Atari vs C64 // was: 8-Bit Computer Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best 8-Bit

ZX Spectrum
41%
Commodore 64
46%
Amstrad CPC 464
10%
BBC Micro
3%

Total votes: 263

darthy

Post by darthy » Sun May 06, 2007 1:54 pm

sorry but looking at the screenshots the spectrum version looks the worst by a mile.

the c64 version looks far better
aye

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun May 06, 2007 2:00 pm

darthy wrote:sorry but looking at the screenshots the spectrum version looks the worst by a mile.

the c64 version looks far better

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This statment so funny my sides are hurting but it still is painfull to see that people are judging games on how they look..

It's like judging which flavor of Ice-cream is better tasting because of the colour...

darthy

Post by darthy » Sun May 06, 2007 4:24 pm

i was just going by what he said -

" This is how to make a great arcade game into a great computer game. The graphics are superb and are much closer to the arcades cartoony look."

iam a bbc man so its not like iam saying it for the sake of it . the spectrum version looks nothing like the arcade, the c64 and amstrad versions look more like it.
aye

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:26 pm

The Speccy version plays just like the arcade, I cant comment on the C64 version. Playability takes it for me
Watching you sleep since 1990

darthy

Post by darthy » Sun May 06, 2007 4:36 pm

playability you could well be right and i am not saying its crap, but graphics wise - meh.
aye

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:55 pm

But on comparison you have to take into affect that Sinclair didnt strive for Graphics
Watching you sleep since 1990

darthy

Post by darthy » Sun May 06, 2007 5:05 pm

the spectrum has some great looking games so i think thats a bit wrong, i just dont think commando is one of them.

knightlore,head over heals etc look great.
aye

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun May 06, 2007 5:24 pm

darthy wrote:playability you could well be right and i am not saying its crap, but graphics wise - meh.
The graphics in Space Invaders are almost as basic as you can get but it's the playability that made the game so popular. I still find myself playing this and I return to it every now and then.

darthy

Post by darthy » Sun May 06, 2007 5:34 pm

me too, all i was saying is that i didnt agree that the spectrum version had great gfx and personaly i dont think it looks anything like the arcade, thats all.

plenty of games i love look basic as hell ;) and i know good gfx dont make a good game.
aye

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun May 06, 2007 7:07 pm

I'll side with Darthy here. As I said earlier, the speccy version of Commando is indeed a very good game - but the graphics are pretty pants! I prefer the look of the C64 version. Gameplay wise the C64 version is not as good as the Speccy though.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon May 07, 2007 12:36 am

Graz wrote:...Also, here's a much more contructive view of Commando
SirClive wrote: COMMODORE
Although the graphics are still a blocky mess, at least they are recognisable as Commando and the colour scheme is a bit better (though far from good).

SPECTRUM
The graphics are superb and are much closer to the arcades cartoony look. The playfield seems large, even though the characters are bigger than in other versions. Obviously the colours are unrealistic, but make the best of a very limited palette.
Somehow I don't think that's an entirely objective point of view we're getting from Sir Clive there when it comes to his assessment of the graphics. It seems to me that a lot of speccy fans become extremely fussy when they view c64 graphics, and then extremely forgiving when they turn their eye to the speccy's visuals.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:06 am

If people got off their backside and actually tried the Speccy version of Commando they'll realise its playable as hell and an excellent conversion.

If your gonna talk the talk and slate it then at least try it. Whats ridiculous is that a few certain people are slating it because of the screenshot yet have never actually played the game !

Anti-retro gamers will see a ton of screenshots and laugh, if they actually played any of these games, be it Atari VCS, C64, Speccy, NES, Gameboy Mono, they'll realise theres a ton of great games out there.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 07, 2007 5:10 am

You can't possibly judge graphics from a screen shot - graphics aren't only about how well defined the on-screen objects are , but also about how well they move.The Speccy had some of the smoothest animation of sprites of the 8bits .

Even some C64 games which look a blocky mess when freeze-framed , completely change complexion whilst playing (Leaderboard is a classic example)

I mean , just look at Price of Persia on Amiga - from a screenshot the graphics look very poor , yet in play they transform into beatiully fluid animation
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon May 07, 2007 5:33 am

psj3809 wrote:If people got off their backside and actually tried the Speccy version of Commando they'll realise its playable as hell and an excellent conversion.

If your gonna talk the talk and slate it then at least try it. Whats ridiculous is that a few certain people are slating it because of the screenshot yet have never actually played the game !
For my part, I don't believe I even commented on the playability of the game. I wanted to give it a go, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
paranoid marvin wrote:You can't possibly judge graphics from a screen shot - graphics aren't only about how well defined the on-screen objects are , but also about how well they move.The Speccy had some of the smoothest animation of sprites of the 8bits
Maybe I should try some different speccy emulators, cos so far most of the games I've tried don't move anywhere near as smoothly as another 8 bit machine I dare not mention.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon May 07, 2007 6:00 am

I've just tried Commando on here as it's a distribution denied game at WOS and I can't be arsed to go and search for it but it seems to scroll pretty smoothly to me. Whether that's down to how it's emulated though I can't say .

http://www.ciunga.it/jxspeccy/arc.html
Splink!