Page 12 of 145

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:09 pm
by gury
Hmm, apologize accepted. Back to Atari...

Pokey chip is good enough to manage complex sound and tunes. If you never heard best Atari tunes, then do so. You are really making no sense saying everything on atari unusable, which is quite untrue. We will not go through all the features, because many threads exist to this topic. These two machines are equal/similar in features and powers, one outperforming another in different things.

I will post interesting links here, of course. And I will also show you many games, which are better on Atari then Commodore 64.

For now, again:
http://g2f.atari8.info/gallery.html

This will follow with other interesting links.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:14 pm
by Mace[SEC]
Oswald, I admire your knowledge of the Commodore 64. :wink:
And I love the way to spread the word to the World.

Amen! Hallelujah! :twisted:
Commodore for life.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:02 pm
by mermaid
gury wrote:For now, again:
http://g2f.atari8.info/gallery.html
I'm not sure what that is meant to prove, but I do see some converted c64 pics, one of them is mine and both the C64 version and the Atari conversion sucks, nothing special about the pics in that gallery.

Can your Atari display pics like these?

ImageImage
ImageImage

And Oswaldbogár, I hate you for sucking me into another pointless thread! But who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at you <3

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:07 pm
by oswald
gury wrote:Hmm, apologize accepted. Back to Atari...

Pokey chip is good enough to manage complex sound and tunes. If you never heard best Atari tunes, then do so. You are really making no sense saying everything on atari unusable, which is quite untrue. We will not go through all the features, because many threads exist to this topic. These two machines are equal/similar in features and powers, one outperforming another in different things.

I will post interesting links here, of course. And I will also show you many games, which are better on Atari then Commodore 64.

For now, again:
http://g2f.atari8.info/gallery.html

This will follow with other interesting links.
I dont say the pokey is unusable, and have heard some nice tunes in atari demos, but clearly the sid is better.

The antic chip has nice features, but either you have high resolution and not much colors, or you have low reso with lot of colors... not the best compromise. Sprites are much better on vic unquestionably.


nice gallery, some things to note:

-I have found that handful of pics was converted from c64.
-you can only do 8 colors in 160x200, the c64 can do 16 in hardware mode 160x200, and 16 in software mode (no lace) 320x200.
- there's a lack of gfx artist on the atari scene, even with 8cols in 160x200 much better ones could be done.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:22 pm
by gury
O hello neuromancer, I didn't say hello yet :)

---------------------------------------------------------

Now I will show you some interesting things, not just powers of Atari 8-bit computers, but the facts and impact of these little miracle machines.

Star Raiders got honoured. Such a game is simply impossible on C64, because of lack of speed. Atari has all it needs. From now on A8 = 8-bit Atari

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... ar+raiders

First, we will go back in the past. Which games are famous platform and maze games? Donkey Kong, Popeye, Miner 2049ER, Pacman... The best ports were made for A8, Ms. Pacman is the best example:

http://www.videogamecritic.net/xemz.htm#Ms._Pac-Man
http://www.videogamecritic.net/xe.htm

Do you know Ballblazer? A8 version is the best.

Damn, I love Atari!!!

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:28 pm
by gury
And those pictures you show, it proves nothing. Atari can do better.

http://atari.online.pl/v01/index.phtml? ... ct=nowinki

Atari has good selection of colors to choose from. C64 even doesn't have red!

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:38 pm
by Mace[SEC]
Gury, I can't say I like any of those pictures better than Mermaid's work.
On top of that, most of 'm look like converted from photo instead of the original handpixeling.

[edit]oh, I noticed the Atari having blue... it's all over those pics!

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:46 pm
by mermaid
gury wrote:And those pictures you show, it proves nothing. Atari can do better.

http://atari.online.pl/v01/index.phtml? ... ct=nowinki

Atari has good selection of colors to choose from. C64 even doesn't have red!
Omg, shitty converted lowres pics with horrible colour clash...that is the best you can come up with?
Wait, could it be because the Atari 8 bit doesn't have a big enough user base to come up with some real artists?
Your Atari could have a million colours to chose from, and it still wouldn't be able to utilize them as well as the C64 does.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:47 pm
by oswald
gury wrote:And those pictures you show, it proves nothing. Atari can do better.

http://atari.online.pl/v01/index.phtml? ... ct=nowinki

Atari has good selection of colors to choose from. C64 even doesn't have red!
that mode in reality is something like 80x200, leaving every 2nd line black. not really close to 320x200x16.

fact is c64 was the best 8bitter, you fail to prove me wrong in numbers like demos/games / userbase / picture quality/ lifespan/ more new hw/etc...

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:51 pm
by gury
O, I see, C64 people. I have so much links to show, but I will put it on hold, because I am the only one Atarian actively (for 2 days) here and I will step down. Actually I have more links for pics and great demos, but I would make C64 inferior machine and I don't like to make people depressive.

About the games... Atari wins big! And as I said before, the numbers doesn't count (userbase, commercial games, demos...) The community counts... And Atari scene is very alive and kicking!

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:10 pm
by mermaid
gury wrote:O, I see, C64 people. I have so much links to show, but I will put it on hold, because I am the only one Atarian actively (for 2 days) here and I will step down. Actually I have more links for pics and great demos, but I would make C64 inferior machine and I don't like to make people depressive.
ROFL
gury wrote:And as I said before, the numbers doesn't count (userbase, commercial games, demos...) The community counts... And Atari scene is very alive and kicking!
Alive and kicking? I can see that, since you have to link to a gallery with converted C64 (!) pictures and a gallery with converted photos to show off the awesomeness of Atari 8bit graphics.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:20 pm
by Matt_B
If you want some evidence that the Atari 8-bit scene is very much alive and kicking, have a look at this Spectrum emulator that was recently written for the machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksoIdQ-p910

I think that's worth a few brown pictures, eh? :)

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:50 pm
by necronom
gury wrote:C64 even doesn't have red!

Yes it does.


Image

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:13 pm
by andrew_rollings
necronom wrote:
gury wrote:C64 even doesn't have red!

Yes it does.


Image

where?
;)

Andrew

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:30 pm
by thealgorithm
Ahemmm.. I think if you follow this link, you will indeed see what the C64 is capable of.. I would be interested in seeing anything on any other 8 bit which has the flexibility of these types of graphic modes..

http://www.naveedkhugiani.com/articles/ ... xmodes.htm