Your game hypes?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MattyC64c

Your game hypes?

Post by MattyC64c » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:17 pm

At the moment I'm really looking forward to Fallout 4 and I mean really, really looking forward to it. I'm so hyped for this game, that if it was possible, I would happily step in to a Cryo-Stasis chamber and be put into suspended animation until 10 November. Okay, maybe that's going a little too far. But man I can't wait. I'll probably play this game, and only this game for rest of 2015 and well into 2016.

Anyway, talking about looking forward to games and getting a little 'hyped'. Are you looking forward to anything this year? And since this a retro gaming forum, what games from the past couldn't you just not wait to play?

Most games I will happily wait for, but some are gonna be so good you just can't. Some of mine were:

Operation Wolf on the C64 - Probably the best 8-bit conversion IMHO.
Streets of Rage
Street Fighter 2 on the Mega Drive.
Streets of Rage 2
Civilization on the Amiga 500
Cannon Fodder
X-Wing - This had been out a while before I could gather up enough cash for my first PC to play it at home!
Doom II
Civilization II
Gran Turismo
Wing Commander III
Medal of Honour (PC)
Call of Duty (PC)
GTA III
GTA San Andreas (PC Version)
Call of Duty II (Xbox 360)
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Skyrim

Mancman

Re: Your game hypes?

Post by Mancman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Thinking back through the many years, Robocop on my CPC comes to mind. I mail ordered it and when It arrived it failed to load, oh the pain.

Also Elite 2 Frontiers on the Amiga was another one. I remember reading the print of the mags it was previewed in. None of this internet nonsense these kids have nowadays with information overload. You savoured every titbit of information and every screenshot that was handed to you once a month.

Don't get hyped much nowadays as it ususally ends up in dissapointment, most recently Star Wars The Old Republic. I followed that game from the begining, I mean years before release and was so disappointed with the beta I didn't even buy the game.

Looking forward to Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, Uncharted 4 and Just Cause 3.....a little bit.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:41 pm

I can't remember being hyped for anything back in the day. I guess, before the internet, I just didn't hear about upcoming releases. The most you got was a page or two a month in a magazine. I remember seeing a single screenshot of Super Empire Strikes Back and immediately getting hyped for it. The same for Jurassic Park (both on the SNES).

That gradually changed though. By the last generation, the hype machine was out of control. I was desperate to get my hands on the first Assasins Creed. What a disappointment that turned out to be.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:54 pm

The big one for me was Sonic 2, can still remember the 'Sonic Tuesday' hype back then. And it wasn't a disappointment either when I got my mitts on it! :) Think it's far too easy to be all po-faced and cynical and expect constant let downs, far more fun to have a little optimism and get hype.

Games I'm looking forward to...
Fallout 4
Doom
Final Fantasy XV
Tekken 7
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Disgaea 5
Project Diva X

Game I'm most excited about though is No Man's Sky

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:24 pm

Resident Evil 5 was my most anticipated game. Because RE4 blew me away completely, became my all-time favourite game and hearing there would be an RE5 gave me feelings almost akin to pre-Christmas as a kid. Of course the eventual game was a huge letdown.

Doom 3. And an hour in to the game I was so spellbound as it almost lived up to the hype due to its amazing atmosphere but it just never really satisfied in the end.

Mafia 2. Rubbish compared to the first instalment, although now I am looking forward to Mafia 3 and it is looking quite nifty.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Summer Games II on the C64 I remember being excited about after seeing pics in Zzap.

Frontier on the Amiga, as I'd previously become 'Elite' on the Amiga, so was excited about the next one.

MGS 2 onwards, since the first one was one of the most amazing things I'd ever played.

GTA Vice City onwards, as GTA III was another leap forward in what was possible.

Any Alien or Terminator related games, as those are my two favourite film franchises.

