Atari vs C64 // was: 8-Bit Computer Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best 8-Bit

ZX Spectrum
41%
Commodore 64
46%
Amstrad CPC 464
10%
BBC Micro
3%

Total votes: 263

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:08 am

Opa-Opa wrote:This is the same argument that the CPC followers bring up everytime the question of which machine is better comes up.

This is RetroGAMER the question is surely about which machine is the better for gaming. We don't care that you can use a spreadsheet on your CPC or if your Atari/CBM can display a nice static picture.

Which machine do we think has the better GAMES...?
Totally agree, all that techy boring mumbo jumbo above meant nothing to kids back in the 80's, it was who had the best games, who could get all the games taped on a C90 from their mate. Even now years later i just like playing retro games, dont care what one has the most shades of blue etc !

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed May 09, 2007 5:12 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Which machine do we think has the better GAMES...?
c64! 8)
The Master wrote:
oswald wrote:<boobies!>
BOOBIES!!!!

WHAHEY!!!

Just when this thread was starting to get boring... :)
Veronica Zemanova, amirite?

(I'm not pervy, I'm just well-informed... honest!)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 09, 2007 5:20 am

Opa-Opa wrote:This is the same argument that the CPC followers bring up everytime the question of which machine is better comes up.

This is RetroGAMER the question is surely about which machine is the better for gaming. We don't care that you can use a spreadsheet on your CPC or if your Atari/CBM can display a nice static picture.

Which machine do we think has the better GAMES...?
Meh. You're just jealous because you never got to run Supercalc or Multiplan. :P

Seriously, I think that looking at the hardware does tend to illustrate the strengths and weaknesses of each platform. The C64 had hardware sprites and scrolling which made it great for most 2D arcade games. The CPC was great for isometric 3D and racing games because it had graphics modes with fully pixel addressable colour. The BBC was great for vector 3D through sheer CPU power. The Spectrum was a good jack of all trades because of the high ratio of CPU power to graphics RAM.

So, the answer for me has always been that they've all got great individual games that none of the others can quite match up to. The best one is therefore the one you grew up with and used the most.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:29 am

psj3809 wrote:all that techy boring mumbo jumbo above meant nothing to kids back in the 80's
Yes it did. I was acutely aware of the varying tech specs of each system and could see the pros and cons of those.

Being an Oric owner I had to defend my corner somehow ;)

We had decent high res b&w or colour modes, a fair sound chip, just a limited number of games. There was some quality in there though. I still prefer my version of Harrier Attack and Hunchback and have never been able to play anopther Defender as well as I could Defence Force.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 09, 2007 8:04 am

Yeah must admit i'm with you on Harrier Attack, used to play that tons of my mates Oric.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 09, 2007 8:32 am

The Oric was the target of much derision back in the 80s, but technically it's not a bad machine at all given the price band it was aimed at. I guess it just had the bad luck to come onto the market when the Spectrum had gained an overwhelming amount of momentum and never quite sold enough to truly interest the games industry.

Anyway, I'll give it Harrier Attack. It's not the sort of game that's going to turn many arguments though. :)

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed May 09, 2007 10:25 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:all that techy boring mumbo jumbo above meant nothing to kids back in the 80's
Yes it did. I was acutely aware of the varying tech specs of each system and could see the pros and cons of those.

Being an Oric owner I had to defend my corner somehow ;)

We had decent high res b&w or colour modes, a fair sound chip, just a limited number of games. There was some quality in there though. I still prefer my version of Harrier Attack and Hunchback and have never been able to play anopther Defender as well as I could Defence Force.
I didn't own an Oric back in the 80s (zx81, speccy, 130xe, st) but I always liked the look of them. Ideally I'd like the orange and black Atmos, but I bought an original Oric on ebay (no leads etc - just liked the look of it; goes well in the cabinet with the 81 and Speccy)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 am

I own both an original Oric-1 and an Atmos, and I'd have to say I prefer the stylings of the original. Nice clicky keyboard compared to the Speccy fro typing, but retaining a nice feel for games. A neat halfway house between dead flesh and full keyboard.

The Atmos keyboard is a 'proper' keyboard for typing, but its rubbish for games and the red keys look garish.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gury

Post by gury » Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 am

Indeed, this old retro stuff is great.

New atari 8-bit pictures on
http://atari.online.pl/v01/index.phtml? ... ct=nowinki

Very nice!
You are welcome to visit http://gury.atari8.info/

oswald

Post by oswald » Wed May 09, 2007 12:07 pm

gury wrote:Indeed, this old retro stuff is great.

Very nice!
1/3 of them ripped from c64, 1/3 from amiga, 1/3 of pc. the c64 can do better... the c64 rips are quarter the resolution of the original images, and lacing makes them look like 160x200. atari can only show 16 colors in 80x200, while the c64 can do that in 320x200...

might be nice for the atari, would be unbearable on a c64.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed May 09, 2007 12:13 pm

gury wrote:Indeed, this old retro stuff is great.

Very nice!
Thanks Gury, there's some top pictures there, some showing off Atari's wide variety of hues (for an 8 bit machine it's wide ;) )

I'll never forget seeing a digitised photo of a windsurfer using all the colours the Atari could muster - I'd never seen a home machine do this before and the impression it made has stuck with me to this day (sometimes whilst watching a dvd and considering that this is basically an evolution of the technology which I first witnessed on my 130xe)

gury

Post by gury » Wed May 09, 2007 12:13 pm

This is link is not for you Oswald, but for others to check. I didn't request for your opinion and making it inferior again and saying how superior C64 is, which is quite untrue. But that doesn't make sense anyway. This link is just here for others.

Yeah neuromancer, it's fine to see various types of images for Atari.
You are welcome to visit http://gury.atari8.info/

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed May 09, 2007 12:26 pm

gury wrote:This is link is not for you Oswald, but for others to check. I didn't request for your opinion and making it inferior again and saying how superior C64 is, which is quite untrue. But that doesn't make sense anyway. This link is just here for others.

I've checking out an online copy of De Re Atari - it's nice to see how the ANTIC actually works (I'd also like do the same for the VIC-II if anyone can point me in the direction of a good book covering it)

I'm tempted to jump from z80 assembler over to 6502C as the Speccy's screen memory is all over the place!

Pengwin

Post by Pengwin » Wed May 09, 2007 2:06 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I own both an original Oric-1 and an Atmos, and I'd have to say I prefer the stylings of the original. Nice clicky keyboard compared to the Speccy fro typing, but retaining a nice feel for games. A neat halfway house between dead flesh and full keyboard.

The Atmos keyboard is a 'proper' keyboard for typing, but its rubbish for games and the red keys look garish.
The Atmos keyboard was rubbish for games??? Do I sense another argument brewing? :wink:

oswald

Post by oswald » Wed May 09, 2007 2:11 pm

gury wrote:This is link is not for you Oswald, but for others to check. I didn't request for your opinion and making it inferior again and saying how superior C64 is, which is quite untrue. But that doesn't make sense anyway. This link is just here for others.

I have only pointed out that the c64 graphically is superior, which is a fact. Soundwise aswell. :lol: