Atari vs C64 // was: 8-Bit Computer Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best 8-Bit

ZX Spectrum
41%
Commodore 64
46%
Amstrad CPC 464
10%
BBC Micro
3%

Total votes: 263

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat May 05, 2007 9:19 am

markstclair2010 wrote: The only 8-bit system that is "better for games" than the C64 is the Sega MS (since it was developed in the late 80s using the latest technology).
October 1985 is the "Late 80s"?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat May 05, 2007 9:21 am

Hmmm - interesting. I always thought the playground arguments were Speccy V C64 V Amstrad.....

But now the Atari has jumped onboard for a fight :lol:

Quite obviously though, the C64 was indeed the far better machine :wink:

But thats only my opinion - and having a memory of using my C64 and my best mates Speccy.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sat May 05, 2007 9:36 am

markopoloman wrote:Hmmm - interesting. I always thought the playground arguments were Speccy V C64 V Amstrad.....

But thats only my opinion - and having a memory of using my C64 and my best mates Speccy.
For a bit of variety can we start an 'Atari ST vs Amiga' 'debate'?
I moved from a ZX81 to speccy to atari 8bit to ST. The ST wasn't what I'd expected (although I should've known what I was getting given the amount of computer magazines I used to get through)

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sat May 05, 2007 9:54 am

oswald wrote:
Graz wrote:Some nice static images, but that seems to be about it.
not those are ingame shot of many 50fps games. maybe show something similar your machine can do instead of telling us stories about your imaginary c64 friend. but you will fail to do that.
I don't think he's talking about your shots, considering that no one can see them.

gury

Post by gury » Sat May 05, 2007 10:04 am

markopoloman wrote:Hmmm - interesting. I always thought the playground arguments were Speccy V C64 V Amstrad.....

Hi markopoloman,

Yes indeed. Atari 8-bit is greatest rival of C64 because of similar features.
You are welcome to visit http://gury.atari8.info/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat May 05, 2007 10:08 am

When I was first getting into computers, I had a female ;) mate with an Atari (cant remember what one though - I think it was a 400 or something) but she soon upgraded to a C64 once she'd had a play with mine. She also like my C64 :lol:

gury

Post by gury » Sat May 05, 2007 10:11 am

neuromancer wrote:
dr_bob wrote: Also if you ever get a chance - check out the "drunk chessboard" demo - its as far as I'm aware run on a bog standard atari 800, and has some awesome 3d etc effects.
Drunk Chessboard is a really impressive piece of coding. It's one of the demos I alluded to in an earlier post - I was blown away by it when a colleague introduced it to me a couple of years ago.
Yep, and there are many more great demos put into 64K. Atari is a charm to program in!
You are welcome to visit http://gury.atari8.info/

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sat May 05, 2007 12:52 pm

gury wrote:
neuromancer wrote:
dr_bob wrote: Also if you ever get a chance - check out the "drunk chessboard" demo - its as far as I'm aware run on a bog standard atari 800, and has some awesome 3d etc effects.
Drunk Chessboard is a really impressive piece of coding. It's one of the demos I alluded to in an earlier post - I was blown away by it when a colleague introduced it to me a couple of years ago.
Yep, and there are many more great demos put into 64K. Atari is a charm to program in!
The Tarquart 'Numen' demo is astounding, covering a wide range of effects including 256 colour screens, filled 3d environments, real-time 3d texture maps, lightsourcing, real-time reflection / distortion - even the rubic's cube is great (low res, yes, great, yes) etc

The Tight - TotalDaze demo features many similar effects, used in different ways. Some nice lightsourcing, gourad shading and polygon manipulations

Voice of Silence is a great demonstration of stereo sound using twin Pokeys - a selection of excellent tunes showing what the little chip can do. Whether or not it's a capable as a SID techincally, it can still bang out a great tune.

