Atari vs C64 // was: 8-Bit Computer Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best 8-Bit

ZX Spectrum
41%
Commodore 64
46%
Amstrad CPC 464
10%
BBC Micro
3%

Total votes: 263

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon May 07, 2007 6:22 am

felgekarp wrote:I've just tried Commando on here as it's a distribution denied game at WOS and I can't be arsed to go and search for it but it seems to scroll pretty smoothly to me. Whether that's down to how it's emulated though I can't say .

http://www.ciunga.it/jxspeccy/arc.html
Oh man, what an awesome resource that is for trying out speccy games. Thanks for the link! And now I've had the chance to try commando, I can throw my hat into the ring with the others who've said it plays well. Seems to move quite smoothly to. Nice one!

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon May 07, 2007 7:08 am

Best 8-BIT? C64! Fact. :lol:

darthy

Post by darthy » Mon May 07, 2007 7:26 am

Ok - played the spectrum version of commando , played well but looked nothing like the arcade version. played the c64 version too as a comparison, played well too and although its blocky its more like the arcade version with fabbo music.
And thats all i was saying, i never said the spectrum version was a crap game just that i thought it looked sod all like the arcade where as the other 2 version do.
Ive never played either of them before so its a fair comparison.
will have a look for the amstrad version now.
aye

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon May 07, 2007 8:07 am

felgekarp wrote:I've just tried Commando on here as it's a distribution denied game at WOS and I can't be arsed to go and search for it but it seems to scroll pretty smoothly to me. Whether that's down to how it's emulated though I can't say .

That's very impressive, and handy for when you're away from your own machine - it's a pretty good emulator, but generally I use Spectaculator for my speccy emulation needs.

If people who don't usually use the Speccy are using this to judge the machine's games then it's worth noting that the jx-speccy emulator isn't 100 per cent faithful in reproducing the advanced techniques which later Speccy games employed. Also, the scrolling is made worse by tearing effects, and certain techniques aren't reproduced at all.

Here's a comparison of Uridium running on JxSpeccy and on Spectaculator. This game manages to break the 'two colours per 8 x 8 square' on the high score table and title screen. This can only be seen on the Spectaculator emulation

Jx-speccy Uridium title screen:

Spectaculator Uridium title screen (the static image doesn't do this justice as the colour bands in the logo smoothly rotate vertically):

Jx-speccy Uridium high score screen:

Spectaculator Uridium high score screen;

gury

Post by gury » Mon May 07, 2007 8:57 am

Kai wrote:Best 8-BIT? C64! Fact. :lol:
Best 8-bit? Atari 8-bit! Fact. :wink:
You are welcome to visit http://gury.atari8.info/

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon May 07, 2007 9:07 am

neuromancer wrote:

That's very impressive, and handy for when you're away from your own machine - it's a pretty good emulator, but generally I use Spectaculator for my speccy emulation needs.

If people who don't usually use the Speccy are using this to judge the machine's games then it's worth noting that the jx-speccy emulator isn't 100 per cent faithful in reproducing the advanced techniques which later Speccy games employed. Also, the scrolling is made worse by tearing effects, and certain techniques aren't reproduced at all.
Your right it's not brilliant, there's a fair few games on there that don't seem to work as well, as I said I only pointed it out due to not being bothered to track Commando down. I don't think I've tried Spectaculator either so I'll give that a whirl as well.
Splink!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon May 07, 2007 9:11 am

felgekarp wrote:
neuromancer wrote:

Your right it's not brilliant, there's a fair few games on there that don't seem to work as well, as I said I only pointed it out due to not being bothered to track Commando down. I don't think I've tried Spectaculator either so I'll give that a whirl as well.
I didn't intend that as a criticism of jx-speccy - it's a great find - very useful at work ;) - rather I felt I should point out the shortcomings as people are becoming fanatical about which machine is best, and I wanted to show the speccy in the best light possible!

I've started a new thread 'ultimate 8 bit demos' to discuss demos (and elements of games) which really push machines to the limit (like the multi-colour effect in Uridium)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 5241#95241

Spectaculator is a commercial emulator, but it's not expensive, and it's well worth the money:

http://www.spectaculator.com/

There's a 30 day trial download available

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon May 07, 2007 9:35 am

I use Spin to emulate the speccy. Is it generally considered to be accurate?

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon May 07, 2007 9:44 am

gury wrote:Best 8-bit? Atari 8-bit! Fact. Wink
Last edited by neuromancer on Mon May 07, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon May 07, 2007 9:45 am

Where's the C16 ??????????
10 PRINT "COMMODORE 16 IS THE BEST 8-BIT MACHINE EVER"
20 GOTO 10
Instead I've opted for the best from the list which is the CPC of course
Ready
RUN"
Press PLAY and then any key:
Loading YOU WILL RESPECT MY CPC block 1
Last edited by woody.cool on Mon May 07, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon May 07, 2007 9:45 am

neuromancer wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
neuromancer wrote: That's very impressive, and handy for when you're away from your own machine - it's a pretty good emulator, but generally I use Spectaculator for my speccy emulation needs.

I didn't intend that as a criticism of jx-speccy - it's a great find - very useful at work ;) - rather I felt I should point out the shortcomings as people are becoming fanatical about which machine is best, and I wanted to show the speccy in the best light possible!

I've started a new thread 'ultimate 8 bit demos' to discuss demos (and elements of games) which really push machines to the limit (like the multi-colour effect in Uridium)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 5241#95241

Spectaculator is a commercial emulator, but it's not expensive, and it's well worth the money:

http://www.spectaculator.com/

There's a 30 day trial download available
I was just concurring with you that's all, it is good for use at work, the only problem being my laptop's developed a problem of either the fan really kicking in or the hard drive whirring to the max when I use any Java stuff,so I can't really pretend I'm doing any work when I'm using stuff like that :D

I've just downloaded Spectaculator, seems really good, I've had to alter some of the settings to get some games to work on other emulators but not with this one.
Splink!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon May 07, 2007 9:47 am

felgekarp wrote: I've just downloaded Spectaculator, seems really good, I've had to alter some of the settings to get some games to work on other emulators but not with this one.
It's probably the best speccy emu out there (it was recommended to me by a huge Speccy fan)

For a moment there it looked like we were entering a bought of 'aggressively agreeing'!

BTW, are you fgkarp on JSWO?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 am

neuromancer wrote:
felgekarp wrote: I've just downloaded Spectaculator, seems really good, I've had to alter some of the settings to get some games to work on other emulators but not with this one.
It's probably the best speccy emu out there (it was recommended to me by a huge Speccy fan)

For a moment there it looked like we were entering a bought of 'aggressively agreeing'!

BTW, are you fgkarp on JSWO?
Yep, that's me. I couldn't think of another name to use :D
Splink!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon May 07, 2007 11:08 am

felgekarp wrote: Yep, that's me. I couldn't think of another name to use :D
That 8 character limit is a pain - couldn't use my forum name in full either!

gury

Post by gury » Mon May 07, 2007 12:05 pm

Thx neuromancer, you are welcome to visit my site anytime. Which Atari do you own? I have 130XE with SIO2PC installed and 1050 disk drive. I will go for more stuff soon, I want to join all Atari collectors worldwide :o
You are welcome to visit http://gury.atari8.info/