Probably a lot of others, but those spring to mind.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:53 am

ncf1 wrote:Doom 3. And an hour in to the game I was so spellbound as it almost lived up to the hype due to its amazing atmosphere but it just never really satisfied in the end.
Doom 3 was the game that got me back into PC gaming. I gave up on Windows after 98 (switched to Mac). (re-)Learning all the ins and outs of the latest motherboards and chipsets and GPUs. Sadly, I got a little overexcited and ordered the PC well before Doom 3 came out. It turned out I didn't have enough RAM on my graphics card to run it at High. It was loads of fun speccing out the gaming PC though.

As for the game, I loved it. It may not have been Doom, but it was a great haunted house simulator.

I'm still a Mac user and a PC gamer, but not really a Mac gamer (unless you count Steam Home Streaming).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:41 am

Really looking forward to Street Fighter V but moreso, Namco's Tekken X Street Fighter which will be fascinating to see when they finally show it off.

Interested in a lot of other titles but not to the degree where I'm constantly following their progress or thinking about them.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:47 am

Megadrive
Sonic 2 - Of course massively hyped up, me and my mates completed it in a few hours on launch day.
Streets Of Rage 2 - Seeing blurry shots in mags at the time made me wet in anticipation!

PS1
Need For Speed - after seeing the 3DO version, this couldnt come soon enough!
Wipeout - THE game that made the Playstation cool and trotting down to the Sony centre on launch day was the most exciting gaming day in history for me!
Destruction Derby - Delayed a month from launch, seeing shots of this in early 1995 blew my mind
Tomb Raider - yes it came after Mario 64, but the whole vibe of proper 3D exploration at the time was huge!

Saturn
Virtua Racing - after skipping the 32X i had high hopes the Saturn could pull off a perfect arcade version...until they handed it to Time Warner to f up!

Gamecube
Waverace Blue Storm - After the masterpiece that was Waverace on the N64 i bought a Gamecube just for this and the Jp version of Pro Evo, this was one the biggest let downs ever in terms of sequels!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Sonic, Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Super Mario Kart, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, GoldenEye 007, Banjo-Kazooie, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64, LoZ: Majora's Mask, Quake 3 Arena, Black & White, Sacrifice, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, "Mario 128", "Zelda 128", Star Wars: Rogue Leader, Soul Calibur 2, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.

Most of the games I still enjoy today, but there's many I had no hype for but found to like them a lot.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:38 pm

For now, deffo Battlefront Star Wars thing, looks sooo good except the inevitable 10GB day one patch! ;) my only purchase in November.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:31 pm

All the gta games from gta 3 onwards...

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Tony hawk games always hype me up only 2 disapointed ride and shred but the rest i loved though the 360 version of wasteland was just an upscale of the ps2 version where as there were huge diffrences between thps 3 on ps1 and ps2. I got hyped for blood bowl 2 but as much as its amazing i still want bb1 to be playable on xb1.

I was so hyped for titanfall and it wowed me on 360 but looked even better on xb1.

mkx was a let down due to the awefull kombat pass dlc plan
This guy are sick

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:53 pm

Quake - looked like a massive step up from Doom and Duke Nukem, yet I did find myself a little disappointed with the level design and weapons. The sequel was awesome though.

Theme Park and Syndicate on the SNES - couldn't wait for the chance to play these PC conversions, but age I didn't really understand that it didn't really have the power to replicate them so was somewhat disappointed at the end result

Gran Turismo - looked like nothing I'd seen before, was absolutely awesome

FF7 - see above

FF8 - I liked the more realistic art style and really enjoyed it, although not quite as much as 7

Resident Evil 2 - at the time I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping to have a whole city to explore, but didn't take me long to appreciate how good it was

Rage - hoped it would be as revolutionary as Doom or Quake were but it wasn't to be. Still a decent game though, even if they seemingly forgot to program a final level

Fallout 4 - can't wait, looks awesome. But the chances of it being buggy or broken on launch is pretty high

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:46 pm

One Immediately leaps into the mind...PS1 MGS. For PAL of course. Delayed to epic proportions, finally gave up waiting and got the PS1 modchipped :lol: