Modern games that 'restore your faith'

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:21 am

i liked GUN on the xbox

GOD OF WAR on ps2

really enjoying the STRANGLEHOLD demo on the 360. hope the game is that good

and SKATE on the 360. again a demo but plays great

Ultros

Post by Ultros » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:36 pm

Shadow of the Colossus. I know that game has already been said, but I thought it was worth bringing up again. The music, gameplay, and character design were all fantastic. What was essentially a game made up of one HUGE boss battle turned out to be one of the most memorable game experiences I had. Not to mention the team that worked on that game were geniuses. The design for Argo being a perfect example. When I would play the game I would find myself tapping the controller button to slow Argo down because I felt I was pushing him too hard and I would worry when he got hurt by a colossus( similarly, I have read that male gamers would feel that same sort of protectiveness toward Yorda in the game Ico). That connection between the player and the game is something that I think is missing in many games. I don't want to feel like I am just slamming down buttons and such to reach the end (although occasionaly that is fun). I want to care about what I'm doing.

Playing Shadow of the Colossus was much like playing Panzer Dragoon for the first time. There wasn't much dialogue, and the story wasn't too in depth, but the atmosphere of the game made you feel like you were engaged in something special.
"Ack...seafood soup!"