Modern games that 'restore your faith'

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:27 am

MC1 wrote:I'm sure I have seen Kong for really cheap on internet store websites.

I Thought it got poor reviews. Is it better than these reviews suggest?
It's as decent a film tie-in as youre likely to get for a game that follows the film so closely. FPS style bits broken up by amazing (but quite easy) platformy type action when control switches to Kong. I like it - it's nothing special , but it is FUN , which is something to say for it. Agame that actually makes you WANT to finish it , rather than just for completion's sake. You're bound to be able to pick it up for peanuts :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:01 am

Cheers for that,

I might see if I can get it cheap somewhere for the 360.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:35 am

MC1 wrote:I Thought it got poor reviews. Is it better than these reviews suggest?
Actually, the reviews of Kong were generally pretty favourable. The xbox version of KK has an overall gamerankings score of 82.3%. The 360 version has 80.4% As I recall, a lot of reviews I read docked points because the game isn't very long.

I'm trying to think of more games worth mentioning within the context of this thread. Ico, PoP, and BG&E have all been mentioned.

Oh yeh, Gitaroo Man is one that put a big smile on my face, though it sure gets difficult in places. I had bags of fun with Amplitude and Frequency too.

And I have high hopes for RE4, but I haven't got around to playing it yet.

pipoldchap

Post by pipoldchap » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:38 am

The 'God of War' duo. They're stunning. Not over taxing on the brain, Fantastic graphics and a good story line.

Lego Star Wars and the New Super Mario Bros. on DS. Super Princess Peach is close, but not quite.
I WISH I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner...

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:25 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Most games on the DS, for sure. There's a company (Nintendo) that still understands that games are supposed to be FUN, not chores. I also agree with OutRun 2, which was excellent, far outshining the original, yet retaining the pick-up-and-play arcade game feel.
I've always found that Nintendo have the right balance: they know how to make a game with the polished graphics, superb sound and the excellent quality of a modern master piece but they still manage to keep the old school formula of pure & simple fun. 99% of Nintendo games I've ever played, I can just pick up the controller and play - now that's what gaming is about (as far as I'm concerned, anyway) - now try applying that formula to Final Fantasy and see where it get you.
pipoldchap wrote:Lego Star Wars
Probably my favourite modern game at the moment!!! Closely followed by Mario Kart: Double Dash

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:31 am

iirc I picked up GC Kong at 2 for a tenner in Gamestation. Worth a punt at a fiver? I suppose so. The Kong bits are best, but they're very short and extremely linear, so its not as fun as it should be. It looks like you've more freedom than it gives you.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:24 pm

Thief: Deadly Shadows (awesome story), Anachronox (ditto), Pacman CE, Alien Hominid, Geometry Wars, Laser Squad (GBA), PoP:SoT... Just to name a few...

Andrew

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:30 pm

God of War 2! Good to see a return to good old fashioned button bashing!!! Add that to a great level up system, great story, great visuals (not to mention boobies) and it just makes me happy to be a gamer again!

David GP

Post by David GP » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:46 am

Crackdown, on the 360.
Mind you: I've never been into GTA-like games, I even disliked the demo, but the full version completely blew me away. Crackdown is a first-rate platformer only equalled by the best 3D Mario ; it is also one of the funniest deepest third-person shooters you'll ever play. Plus, when you're tired of jumping and shooting, you can turn the game into a very competent -albeit frustrating- racing game.
Video gaming at its best.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:01 am

I got Crackdown as a pack-in with my 360 (along with Gears of War). Haven't played either of them. I'll add that the list of 'must get round to it' games.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:19 am

Crackdown is really good fun , loads to do , good on co op as well. I bought flatout 360 over the weekend and have been playing that non stop , its excellent , especially the mini game sections against 4 or 5 online opponents , great fun.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:36 pm

SirClive wrote:I got Crackdown as a pack-in with my 360 (along with Gears of War). Haven't played either of them. I'll add that the list of 'must get round to it' games.
I have only played Crackdown and Gears on Co-op. Both superb. I have completed both. But would definately keep going back to them. Crackdown in particular has just had a couple of great updates come out for it. One is free and the other costs about 800 points.

The good thing about the 800 point update is you can enjoy the upgrades that come with this if you join someone elses game who have this.

Feel free to add me to your friends list if you ever want to give it a bash!

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:10 am

revgiblet wrote:Resident Evil 4 also did something for me.
Ooh, yeah... I was watching a mate play that the other day, and it looked dead cool. I'd love to have a go at that... it looked very playable. :D
~Mike
www.bthive.co.uk :: Banjo Trilogy Hive

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:43 am

MikeHive wrote:
Ooh, yeah... I was watching a mate play that the other day, and it looked dead cool. I'd love to have a go at that... it looked very playable. :D
I've just bought it for the GC today. Being a self proffessed Resi-hater I don't know if it was a wise purchase, but people keep raving about it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:58 am

SirClive wrote:
MikeHive wrote:
I've just bought it for the GC today. Being a self proffessed Resi-hater I don't know if it was a wise purchase, but people keep raving about it.
You realise the Wii version is released this weekend?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.