Modern games that 'restore your faith'

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:37 am

Dudley wrote:
Emperor Fossil wrote: So true. I still love modern games, but you certainly need at least an hour for a proper gaming session for many of them. Outrun 2 has been mentioned by a few people, and this is a game I often turn to for a 5-10 minute gaming fix... that half the time winds up being an hour-long OR2 session anyway.
I actually have the same problem with TV.

I tend to watch more TV than films because I don't want to commit then to 90mins sat down.

Then I'll watch 6 straight episodes of Scrubs anyway and ruin the whole thing.

Yup, I do that most days.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:47 am

killer7 - if only because it gives me another reason to get a Wii (the spiritual successor to killer7, No More Heroes, is heading to the Wii, yay!)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:24 pm

God of War, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of Colossus. The more recent Ridges - have restored my faith.

I think a lot of games were trying to be too clever by half and they killed my faith.

I personally think a lot of over sized RPGS and Sneak abouts (MGS, Siphon Filter, Spinter Cell), FPS games in general, the GTA series and it's clones dragged the games into an over complex nightmare.

Like wise some of the tat on the DS, so called Casual-gamer fiddle-and-fanny-abouts, leave me cold.

But there is a steady stream of solid 'fun' games coming out. Games that pander to the post 16bit, pre-Nintendo-casualise crowd. Games that are almost arcade like.

i.e. people who like to either kill or drive fast in circle or both in a video game - without having to alter the fabric of your mind or indeed think too much. Yet still hate cutesy.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:43 pm

I would say King Kong - an incredible game to play , one in which the programmer ha created a believable world - gameplay is king , and that's what matters
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:44 pm

Not the most recent game, but Gregory Horror Show. Reminded me games can be unique, fun and draw you in because of these purposes, you didn't have to play it to completion. You wanted to.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:01 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Emperor Fossil wrote: So true. I still love modern games, but you certainly need at least an hour for a proper gaming session for many of them. Outrun 2 has been mentioned by a few people, and this is a game I often turn to for a 5-10 minute gaming fix... that half the time winds up being an hour-long OR2 session anyway.
I actually have the same problem with TV.

I tend to watch more TV than films because I don't want to commit then to 90mins sat down.

Then I'll watch 6 straight episodes of Scrubs anyway and ruin the whole thing.
Yup, I do that most days.
Not to mention the good old "I don't have time for TV or games, so instead I'll just quickly check a couple of forums" ... read,read,read,type,type,type. Checks clock. Two hours have slipped away.

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:49 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I would say King Kong - an incredible game to play , one in which the programmer ha created a believable world - gameplay is king , and that's what matters
==> Agreed. I played and beat Xbox King Kong a few months ago. Quite impressed, and it scared the pants off me many times. Love the Rex encounters. Yet another feather in Michel Ancel's cap (I loved Rayman and Rayman 2 and BG&E too).

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:54 pm

Cafeman wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:I would say King Kong - an incredible game to play , one in which the programmer ha created a believable world - gameplay is king , and that's what matters
==> Agreed. I played and beat Xbox King Kong a few months ago. Quite impressed, and it scared the pants off me many times. Love the Rex encounters. Yet another feather in Michel Ancel's cap (I loved Rayman and Rayman 2 and BG&E too).
Same here. What a rollicking adventure that game was. The sort of game you could happily play through a second or third time.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:40 am

I think it helps that the director Peter Jackson actually cared about how the game would turn out , and had impu into who would actually get the job of converting his remake onto our games machines
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:59 am

Odd. I just played King Kong a few weeks ago and found it quite tiresome. Its ok to start with, but there are just so many dreary jungle corridors you get channeled down it gets very repetitive. AI wasn't great and there are far too few sections where you get to play Kong. The final city level is atrocious, with a camera that completely ruins the experience. I was expecting to be able to roam around a half decent city area causing mayhem, but again it channelled you down a few tiny streets with not much in them, which is just as well as the camera flips all over the place so I still got lost. A game I will never play again, so much so I contemlated trading it, something I've only done a couple of times in the past.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:16 am

Emperor Fossil wrote: Not to mention the good old "I don't have time for TV or games, so instead I'll just quickly check a couple of forums" ... read,read,read,type,type,type. Checks clock. Two hours have slipped away.
Two monitors baby, I can waste time doing both of the above :)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Odd. I just played King Kong a few weeks ago and found it quite tiresome. Its ok to start with, but there are just so many dreary jungle corridors you get channeled down it gets very repetitive. AI wasn't great and there are far too few sections where you get to play Kong. The final city level is atrocious, with a camera that completely ruins the experience. I was expecting to be able to roam around a half decent city area causing mayhem, but again it channelled you down a few tiny streets with not much in them, which is just as well as the camera flips all over the place so I still got lost. A game I will never play again, so much so I contemlated trading it, something I've only done a couple of times in the past.
I know what you mean about the final city level. It really felt tacked on and anticlimactic. And it's true that you tend to get pushed (or rafted!) down a lot jungle corridors, but I dunno, the steamy jungle atmosphere really appealed to me, so I didn't mind that at all. Mind you, although I said it's the kind of game you could happily play through a second or third time, I haven't actually done so yet. I thought I'd wait till the day I get a 360.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:13 am

Emperor Fossil wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Odd. I just played King Kong a few weeks ago and found it quite tiresome. Its ok to start with, but there are just so many dreary jungle corridors you get channeled down it gets very repetitive. AI wasn't great and there are far too few sections where you get to play Kong. The final city level is atrocious, with a camera that completely ruins the experience. I was expecting to be able to roam around a half decent city area causing mayhem, but again it channelled you down a few tiny streets with not much in them, which is just as well as the camera flips all over the place so I still got lost. A game I will never play again, so much so I contemlated trading it, something I've only done a couple of times in the past.
I know what you mean about the final city level. It really felt tacked on and anticlimactic. And it's true that you tend to get pushed (or rafted!) down a lot jungle corridors, but I dunno, the steamy jungle atmosphere really appealed to me, so I didn't mind that at all. Mind you, although I said it's the kind of game you could happily play through a second or third time, I haven't actually done so yet. I thought I'd wait till the day I get a 360.
I've completed it twice. I had it on the Xbox and then I bought it cheap for the 360, while I really enjoyed the 1st time, the 2nd was meh. It doesn't look that much better on the 360 and it's only worth it if you want an easy 1000 gamerpoints. This is coming from a huge King Kong fan who even enjoys watching King Kong Lives......(I know :oops: )

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:13 am

I'm sure I have seen Kong for really cheap on internet store websites.

I Thought it got poor reviews. Is it better than these reviews suggest?

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:27 am

MC1 wrote:I'm sure I have seen Kong for really cheap on internet store websites.

I Thought it got poor reviews. Is it better than these reviews suggest?
You can pick it up for £9.99 or less on most sites. For that price it's definitely worth it. Don't play it expecting the best game ever, and you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are some nice touches, and the Kong sections are mostly excellent.