Best 16-bit Machine?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

What is your favourite?

PC Engine/TurboGrafx
2%
DOS PC
3%
Super Nintendo/Famicom
25%
Commodore Amiga
33%
Atari Lynx
1%
Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
24%
Apple Mac
No votes
SNK Neo Geo
3%
Atari ST
3%
Other?
5%

Total votes: 88

The Laird

Best 16-bit Machine?

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:40 pm

So here is a question for you, I am sure it's been done before on here but thought it would be interesting to make a poll and see what some of the new members think too. It was inspired by the Neo Geo article in this month's RG comparing the machine to it's 16-bit rivals of the time.

So this is a mix of consoles and computers, basically anything that is considered to be 16-bit - so for example the PC Engine/TurboGrafx makes the cut.

It can be your favourite from back in the day or the one you like the most now, just let us know why it's your fave!

sirpigmeat

Re: Best 16-bit Machine?

Post by sirpigmeat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:49 pm

SNES, it has more games that I like than the others. I had a Megadrive when they were out and love that too, but whenever I go back to it theirs alot less I want to play than on the SNES now.

Must admit some of them I haven't spent an awful lot of time with though, maybe played a handful of games on emulators here and there. I kind of doubt that any of them would top the SNES for me though.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Tricky for me. The SNES is the one I love most but I understand the high esteem the MD is held in by many and as an Amiga owner from back in the day that machine holds a lot of fantastic memories. Had to give it to the SNES, though, in the end.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:59 pm

I'd like to vote SNES or Megadrive, but I honestly have more fond memories of DOS. Although, confusingly, most of my fondest memories are of bad Amiga ports. :?

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Amiga all the way. Quite possibly - my favourite machine of all time. Not just for all the great games on it, but I did actually use it seriously : word processing with Text Engine, some programming with AMOS, music editing with both NoiseTracker and OctaMED, Deluxe Paint, Vista, etc.

As for the other machines : well, I suppose I can see the appeal of both the MD and SNES. They both had decent abilities. Some good platformers on the MD(Mickey's Castle of Illusion being a favourite of mine). On the SNES, well Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 and Mario Kart were played a lot on a college friend of mine's. Plus, it had the gamepad for those fighting games. I didn't do much 16 bit DOS gaming - I waited for the 32 bit stuff; I did try F15 Strike Eagle 2 - and that seemed terrible(it was CGA and EGA only - and the sound was bad), especially after I had seen the Amiga version. I didn't get to play much on the ST. Everyone seemed to have Amigas back then - compared to the 8 bit days, when Spectrum owners outnumbered the C64 owners; but, I did get to play on a local computer shop's one - and on Gauntlet 2 - it was a special moment. :D I did know someone with a PC Engine(if you still count that as strictly a 16 bit). R-Type on there was superb.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:20 pm

MegaDrive all the way, never got on with the SNES, I TRY TO LIKE IT BUT IT DONT FEEL RIGHT!!

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:53 pm

I'll take the less popular route and go for ST, by the time the Amiga hit its stride I moved on!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:56 pm

QUESTION??!

Was the NeoGeo really 16 bits? I thought it was a machine that transcended that due to its just like the arcadeness

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:10 pm

SNES. I do also have fond memories of playing on my friends ST. So 2nd place goes to Atari.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:22 pm

SNES. Greatest console ever imo ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:04 pm

killbot wrote:Tricky for me. The SNES is the one I love most but I understand the high esteem the MD is held in by many and as an Amiga owner from back in the day that machine holds a lot of fantastic memories. Had to give it to the SNES, though, in the end.
I had precisely the main thoughts on this.

The Amiga was/is amazing, and on some days I may have voted for it, but if I really consider which games machine made the biggest impact, it has to be the SNES. Also the SNES really hasn't aged at all thanks to its vast colour palette, enormous range of 2D games (only tried 3D a bit - which of course have dated badly) and a D-pad that IMO has never been matched.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Hardware-wise, the Neo-Geo or maybe Sharp X68000, game-wise SNES for me. But the MD was no slouch either, I tend to play it more than the SNES in recent times. It could also be noted that DOS PC was 16-bit only in the 286 era but 386 machines were already 32-bit architecture. And the Motorola 68000 that powered Amiga, ST, MD, Neo and X68000 was a 16/32-bit hybrid architecture. The very first 16-bit home system was probably the TI-99 and the first 16-bit console was the Intellivision.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:23 pm

SNES for me.

Honourable mentions go to the Amiga and the Megadrive.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:03 pm

It was a tough call between nostalgia (ST) and common sense (Amiga). Nostalgia won. Just...
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Had a lot of fun with lost of the machines listed, some I played a little later like the PC-Engine, so that is never going to be as special to me as machines I played that were new at the time.

Its comes down to a top 3 of Amiga, MD, and Snes.

The amiga I loved, but as much as I enoyed it, it just not have that special something that the MD and Snes has when looking back.

So for me, its a very very close top 2, with the Snes just edging out the MD.