Best 16-bit Machine?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

What is your favourite?

PC Engine/TurboGrafx
2%
DOS PC
3%
Super Nintendo/Famicom
25%
Commodore Amiga
33%
Atari Lynx
1%
Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
24%
Apple Mac
No votes
SNK Neo Geo
3%
Atari ST
3%
Other?
5%

Total votes: 88

Matt_B

Re: Best 16-bit Machine?

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:39 am

Katzkatz wrote:Amiga all the way. Quite possibly - my favourite machine of all time. Not just for all the great games on it, but I did actually use it seriously : word processing with Text Engine, some programming with AMOS, music editing with both NoiseTracker and OctaMED, Deluxe Paint, Vista, etc.

As for the other machines : well, I suppose I can see the appeal of both the MD and SNES. They both had decent abilities. Some good platformers on the MD(Mickey's Castle of Illusion being a favourite of mine). On the SNES, well Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 and Mario Kart were played a lot on a college friend of mine's. Plus, it had the gamepad for those fighting games. I didn't do much 16 bit DOS gaming - I waited for the 32 bit stuff; I did try F15 Strike Eagle 2 - and that seemed terrible(it was CGA and EGA only - and the sound was bad), especially after I had seen the Amiga version. I didn't get to play much on the ST. Everyone seemed to have Amigas back then - compared to the 8 bit days, when Spectrum owners outnumbered the C64 owners; but, I did get to play on a local computer shop's one - and on Gauntlet 2 - it was a special moment. :D I did know someone with a PC Engine(if you still count that as strictly a 16 bit). R-Type on there was superb.
In all seriousness, you were hardly comparing like with like by looking at a PC game that came out in 1989 with an enhanced Amiga port that came out two years later at about the same time as the sequel to the PC game, with the latter having 256 colour graphics, and a vastly superior frame rate.

That's not to say that the Amiga didn't have games that weren't equalled on the PC until years later, if at all. Certainly, if scrolling shooters or platformers were your thing, the Amiga was ahead until well into the 90s. However, I'd think that in any given year, the state of the art PC flight sims were going to be a fair bit better than the Amiga's for the same time frame.

Anyway, in case you've not guessed, I'm going for the PC here. I also had an ST and a Megadrive in the same era, and they've got a lot of good games between them, but neither saw anything like as much action as the PC. Of the machines I missed out on at the time, the Neo Geo and SNES would be the ones that have the most games of enduring quality, but it's difficult to judge them against systems I grew up with. And that's almost always going to be the deciding factor in a poll like this.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:36 am

SNES... Pure entertainment very little faffing about.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:02 am

Has to be the Mega Drive for me.

The Amiga was good in its day, but I have no fondness for it and most of its games have dated badly.

As an ST owner, that's worse. Once 16 bit games got good, it couldn't keep up with the competition. There's little I go back to there and I look at what I used to play and most aren't great.

SNES is a contender, but the MD edges it out.

Neo Geo was ok, but I tired of it in the arcades with so many samey games. It got to the point where it was hard to be excited when you realised the 'new' cab was just another Neo Geo game when everything else around it was advancing so much.

PC games of that period didn't cut it, too limited by the hardware unless you spent thousands. We used to game on fairly high spec PCs at work and while fun, technically they were very limited, especially with sound.

Not sure why the 8 bit PC Engine is here. May as well include the Jaguar if we're going on the basis it had a 16 bit chip of some description inside it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:23 am

SNES by a long way

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:26 am

Amiga for me, had the most original and fun games, multi use machine games, music, art etc, games £10-£25 vs console prices of £40-£60.

