Atari vs C64 // was: 8-Bit Computer Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best 8-Bit

ZX Spectrum
41%
Commodore 64
46%
Amstrad CPC 464
10%
BBC Micro
3%

Total votes: 263

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue May 08, 2007 12:16 pm

psj3809 wrote:Yeah the tunes and graphics half the time were impressive but i never was personally into demos myself, just games.
Most of it is what the code is doing and to appreciate that you really need a grounding on what the machines can do... and in a few cases, what they can't do. But as a way to discuss which machine is the best they're a much better benchmark than games for a couple of reasons; they push the hardware harder than most games and there's less subjectivity (such as which is more playable, something that really does come down to personal taste) to get in the way.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:24 pm

Agreed. An appreciation of demos is largely an appreciation of the technical skills on show and the limitations of the hardware involved. If you're not technically inclined and have little interest in coding or hardware, demos will be a tad unexciting.

If all you ever did was play games (not that there's anything wrong with that) I can see how you'd find demos dull.

They produced some friendly rivalry between me and my friends, with the Atari ST Vs Amiga demos. Each time one group would find some new technique, it would soon turn up cloned on the other system. Through that we ended up with better games eventually.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

oswald

Post by oswald » Tue May 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Dudley wrote:
oswald wrote: yeah, the c64 is in the guinnes world book as the best selling machine ever probably because the Atari 8-bit was better. Get real man.
Indeed, just like the Toyota Corolla is the greatest car ever made and the best single ever is "Do they know its Christmas" and the best PC game ever is Myst.
c64 being the machine sold the most is a fact.
Toyota being the greatest ca is a an opinion.

so what you have just stated is that "facts are like opinions". maybe you can up with better ?

oswald

Post by oswald » Tue May 08, 2007 12:27 pm

gury wrote:
oswald wrote:still the c64 kixx atari ass :) because ppl bought c64s and not atari 8 bits.
This is childish statement, really. And why then ppl bought Atari 8bit, and not C64? Look around, don't rely on C64 userbase please. The C64 userbase is huge indeed, but Atari has its own dedicated users, which are not few. As for many C64 ppl will not go for Atari, Atari people will never go for C64. I would rather go for ZX Spectrum as the second retro machine of the choice.
more c64s sold = ppl considered c64 better so they bought it. how hard is to see that :?: :?: :?: :?:

gury

Post by gury » Tue May 08, 2007 12:29 pm

Never mind. We here enjoy our retro computers, that counts.

More picture for Atari 8-bit:
http://atari.online.pl/v01/index.phtml? ... ct=nowinki
You are welcome to visit http://gury.atari8.info/

oswald

Post by oswald » Tue May 08, 2007 12:32 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Dudley wrote:
oswald wrote: yeah, the c64 is in the guinnes world book as the best selling machine ever probably because the Atari 8-bit was better. Get real man.
Indeed, just like the Toyota Corolla is the greatest car ever made and the best single ever is "Do they know its Christmas" and the best PC game ever is Myst.

Exactly ! Perhaps Westlife are one of the best bands of all time because of the amount of number 1's they have !

The C64 is a great machine but top sales dont make it the best machine. Its up there at the top though along with the Speccy

At the end of the day practically EVERYONE here is voting for the machine they had as a kid, if i had a C64 for 10 years back in the 80's i would love that number 1, i had a Speccy so i love that. Its all a bit pointless the usual playground arguments.

HOWEVER due to emulation i love trying new systems, enjoy the C64 much more now that i play a fair few games on a C64 emulator. I'm not one of these muppets though who slate a machine and slate a game from just a screenshot and who hasnt even tried it though.
oh how wise, thanx for sparing the "eat censored, 1 billion flys cant be wrong" argument. When it comes to GFX and SOUND the c64 is the best, or can u deny even that ? Please dont put the c64 on the same platform with the speccy, the c64 had proper sound (instead of 1 bit speaker) and proper gfx modes, and sprites (instead of an ass ugly hires screen, which is even smaller in nr of pixels, no doublebuffering no nothing). the c64 was and is simply technically inferior, had more games, sold more unit, in any number it is better.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue May 08, 2007 12:35 pm

oswald wrote: the c64 was and is simply technically inferior, had more games, sold more unit, in any number it is better.
I agree... It was INFERIOR to the Spectrum...

gury

Post by gury » Tue May 08, 2007 12:40 pm

Please stop! Every type of retro computer has its own merits. We enjoy them and it is really pointless here to make other types inferior. Retro, unite! :wink:

oswald

Post by oswald » Tue May 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Pengwin wrote: I feel the Atari was superior in some aspects, particularly the graphics. It also had a better basic language then the C64 and it hit the market 3 years before the C64, in fact 3 years before anything else that could touch it (IMHO).
who cares about your 3 years, how does that atari make a better machine than c64? Eniac is 40 years earlier so is it betteR?

learn your lessons about c64 graphics:

50fps platform game ingame gfx:

oswald

Post by oswald » Tue May 08, 2007 12:56 pm

neuromancer wrote: The fact that the Atari came out c. 3 years earlier means it didn't have as up to date hardware as the c64 (obviously), so what it can do in comparison to the c64 is even more impressive, imho
dont forget that hardware developed much slower back then, in fact when the atari came out the cpu built in was already FOUR years old technology, and 7 years old for the c64. things werent like today. People was happy if they could afford a nice machine at all and they did not care about processing speed or ram or anything much.

oswald

Post by oswald » Tue May 08, 2007 1:03 pm

neuromancer wrote: As I've said there's some very impressive C64 demos showcasing certain effects that are very difficult to match on the Atari - the C64's hardware is newer, and faster (6502C vs 6510 CPU, not to mention customer video and sound chips)
the c64s HW is indeed newer, but the atari cpu runs faster (ask the atari guys, the 6510 does slightly less than 1mhz)

gury

Post by gury » Tue May 08, 2007 1:05 pm

oswald wrote:
neuromancer wrote: The fact that the Atari came out c. 3 years earlier means it didn't have as up to date hardware as the c64 (obviously), so what it can do in comparison to the c64 is even more impressive, imho
dont forget that hardware developed much slower back then, in fact when the atari came out the cpu built in was already FOUR years old technology, and 7 years old for the c64. things werent like today. People was happy if they could afford a nice machine at all and they did not care about processing speed or ram or anything much.
Don't forget Atari CPU is 6502C, 2x faster than Commodore's 6510. Custom chips like ANTIC, GTIA and POKEY make it very fast machine.

gury

Post by gury » Tue May 08, 2007 1:09 pm

Double post!
Last edited by gury on Tue May 08, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oswald

Post by oswald » Tue May 08, 2007 1:10 pm

gury wrote:Never mind. We here enjoy our retro computers, that counts.

More picture for Atari 8-bit:
http://atari.online.pl/v01/index.phtml? ... ct=nowinki
nice conversions. 160x200x16 colors interlaced which means the pictures are unlike on your screenshots 80x200. The c64 can do 16 colors without interlacing. thanx for the chance for a maximally proper compare:

so the c64 can do this:

and the atari this:

picture done on c64 originally.

gury

Post by gury » Tue May 08, 2007 1:14 pm

I will show more Atari 8-bit game screenshots if you like. There are many, many great Atari games, with great graphics and playability. I plan to make a compare library of games made for several computer types. So we will be able to compare easily.