Buying original spectrum games nowadays

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Buying original spectrum games nowadays

Post by The Laird » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:43 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:
stvd wrote:
MadManDan79 wrote:On a serious note the spectrum was a good machine in its time... Though it did have the c64 and Atari 800 for competition...
The c64, fair enough but the Atari 800??????? :?
They were all competing with each other in the 80s and all 3 used cassette players. You also had the Atari 600 and 1200 as well.
Actually if you want to be correct there is the following:

Atari 400, 800, 1200 XL, 600 XL, 800 XL, 65 XE, 130 XE, XE Games System (XEGS) and 800 XE

Also the prototype 1400 XL, 1450 XLD and 65 XEM (very limited numbers of these floating around)

Oh and you could include the 5200 if you liked too, as that is the same hardware. No wonder the Atari 8-bit range confuses people :lol:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:01 pm

David wrote:how easy / cheaply can you replace a membrane
no idea how easy but a quick google search found new replacements for about £10 shipped (they were not original sinclair but they are notorious for breaking)

how easy to replace? not sure

David

Post by David » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:26 pm

i am no use at technical/fixing things so would have to be simple

i am the kind of person who could burn cornflakes

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:46 pm

Keyboard membrane is a piece of censored to change over-so I would not let it put you off buying a real speccy. The various models all have their own issues, the original and the plus suffer from keyboard problems as does the Sinclair 128. The Amstrad produced units have a common problem with the belt drive in the built in cassette drive-they usually need replaced due to loss of tension or general erosion.
As for tape based media, I have a load of Spectrum games and with the exception of one copy of Spy Hunter-the ALL load fine.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:34 pm

The keyboard membrane has a 'ribbon' that slots ito a socket in the Speccy. Its a simple case of pulling one out and inserting the other.

A little patience and care will see you through, its simple enough.

You do need to make sure you get the membrane for the same model of Speccy as you buy though, since they change a bit.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:46 pm

The Laird wrote:
stvd wrote:
MadManDan79 wrote:On a serious note the spectrum was a good machine in its time... Though it did have the c64 and Atari 800 for competition...
The c64, fair enough but the Atari 800??????? :?
The Atari 8-bit was vastly superior hardware wise and sold about the same amount of machines worldwide, so what's the problem?
:?
C64 - 17 million
Spectrum - 5 million
Atari 400/800/XL/XE 2.5 million

Is 2.5 about the same as 5? Not really.

To he fair it's not about sales really. Or which machine is technically superior.
As far as the UK is concerned, no Atari machine was competition for the c64 or Spectrum.. Full stop.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:41 am

:?
C64 - 17 million
Spectrum - 5 million
Atari 400/800/XL/XE 2.5 million

Is 2.5 about the same as 5? Not really.

To he fair it's not about sales really. Or which machine is technically superior.
As far as the UK is concerned, no Atari machine was competition for the c64 or Spectrum.. Full stop.[/quote]

C64 and Spectrum were the dominant force over here, anyone who had anything different , be it an oric , an atari (computer) , a vic 20 , aquarius or whatever other minority make of machine struggled for software or / mates to trade / play games with etc .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:18 am

No idea at all where you got those sales figures, the Atari 8-bit range is far more than 2.5 million. The original computers may have sold that before the XE range, that is the only way I can think that you came across that figure. Of course I knew you would argue it anyway, as you tend to try and argue most of my posts.

Here is a nice reference chart I found ages back, it also shows a more correct figure for the C64. Not the vastly inflated 17 million one which was proved to be fake many years ago.

You could also add on the console sales from the Atari 8-bit range too (5200 and XEGS) which are not included here and you could up it another 1.4 million.

You are right about the UK though, I wouldn't argue that. I was a Spectrum owner and still am and all my friends had a Speccy too, I only knew 2 kids with a C64.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:33 am

The Laird wrote:Of course I knew you would argue it anyway, as you tend to try and argue most of my posts.
TBF, it was Madman's post I respond to before you jumped in.

OK, back on topic. :D

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:21 am

Some people have manufactured new replacement keyboard membranes, but as far as I know only two versions to fit either (a) the original rubber-keyed ZX Spectrum 48K and 16K models, and (b) the chunky-keyed ZX Spectrum+ 48K or the very first 128K 'toastrack' (because of its exposed heatsink).

But not for either the Amstrad-made grey ZX Spectrum +2 (identifiable in bad lighting by having the tape control symbols printed on the buttons) and the revised black +2A / +3 tape/disk models (which have the same keyboard layout as the grey one, but a different membrane. On the +2A the tape control symbols are printed above the buttons).

Also the +2 and the +2A (and the disk drive in the +3) all have different drive belts. The tape ones will almost certainly need replacing. What happens is if they've sat still for years, the belt gets stuck in an oval shape, which then stretches and slips when you start it up again.

The best from an overall compatibility point of view is the grey +2 model, though most reliable buy is the black +2A. There are some old games though that will only run on the original 48K. Just check the wires of the power supply you're getting aren't obviously damaged. And the power supplies should not be swapped between different types of machine. Some of them don't have the same power rating, but also they have different connectors.

You can get A/V / RGB cables for the +2, +2A and +3 models. With a 48K it's fairly easy to bypass the modulator circuit and make it output an A/V signal instead of its tuned RF output (if whoever you buy off hasn't done so already). Then with another audio cable coming from the MIC socket on the back, you can plug them into a SCART adaptor. But be warned - a lot of big modern tellys won't display the picture properly. A smaller LCD or old CRT telly is recommended, particularly if you can get hold of a 4:3 one instead of widescreen.

The +2, +2A and +3 have two 'Sinclair' type joystick ports built-in, but they're wired for proprietary Amstrad joysticks, so you'll need a pair of plug-in adaptors to use an ordinary Atari-type or Quickshot 9-pin joystick.

As for games, get an SD card loader like the DivMMC Enjoy! , which also has a Kempston joystick interface build in. Load the games you want off SD card and just collect the ones you want to own permanently. Either for rarity, box art, publisher or programmer, arcade conversions, or simply your favourites.

David

Post by David » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:34 am

so you can't get a black +2a replacement membrane?!

this is confusing

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:04 pm

The membrane might be fixable (at least well enough to load games), depends what's wrong with it.

Breaks in the tracks can potentially be bridged.

My own Spectrum+ had keys that 'wore out', so the bubble separating the contacts collapsed as the plastic cracked. I just jammed some small pieces of (Citadel miniature) foam inside around the edges of the key contacts. It keeps them apart unless a key is pressed, worked for years.

Its a really simple piece of tech.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.