Loved my Megadrive too but there was no comparison to the use i got out of my Amiga compared to it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:36 am

outdated_gamer wrote:It could also be noted that DOS PC was 16-bit only in the 286 era but 386 machines were already 32-bit architecture.
The term "DOS PC" is a little ambiguous, isn't it? I took it to mean IBM compatibles running MS-DOS that were contemporary with the other systems listed (early-mid 90s?), which would technically span to include 386s. Although, in my case, I was still gaming on an XT clone.
Antiriad2097 wrote:PC games of that period didn't cut it, too limited by the hardware unless you spent thousands. We used to game on fairly high spec PCs at work and while fun, technically they were very limited, especially with sound.
But they offered a different kind of experience. I was lucky enough to have a SNES, Megadrive and the XT. The SNES was great when I wanted to play platforming games like Super Mario World, the Megadrive was great when friends came over and you could play World of Illusion or Streets of Rage 2 and the PC was great for spending hours pondering the puzzles in Space Quest or flying an F-22.

I guess it also helped PC piracy was rampant at my school. I'd settle for the PC port of Golden Axe for what I paid for it :roll:

[edit] Nice to see the SNES doing so well! It would definitely be my second choice.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:52 am

General Opulence wrote:Amiga for me, had the most original and fun games, multi use machine games, music, art etc, games £10-£25 vs console prices of £40-£60.

Loved my Megadrive too but there was no comparison to the use i got out of my Amiga compared to it.
I was considering 'now' rather than 'then'.

I put far more hours into my ST, but going back to it the MD trounces it for gaming when prices aren't such an issue (considering I picked up most of my MD games for about £2 before the boom in prices). Back then I balked at the prices so was much more a computer user/gamer.

Ditto for going back to PC games. Old flight sims haven't aged well, though the point n clicks have held up with many modern releases maintaining their style.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:20 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: I was considering 'now' rather than 'then'.
Well if the question is now rather than then, it would still be the Amiga, i emulate now more than use real machines though i do still have a few, but game wise i got it down to 100 games for each Megadrive and Snes which i consider worth playing, whilst the Amiga is 200 games, i don't use it for art, music anymore but the original games that are multi format i play the original Amiga version i.e Flashback, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, but i use scumm for adventure games etc but it would still be Amiga for me.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:31 am

This is tricky. Is PCE officially regarded as 16 bit? Not trying to be smartarse or start an argument- I genuinely am tech ignorant about what goes on under the hood and have seen all sorts of ways 8 bit/16 bit machines have been defined.

And not sure if what I consider 'Best' is also what I consider 'favourite!' Probably over thinking it.

For me, I couldn't go past the Mega Drive. I adored that machine and the games on it. Favourites had to be Streets of Rage 2 (of course), Jungle Strike, Road Rash 2, and some wonderful sports games for some multiplayer battles. NHL, NBA Jam...and we always preferred Joe Montana Sports talk football over Madden :) Zero Tolerance was a surprisingly good FPS. Stonkingly good library of games. :)

merman

Post by merman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:53 am

Has to be the SNES for me. So many iconic games, a great controller and a long-lasting legacy.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:24 am

theantmeister wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:It could also be noted that DOS PC was 16-bit only in the 286 era but 386 machines were already 32-bit architecture.
The term "DOS PC" is a little ambiguous, isn't it? I took it to mean IBM compatibles running MS-DOS that were contemporary with the other systems listed (early-mid 90s?), which would technically span to include 386s. Although, in my case, I was still gaming on an XT clone.
Only the 386DX models were true 32-bit CPUs. The 386SX was bodged onto a 16-bit bus in much the same fashion as the 8088 was like the 8086 on an 8-bit bus. The Cyrix 486SLC was probably the ultimate 16-bit CPU, at least so far as PCs went; although it was never very widely used, you could run games like Doom and Descent on it at playable speeds.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:05 am

Amiga. The C64 was amazing and then came along this machine that somehow completely managed to blow away the joys of that machine, so its no competition for me, A M I G A.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:30 am

It's the Amiga, isn't it?

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:29 am

Atari jaguar is the best 16 bit by a mile.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

clarance

Post by clarance » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:09 pm

Amiga, has to be - surely the most popular in the UK at the time, and the most fun.
Death may be your Santa Claus.