivered :cry:

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Rayne wrote:Thanks to the ever brilliant Aztecca I'm now the proud owner of a hard-modded crystal Xbox. I've gathered a nice bunch of original Xbox games over the past few weeks just waiting to be played. Now there's an agonizing wait while my SCART cable is delivered :cry:
ha ha - I think half my games came via Aztecca too :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:
Rayne wrote:Thanks to the ever brilliant Aztecca I'm now the proud owner of a hard-modded crystal Xbox. I've gathered a nice bunch of original Xbox games over the past few weeks just waiting to be played. Now there's an agonizing wait while my SCART cable is delivered :cry:
ha ha - I think half my games came via Aztecca too :D
I had a few too once upon a time...still got the DoA Ultimate big box set that he sold me in sweet condition 8) . Not sure how uncommon that one is these days.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.