Best 16-bit Machine?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

What is your favourite?

PC Engine/TurboGrafx
2%
DOS PC
3%
Super Nintendo/Famicom
25%
Commodore Amiga
33%
Atari Lynx
1%
Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
24%
Apple Mac
No votes
SNK Neo Geo
3%
Atari ST
3%
Other?
5%

Total votes: 88

kiwimike

Re: Best 16-bit Machine?

Post by kiwimike » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:52 am

It is interesting reading. I would have thought the MD would get more love, but I'm biased to it of course!

The Amiga leading by quite a way is a surprise to me...but then, why not? It was and is a fab machine with some brilliant games

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:45 am

kiwimike wrote:It is interesting reading. I would have thought the MD would get more love, but I'm biased to it of course!

The Amiga leading by quite a way is a surprise to me...but then, why not? It was and is a fab machine with some brilliant games
Totally, for me the Mega Drive is the clear winner.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:14 pm

While the Neo is certainly a powerful system, half of it's lustre comes in cart sizes. The 16 bit conversions of games like Fatal Fury would have been even better with 100 meg cart sizes to store all of the animations. Games were expensive because ROMs were expensive.

Anyway, the 16 bit era was a marvel. SNES, MD, PCE, Amiga, ST etc etc. So many amazing games.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:13 pm

No way is the Amiga better than the SNES... I demand a recount.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Well obviously I voted Snes/Super Famicom being a collector of it & the games still look and play really well today
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Some of those nasty, tricksy Amiga games have aged like a dead hedgehog in a Somerset hedge at the start of the summer.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:33 pm

gman72 wrote:No way is the Amiga better than the SNES... I demand a recount.
More votes doesn't equate to better. That the Neo Geo got no votes should be evidence of this.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:39 pm

If there was a way to add up every hour of fun that everyone globally who owned a SNES and an Amiga actually had with their machines and compared the two figures the SNES would have a vastly bigger number. It clearly had a vastly superior fun quotient attached to it. You can take that to the bank and stick it in an ISA, let it mature for a few years then take it out and look at how much more true a statement it is.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:03 pm

gman72 wrote:If there was a way to add up every hour of fun that everyone globally who owned a SNES and an Amiga actually had with their machines and compared the two figures the SNES would have a vastly bigger number. It clearly had a vastly superior fun quotient attached to it. You can take that to the bank and stick it in an ISA, let it mature for a few years then take it out and look at how much more true a statement it is.
You are obviously incorrect. :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:11 pm

No real competition here. Amiga.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:22 pm

I picked the PCE, because it was the first console I owned that gave me arcade quality titles in my own home. My jaw dropped when I played vigilante for the first time!

The reason above, backed up by the amount of quality title's gives me little option to vote for anything else to be honest.

The MD and Snes are right up there with it, and I couldn't possibly pick a winner out of those two. They both have a massive range of quality title's and I enjoyed both equally overall.

The early 90's were great times to be gaming in. It was a privilege to lose so many hours playing the likes of SoR 2, Ninja Spirit, Actraiser etc. Great times indeed.

Eat your nans pants

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:58 am

gman72 wrote:If there was a way to add up every hour of fun that everyone globally who owned a SNES and an Amiga actually had with their machines and compared the two figures the SNES would have a vastly bigger number. It clearly had a vastly superior fun quotient attached to it. You can take that to the bank and stick it in an ISA, let it mature for a few years then take it out and look at how much more true a statement it is.
The SNES isn't even the best 16-bit console let alone the best 16-bit machine! :mrgreen: :lol:
And comparing sales numbers and calculating hours use is insane like the person suggesting it :lol: If you went on a machine to machine basis i have no doubt people used their Amiga's more than their SNES purely because it could do so much more.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:04 am

And I wonder how many of those SNES hours were spent playing Lemmings? Or SWIV? Or Turrican? Or Gods?

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:11 am

theantmeister wrote:And I wonder how many of those SNES hours were spent playing Lemmings? Or SWIV? Or Turrican? Or Gods?
Why play inferior versions and pay £50-£60 for the privilege when you can have the originals and play them a year or two before!?

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:32 am

Like any other vote, this is a popularity contest.

And, like any other popularity contest, being the most popular choice does not equate to being the "best".
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb