Atari vs C64 // was: 8-Bit Computer Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Best 8-Bit

ZX Spectrum
109
41%
Commodore 64
121
46%
Amstrad CPC 464
25
10%
BBC Micro
8
3%
 
Total votes: 263

User avatar
The Penultimate Ninja
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:49 am
Location: Birmingham

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:28 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I think it would be a shame to lock the thread, is all.
90 - 100 pages ago I might have agreed. ;)
Image

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:52 am

Last few pages have resorted to personal insults and really out of order comments (race). Whilst I was not a fan of the tech stuff, I accepted that those who were into it found it useful. I would suggest that it stays open until the next insult / offensive comment and then it should be gone.........
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
Emperor Fossil
Posts: 1705
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Already rockin the Christmas cap, WOOOOH!

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:51 am

To be fair the so-called 'race' comment wasn't attacking anyone on the basis of his or her race, and nor was it calling anyone a racist.

Oswald was basically claiming that to make unfair generalisations about c64 coders as a whole was as illogical as the act of making unfair generalisations about people based on race.

Whether this was an overstatement is arguable, and it's true that it was a provocative response, but let's not fan the fire by blowing his comment out of proportion.

And, you know, the thread hasn't actually been Godwined yet, so that's something.

Heaven6502
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 3:39 pm

Post by Heaven6502 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 am

totally agree. please guys...dont get it too seriously... its a f...g hobby.

Emperor Fossil wrote:To be fair the so-called 'race' comment wasn't attacking anyone on the basis of his or her race, and nor was it calling anyone a racist.

Oswald was basically claiming that to make unfair generalisations about c64 coders as a whole was as illogical as the act of making unfair generalisations about people based on race.

Whether this was an overstatement is arguable, and it's true that it was a provocative response, but let's not fan the fire by blowing his comment out of proportion.

And, you know, the thread hasn't actually been Godwined yet, so that's something.
Heaven/Taquart
Atari 2600,800XL,130XE,7800,C64II,Atari STe,Amiga 1200,PC,SNES,GB(A),NDS,GC,XBOX,Dreamcast,PSone,PS2,Lynx

emkay
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 5:22 am

Post by emkay » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:30 pm

TMR wrote: And so is Dropzone on the A8 so that, logically, must look "odd" as well.

With quite a difference:
Drozone uses the charmode as character-clusters. Every object uses them as small "graphicsscreens". Games like Outrun on the C64 and Space Harrier use full charset spread movement.

User avatar
TMR
Posts: 5756
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: Leeds, U.K.
Contact:

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:45 pm

emkay wrote:
TMR wrote: And so is Dropzone on the A8 so that, logically, must look "odd" as well.

With quite a difference
And that's the problem with sweeping statements, they rarely make any sense or serve any purpose.

User avatar
The Penultimate Ninja
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:49 am
Location: Birmingham

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:provocative response, but let's not fan the fire by blowing his comment out of proportion.
Don't think anyone was getting upset over it, rather than stunned at the sheer idiocy of it.
Image

oswald
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:55 am

Post by oswald » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:02 pm

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:
Emperor Fossil wrote:provocative response, but let's not fan the fire by blowing his comment out of proportion.
Don't think anyone was getting upset over it, rather than stunned at the sheer idiocy of it.
just as idiotic as saying that coders were too dumb to use more than 16 colors or 8 sprites on the amiga, just because they were coming from the c64.

craig, you should close this thread now, all I see to come is personal insults.

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Well as there is no real discussion anymore, I am going to close it.
Image

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest