Best 16-bit Machine?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

What is your favourite?

PC Engine/TurboGrafx
2%
DOS PC
3%
Super Nintendo/Famicom
25%
Commodore Amiga
33%
Atari Lynx
1%
Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
24%
Apple Mac
No votes
SNK Neo Geo
3%
Atari ST
3%
Other?
5%

Total votes: 88

Mayhem

Re: Best 16-bit Machine?

Post by Mayhem » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:54 am

I voted on the machine I thought to be the best...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:23 am

The Laird wrote:It can be your favourite from back in the day or the one you like the most now
From the OP, the intention was always a popularity contest, not a technical superiority question.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:32 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Laird wrote:It can be your favourite from back in the day or the one you like the most now
From the OP, the intention was always a popularity contest, not a technical superiority question.
So he isn't asking what the "best" is then. He is asking for peoples favourite. Quite a difference.

"Best" implies the superior machine, not the most popular/well remembered.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Well it didn't work out that well as the Atari ST has 3 votes :D

I voted for SNES, otherwise it would be Mega Drive.
Buying an Amiga is the worst gaming mistake I ever made.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:59 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Well it didn't work out that well as the Atari ST has 3 votes :D

I also voted for the SNES (the Amiga just missed the top spot) - but why was buying an Amiga such a mistake for you? :?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:35 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Well it didn't work out that well as the Atari ST has 3 votes :D

It nearly was for me, at first I would have had to sell my Snes to get one, but then I was told I could keep my Snes and get an amiga.

Lucky escape, because as much as I love the amiga, and it was great to have alongside my snes, it would have been a huge mistake to give up the Snes for it.

It was just not a good machine if you were into arcade style games, or platformers, or fighting games and beat em ups and even shooters IMO. Fine if you loved the typres of games the amiga had but if you did not, and you were into the arcade style games then the amiga was always going to provide you with poorer examples.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:58 am

I went for the Amiga. Best for me all day long. So many hours spent on it, possibly only second to my PS3. My friend down the road had a Megadrive, and another friend a bit further away had a SNES. I've since bought myself an MD (and a Retron 5) to play through the machines, but would still pick Amiga ahead of it without question.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Buying an Amiga is the worst gaming mistake I ever made.
Yep, I sold my whole C64 set up (tons of tapes and disks. 2 drives 2 tape decks 2 beige breadbins and several joysticks and a Commodore monitor) to fund an A500 and some disks...

Stupid boy.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:17 am

markopoloman wrote:
gman72 wrote:If there was a way to add up every hour of fun that everyone globally who owned a SNES and an Amiga actually had with their machines and compared the two figures the SNES would have a vastly bigger number. It clearly had a vastly superior fun quotient attached to it. You can take that to the bank and stick it in an ISA, let it mature for a few years then take it out and look at how much more true a statement it is.
You are obviously incorrect. :mrgreen:
Show me the numbers, Mr Polo :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:32 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
It was more what you think is the best, as that is always subjective and takes into account lots of different factors.

I added the extra line as I knew people would argue between best an favourite, it just means they can pick either. It's just a fun poll and the answers have been very interesting I think.

@Darran - Atari ST, I might be an Atari fanboy but the ST would be right near the bottom of my list here!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:38 am

I think it's worth remembering that the ST had its heyday before most of the consoles came out and was very much the affordable option compared to the other computers on the list. If you had one any time from the mid-80s to around 1990 you probably did very well out of it games-wise. After that, it still had its moments, but wasn't getting anything like the games that the others were.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:16 am

With regards to the Amiga.

I grew up in arcades, so my favourite games were all arcade based, with a particular love for shoot-em-ups.
I graduated to the Master System and then fell into the SNES and Mega Drive as they both offered me the types of games I craved.

The Amiga by comparison typically had ropey arcade conversions, not enough buttons, but more importantly, games that simply didn't stimulate me.
I loved playing Eye Of The Beholder 1 and 2, Monkey Island and a few others. But I soon realised that aside from those, the real games I enjoyed playing simply weren't as good on the Amiga. Yes you got the occasional good example (Rainbow Islands), but not enough for me, and I regretted trading in my American SNES for it.

Now I don't hate the Amiga, far from it, I'm just looking at it from a purely selfish viewpoint. It simply doesn't offer enough of the games I enjoy playing. I've still played and owned plenty of great games that originated on the Amiga and ST first, but I really didn't like the load times, disk swapping and all the other faff associated with the home systems of the time.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:50 am

Yes THIS
FAFF
I don't hate Amigas either, just not for me. :D

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:33 am

I'm not surprised the Amiga is winning the pool, computers used to be the more popular choice for gaming in Europe before the PlayStation hit the stores and the Amiga was easily the best 80s computer and enjoyed good support in the early 90s too. And as someone else suggested, it was more than just a games machine - SNES and MD were game boxes with expensive games, but the Amiga could be used for a variety of things, including making your own game(s), which is a huge advantage in my eyes and something video game consoles will never trully provide outside some simple level editors.

As for the Neo and Dreamcast bitness - the Neo had a 16/32-bit main processor (Motorola 68000 running at 12 Mhz) and a 8/16-bit co-processor (Zilog Z80 running at 4 Mhz) while the DC's main processor (Hitachi SH-4) was a 32-bit RISC architecture but had a 128-bit floating point unit. The "bit wars" became largly irrelevant for marketing after the Dreamcast.
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:55 am

considering how few people voted I don't really take the results too seriously. you could go too other forums and do the same thing and the MD might edge it, or the Snes.

If it was a US or Japanese sire the Amiga would not even get a look in.