Atari vs C64 // was: 8-Bit Computer Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best 8-Bit

ZX Spectrum
41%
Commodore 64
46%
Amstrad CPC 464
10%
BBC Micro
3%

Total votes: 263

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue May 01, 2007 8:41 pm

Xesh wrote:The BBC is the best by a mile.
You're hoping mate, the Spectrum and C64 can both equal or better just about everything you listed. =-)

Then again, if you know where i can get some notes on how to cross assemble for the Beeb i'd be interested!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed May 02, 2007 4:12 am

ZX SPECTRUM!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Danforth

Post by Danforth » Wed May 02, 2007 4:39 am

Spectrum, for the sheer charm of the thing. Though an Honorable Mention for our brown-hued eternal enemies in the C64 camp (/waves)
Clones are People II

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed May 02, 2007 4:42 am

As I think we've got more Speccy fans here than C64, then I think it's obvious where the poll will go...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

quarkslot

Post by quarkslot » Wed May 02, 2007 9:04 am

The BBC was a good machine...

...however the Spectrum was, and still is, a classic.

While I enjoyed the rivalry with the C64, because it was a worthy rival, it had neither the charm nor captured peoples hearts and imaginations to the same extent as the Spectrum.

You only need to look at the volume and originality of top quality games produced for the Spectrum in those days (and to this day), what's more the retro scene is really strong.

No contest.

theaveng

Post by theaveng » Wed May 02, 2007 2:37 pm

ZX Spectrum

What's that? Never heard of it. Isit similar to a TR
aSh-80?

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed May 02, 2007 5:00 pm

The BBC is definitely technically the best of the four, it was just always held back by high price and (relatively) low user base, education market aside.

I would love to see more Beeb coverage in RG though, anybody can emulate for free these days, or pick up an old model B for a couple of quid... and a whole generation grew up with them in school if nothing else...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:05 pm

The Master wrote: and a whole generation grew up with them in school if nothing else...
Nope. Far too expensive for my school. We had a Speccy, which was mildly embarrassing for the teacher.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed May 02, 2007 5:13 pm

Speccy.
( cus i had one. )

Lets face it we are all probably going to vote for the one we owned.

Is there anybody here that had both at one time or another and therefore don't really have a bias.?

What do these people really think.?

Regards

RIK

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed May 02, 2007 5:31 pm

RetroRik wrote:
Is there anybody here that had both at one time or another and therefore don't really have a bias.?

I had both at the time (CBM64 & ZX Spectrum) but the Speccy had something "extra" that the 64 couldn't reproduce..
I know some games were far better on the 64 than on the speccy but it still had a charm and a user base that made it stand above anything else around at the time..

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed May 02, 2007 6:24 pm

The Master wrote:The BBC is definitely technically the best of the four, it was just always held back by high price and (relatively) low user base, education market aside.

I would love to see more Beeb coverage in RG though, anybody can emulate for free these days, or pick up an old model B for a couple of quid... and a whole generation grew up with them in school if nothing else...
The Beeb was a technically impressive machine, and Elite made it untouchable for a year or so (until the awesome speccy version arrived) - I loved programming in BBC Basic (so good that Sir Clive Sinclair himself used a variant for the Z88)

It had a horrific limitation in the lack of colours it could display on screen though - Repton was a great game, but you needed sunglasses to play it without suffering a migraine (queue protests from Repton fans) - nice manipulation of the display list in elite to get the hi-res 3d screens and colour control panels...

Ultimately though it was far too expensive, and the only mate I had who owned one was spoiled rotten (to the point that he managed to end up with a BBC B and a Spectrum as he was jealous of my rubber keyed wonder machine)
Last edited by neuromancer on Wed May 02, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZXF

Post by ZXF » Wed May 02, 2007 6:26 pm

GO SPECTRUM! :D
ZXF: Download the free magazine for Spectrum gamers now!! http://zxf.magazine.googlepages.com/home

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed May 02, 2007 7:14 pm

neuromancer wrote:The Beeb was a technically impressive machine
Are we talking about the same hardware here...? i mean, i like the Beeb and i've been looking for programming information for a while now (nobody seems to be cross developing software, or if they are they're keeping bloody quiet about it!) but unless i missed something fairly major there's nothing technically impressive about the BBC that other hardware did just as well. Want to be more specific about which part of the hardware was impressive...?

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Wed May 02, 2007 7:19 pm

TMR wrote:...i mean, i like the Beeb and i've been looking for programming information for a while now (nobody seems to be cross developing software, or if they are they're keeping bloody quiet about it!)...
You've checked here, of course? http://www.6502.org/crossdev/

:D
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed May 02, 2007 7:52 pm

RetroRik wrote:Is there anybody here that had both at one time or another and therefore don't really have a bias.?

I can't say I owned both, but I play both through emulation and try to view them through harsh, nostalgia-free eyes. I realise this isn't the same as living the magic, but still...

When I compare the games on the two, the 64 generally feels as if it's a generation above the speccy. Better sound, smooth scrolling, smooth sprite movement, a choice between multicolour or hi-res monochrome or both mixed together. The 64's mulitcolour graphics are pretty blocky, but once you get the TV style blur effects going, it's quite acceptable..

The first time I tried a spectrum emulator, it took me a while to realise that the way the colors of moving objects affected the background colors (or vice versa) wasn't an emulation bug. And I tried a bunch of emulators in search of smooth scrolling.

Still, the speccy is wining the poll, so I guess it touched the hearts of many fans.
Last edited by Emperor Fossil on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.