Your game hypes?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

David

Re: Your game hypes?

Post by David » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:46 pm

only two spring to mind that I have genuinely been hyped waiting in their release

mortal kombat 2 megadrive - totally lived up to the hype

showdown legends of wrestling ps2 - probably the game I have looked forward to most ever, and it was awful

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:42 pm

I really wanted Mortal Kombat 2 so I picked up a few mags to see which version looked better (SNES or MD) and I think the SNES seemed to edge it so I bought one. That was a game I was hyped for.

Pointman

Post by Pointman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:45 pm

Basically anything that was shown in Mean Machines, especially the Streetfighter 2 review (dem screenshots) and the amazing Super Famicom preview that was in Issue 5 I believe. There has never been a magazine like it since.
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:21 am

After loving Commando on the Speccy i couldnt wait to play Ikari Warriors. Seemed to have everything i wanted, different weapons and powerups, 2 player (!), you could 'swim' and get into a tank etc.

I remember playing that one level demo they had on cassette in some magazine TONS. Played that same level over and over, loved how it played so i couldnt wait to get the full game. Bought that asap it was out

Been quite a few iOS games i've been excited about getting and marked them in the calender when they were going to be released.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:51 am

Fallout 3 - wow did I get hyped over that game
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:01 am

MattyC64c wrote: I would happily step in to a Cryo-Stasis chamber and be put into suspended animation until 10 November.
Be careful, that didn't work out too well for Cartman in South Park when he was waiting for the Wii to be released!

I can't remember any particularly difficult waits for release dates, but I do remember warning my girlfriend before each Batman Arkham game that for the next few months she's going to have to get used to seeing a lot of Gotham City, and a lot of anonymous thugs getting beat down. I just had to preorder those and play them immediately.

Being a big Alien fan, I did preorder Aliens: Colonial Marines and was very excited about it, until I started reading early reviews! Luckily I was able to cancel that one and dodge a bullet, despite my previous hype!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:23 am

psj3809 wrote:After loving Commando on the Speccy i couldnt wait to play Ikari Warriors. Seemed to have everything i wanted, different weapons and powerups, 2 player (!), you could 'swim' and get into a tank etc.

I remember playing that one level demo they had on cassette in some magazine TONS. Played that same level over and over, loved how it played so i couldnt wait to get the full game. Bought that asap it was out

Been quite a few iOS games i've been excited about getting and marked them in the calender when they were going to be released.
I played that demo to death too. Oddly the full game didn't really do it for me though. Not sure why. I was the same with Chase HQ too. It was like the demo was enough. Very odd.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:18 pm

There was an isometric game construction kit called '3D Game Maker' announced for the ZX Spectrum by CRL in November '86. It was set to be the most amazing game-creator tool ever (barring YS's April fool one), and I kept trying to order it. I gave up after a while. It finally got a release early in 1988 and was, by all accounts, a bit naff. I think I might have had an ST by then...

I do actually own an original tape copy now, but have never actually tried it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:09 pm

joefish wrote:There was an isometric game construction kit called '3D Game Maker' announced for the ZX Spectrum by CRL in November '86. It was set to be the most amazing game-creator tool ever (barring YS's April fool one), and I kept trying to order it. I gave up after a while. It finally got a release early in 1988 and was, by all accounts, a bit naff. I think I might have had an ST by then...

I do actually own an original tape copy now, but have never actually tried it.
There was one on pc and it was fun but very limited they did a delux version but it was still more like a custom level make though it had a very early face mapping in it to use photos as faces on npcs ect
This guy are sick

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:34 pm

Halo 2, went to the midnight launch of this, awesome.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:32 am

In somewhat recent years, the only things I ever got hyped about were.... well I cant remember much. There sure as heck werent many. Splatoon and Mario Maker were the first since Binding of Isaac: Rebirth came out, and before THAT was.... er.... probably just my import shmups. Anything else would have probably been at least a decade ago. My interest in mainstream games generally went way, way too low to get "hyped" about things. For non-mainstream games, I typically find out about them and then immediately get to play them (either in-development, or because they suddenly released and thus I heard about them), so there's little hyping to be done there. It's hard to call a 30 second wait for a download a period of "being hyped".

Right now, mostly looking forward to Isaac's Afterbirth expansion, and the new Anno (ABOUT BLOODY TIME). Other than that there's nothing interesting releasing for the next few months that I know of.