NEW THE KING OF FIGHTERS!!!!!!!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Black Ridge

Re: NEW THE KING OF FIGHTERS!!!!!!!!!

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:58 pm

I picked it up today. I'm bloody awful at it and keep getting bodied online. If anyone does fancy a game let me know and I'll chuck you my PSN ID

Still, beats SFV :evil:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3KVgI1LvU

Ok its not for 14, but the fundamentals are the same

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:17 pm

So is anybody else playing this? My only gripes thus far are the nasty PS2-standard character models and a final boss which is just a really boring design (but not actually too hard to beat for once!). Music is a bit forgettable too.

Trying to learn how to play as Angel - I was never any good with her in KOF 2001 and the same seems to apply here. Her moveset is a bit complicated and having to keep opening up the command list page is getting frustrating. Might need to print something out!

Also given Alice a go and I really like her. Not too difficult to use at all and has some cool combos.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

level857games

Post by level857games » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:11 am

I was thinking about picking this up. From what I've seen the graphics haven't pissed me off like some of the responses I've read here. How are the controls? Loose because of the 3d aspect or more like the sprite based ones? For me, the more street fighter the controls, the better.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:51 am

level857games wrote:I was thinking about picking this up. From what I've seen the graphics haven't pissed me off like some of the responses I've read here. How are the controls? Loose because of the 3d aspect or more like the sprite based ones? For me, the more street fighter the controls, the better.
It still plays like a 2D KOF game just with 3D models instead of sprites. XIII looked like it had sprites but they were laid over polygons/3D models to give the player the impression that it was 2D so it feels no different to previous game or any other 2D fighter to be honest.

The character models look good from a distance; it's when they're zoomed in for a super move that they look like they're from the PS2-era. Backgrounds look great regardless even if the characters themselves look a bit disjointed from them (as if it's too obvious that they're moving "on top" of another layer). I can't really blame SNK though with what they have pulled off on a much tighter budget than Capcom's. I'll take 50 characters rendered on a budget to fantastic-looking characters in an unfinished mess like SFV.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:58 am

An update patch (1.10) will apparently be upgrading the graphics. There's a comparison screen in the news article below:
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/scree ... ec2016.htm

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:11 am

Megamixer wrote:An update patch (1.10) will apparently be upgrading the graphics. There's a comparison screen in the news article below:
Surprised at just how much support its getting. I'm glad I picked up the game last week now, I was playing it last night and I'm just loving it. The mix of new and old characters (and tons of them at that) plus a solid fighting system means I might prefer the gameplay to SFV (I'm still not sure which I prefer, I love both).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:39 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Megamixer wrote:An update patch (1.10) will apparently be upgrading the graphics. There's a comparison screen in the news article below:
Surprised at just how much support its getting. I'm glad I picked up the game last week now, I was playing it last night and I'm just loving it. The mix of new and old characters (and tons of them at that) plus a solid fighting system means I might prefer the gameplay to SFV (I'm still not sure which I prefer, I love both).
I've seen some costume DLC previewed as well (think it was Iori's classic costume) so I think there will be more bits coming hopefully. I've still not redeemed my code for Kyo's classic costume that came in the tin purely because I never use him!

My favourite three to use so far have been Robert/Mai/Alice. Usually Ryo is always my main but for some reason I'm preferring Robert in XIV. Alice is just a really cool character with easy-to-use moves.

Also use Kula quite a bit and trying to learn Angel but her combos are really difficult to memorise and pull off thanks to the strict timings on the inputs. Even with a movelist printed out, I'm struggling!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:08 pm

I liked Nelson in the demo, but I've not used him in the full game yet. I've really been enjoying the Fatal Fury team, Kim, Geese and Billy (yeah, I like Fatal Fury!). Still need to try out Tung Fu Ru. I also gave Xanadu a try. Damn he's weird (personality wise) but I kinda like his moves list.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:48 pm

New current team is King of Dinosaurs/Robert/Kula.

Loving Tizoc - sorry - King of Dinosaurs (get that right!) at the moment due to his awesome supers and the armour effect during the animation of his piledriver move. I usually hate grappler characters in fighting games (Rainbow Mika aside) but in KOF XIV the likes of Dinosaur don't have stupid, thumb-destroying 360 inputs so I'm finding that I'm more likely to give them a go.

I've also noticed that they finally got rid of that horrible input for Geese's 'Raging Storm' so again, I'm now more likely to try and learn how to play as him properly. I know there are some players who want the older, trickier inputs to be retained but for me it's all about learning character combos, strengths/weaknesses and actually fighting. I've never seen physically grappling with needlessly complicated inputs to be part of "the game" when it comes to fighters.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:29 am

Yeah, changing up Geese's input was a welcome change to me, makes things a whole load easier. I do love his tweaked moveset but I don't think I could ever use him in any professional capacity. I'm still playing around with the majority of characters though, SNK sure didn't slouch on the number of characters in this game! It'll probably take me months to fully try everyone.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Has anybody else downloaded the v.1.10 update? It drastically improves the quality of the character models with much better textures, shading and overall detail. Two new colours per character are also added. It was quite a beefy 3-4GB update so with my sh1tty internet it certainly took a few days of pausing//resuming to get it downloaded but the update is such an improvement and the game is pretty nice to look at now, even if it still isn't as attractive as the likes of SFV.

Loads of free themes added to the PS Store as well - I've downloaded a fair few of them and now have a sweet K' + Kula theme going on :)

Really impressed with all the free bits and the fact that SNK actually listened and boosted the graphics. Yeah, you can argue that the game should have been released like this in the first place but given how it came out with better single-player than SFV and 50+ characters, there's really no room to complain too much. Their attitude has just been a lot better than Capcom's imo.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:44 pm

New costumes, re-imaginings of a couple of classic stages plus FOUR NEW CHARACTERS coming soon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VL7L6G6tQ

I'm guessing that some of the new characters will be brand-new but if I could see some older SNK favourites return then I wouldn't say no to Blue Mary, B.Jenet, King Lion/Leo, Neo Dio or Vanessa. Pretty hyped to be honest as KOF XIV is a great game that I'm still enjoying. Definitely have no problem buying some DLC given the free graphics update, the free themes and other bits that SNK have supported the game with thus far :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Megamixer wrote:New costumes, re-imaginings of a couple of classic stages plus FOUR NEW CHARACTERS coming soon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VL7L6G6tQ

I'm guessing that some of the new characters will be brand-new but if I could see some older SNK favourites return then I wouldn't say no to Blue Mary, B.Jenet, King Lion/Leo, Neo Dio or Vanessa. Pretty hyped to be honest as KOF XIV is a great game that I'm still enjoying. Definitely have no problem buying some DLC given the free graphics update, the free themes and other bits that SNK have supported the game with thus far :)
Yeahh, SNK's support so far rocks, and I can't wait to see which characters get added. I'm hoping for Yamazaki myself :mrgreen: Or really anyone from oldschool FF or AOF. Maybe someone like Lin or Seth as well...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Well, the first two DLC characters have been revealed as Whip and Yamazaki so I guess that's at least one for you, Shadowman :)