Along with Drunk Chessboard (great tune, great hi-res plasma 256 colour effects, multiple playfields, distortions and so on) they are some of my favourite Atari demos - I'd welcome suggestions of others to check out!

and who could forget: FujiBoink - timeless, bouncing Atari (fuji) logo with the classic Antic DLI rolling colours

By the way, as I said before I'm not offering any of this up as evidence that the Atari is 'better' than any other machine, and yes, many of them use expanded hardware - I'm just highlighting some feats of coding which amaze me to this day as an old 8bit hand...

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat May 05, 2007 4:32 pm

gury wrote:Yep, and there are many more great demos put into 64K. Atari is a charm to program in!
Have you programmed the C64 to any serious extent to compare...?

To my mind it's actually more difficult to work with compared to the C64, certainly for 2D stuff. Hardware assitance like WSYNC, the display list and DLI make things easier to start with to a degree because you don't have to learn things like cycle timing right at the beginning to get something smooth and glitch free, but the moment you realise you want to put six sprite objects on a scanline with three colours each and the hardware is only going to give you two...

For example, look at Bruce Lee, great game on both platforms but you can tell it was designed around the A8 hardware because it's maxing out the players; two for Bruce himself, two for Yamo and all four missiles working in tandem for the Ninja and they all have free movement and can be on the same scanline. The C64 port is identical bar the luminances of the colours, but it's using less than half of the hardware sprites to do the same job and probably about a third of the CPU grunt for graphics shifting since one register needs changing to move each sprite vertically rather than clearing and writing to all five players each frame.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sat May 05, 2007 6:16 pm

For quality of build, versatility and giving birth to Elite I'd say Beeb.

For overall average quality per game and sound I'd say C64.

But overall I'd have to say grudgingly the Speccy for struggling against the odds, (less ram than C64, atrocious sound quality and colour clash), and for the sheer number of excellent games.

You forgot to put the Sord M5 on the list surely!
'What's a Ftoomch?'

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sat May 05, 2007 8:21 pm

neuromancer wrote:No wonder I was confused! I've played the Arc Elite using RedSquirrel, but didn't get far as the emu was too unstable (at least on my laptop) - looked very good though, and fast.

One of the biggest disappoints I can recall when purchasing software was the Atari ST version of Elite - the combat was totally ruined; ships on the 'horizon' were emphasised an overly-large filled circles; the dog-fighting that characterised the game was effectively removed. I was distraught for some time!

According the the Retro Gamer article Arc Elite was the 'best' version...

...But I love the Speccy variant (48k, original)
Just a thought, have you played Elite-A?

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sat May 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Utini wrote:Did any of you guys own/do you own a BBC Compact? I remember seeing it advertised in Watford Electronics and thinking it looked the bees knees. As I remember it, it had some kind of GUI interface - was it GEM?
No it wasn't GEM. It was Acorn's own GUI. Probably a forerunner of the GUI found on the RISC OS machines.

Look here (if it works). Image

Arjun

Post by Arjun » Sun May 06, 2007 4:20 am

Blimey. Had to register just so I could vote for the speccy! Looking at the votes I would say it's as close to a 50-50 as you'll get between the 2 platforms!

oswald

Post by oswald » Sun May 06, 2007 4:44 am

Arjun wrote:Blimey. Had to register just so I could vote for the speccy! Looking at the votes I would say it's as close to a 50-50 as you'll get between the 2 platforms!
thats only because the majority of c64 fans doesnt really give a censored about this poll. :)

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Sun May 06, 2007 6:20 am

Well, this was a tough one. I owned both the Speccy & the C64 (still do) and they both got equal amounts of playtime. I've gone for the good old ZX though mainly because it was the first computer I owned. In the same way that you always have a soft spot for your first girlfriend (or boyfriend, I'm not making assumptions) the Spectrum will always be special to me. Let me be clear though, I'm not saying that my first girlfriend was a Spectrum. Or any sort of electrical device! :D