Best 16-bit Machine?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

What is your favourite?

PC Engine/TurboGrafx
2%
DOS PC
3%
Super Nintendo/Famicom
25%
Commodore Amiga
33%
Atari Lynx
1%
Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
24%
Apple Mac
No votes
SNK Neo Geo
3%
Atari ST
3%
Other?
5%

Total votes: 88

The Beans

Re: Best 16-bit Machine?

Post by The Beans » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:25 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:The up jump on bubble bobble was spot on.

Can't see why anyone would complain about that.
Rainbow Islands too, I can understand console gamers finding it a bit naff but those of us who grew up with home micros are used to the controls and have no problem with it.
I grew up with home micros and up to jump has always been one of the naffest things in gaming. It's unwelcome in any game imo.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:58 pm

PostieDoc wrote:

Rainbow Islands too, I can understand console gamers finding it a bit naff but those of us who grew up with home micros are used to the controls and have no problem with it.
Exactly, the jump key doesn't make any sense unless the up direction has a different, not compatible purpose. Hate to have to press two different buttons for jump and shoot/action. But maybe it's just me and a few others that in the right hand only have one thumb :P

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:24 pm

Can I just add that driving games that have you push up to accelerate are also horrible.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:44 pm

PostieDoc wrote:

Me neither. Hitting a button to jump or pushing up was never a huge issue for me.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:48 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Can I just add that driving games that have you push up to accelerate are also horrible.
agreed. accelerating, braking and steering on one d-pad/stick is a pain.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:09 pm

I didn't mind it when I was younger, loathe it now.

This is why I use a modified Mega Drive pad with my XE - the B button is fire, the A button is also up and the B button is also down. Very very useful indeed.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:10 pm

I have no trouble with using up for jump, its more logical, and if these soft console owners need another button for jump let them, they will be asking for a pause button next, oh wait... :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Up to jump works on a proper joystick, just not on a dpad.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:42 am

Pushing up to jump up and pressing fire to fire a gun is totally logical. If it's possible, I re-map up to jump on MAME games, as it's much easier to control.

On consoles, everything is a button (which is why I totally ignored them after the VCS until the PS1 got the analogue sticks), so I suppose it doesn't matter to them, but for a joystick it's the correct way of doing it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:53 am

necronom wrote:Pushing up to jump up and pressing fire to fire a gun is totally logical. If it's possible, I re-map up to jump on MAME games, as it's much easier to control.

On consoles, everything is a button (which is why I totally ignored them after the VCS until the PS1 got the analogue sticks), so I suppose it doesn't matter to them, but for a joystick it's the correct way of doing it.
Exactly, and this is one of the reasons I've always liked the combination joystick / up to jump more. With the D-pad it would be impractical, but this leads to other problems. For example, I love the PC Engine and gave Shinobi a go yesterday, but finding the timing jump/fire to defeat the first boss was a chore.
I've always struggled with pads before the PS1 / analog sticks era, the console pads of the 8 and 16 bit eras (and let's face it, some of them were plain ugly and badly designed) will never be my cup of tea.
Give me a QuickJoy or a Competition Pro any day, that's the way games should be played :P

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:12 pm

great to see the mighty Amiga crushing the opposition

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:22 pm

LOL, strange definition of crushing.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Up to jump works on a proper joystick, just not on a dpad.

This is correct.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Up is good for jump? Oh please. It's a compromise to make up for missing buttons. I love the old 1 button joystick as much as anyone, but does anyone honestly think something like SMB1 which requires a run button to make certain jumps would control as well as with pressing up to jump as opposed to being able to press 2 buttons at the same time?

Up is for climbing.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:22 pm

davyK wrote:Up is good for jump? Oh please. It's a compromise to make up for missing buttons. I love the old 1 button joystick as much as anyone, but does anyone honestly think something like SMB1 which requires a run button to make certain jumps would control as well as with pressing up to jump as opposed to being able to press 2 buttons at the same time?

Up is for climbing.

But what if you've only got one button? For a joystick 'up' works fine - esp when you don't have a spare button! Joysticks are much more precise than mushy d-pads.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"