mario maker level share thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Re: mario maker level share thread

Post by killbot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 am

Here's one you might just recognise...

9398-0000-0041-1619

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:46 pm

Christ, this took myself 90 mins to beat, just so I could upload it. XD

Good luck fellow makers, you'll need it.

C4BD-0000-003F-E5A5

Also this one I made still only has a 2.28% completion rate.

1154-0000-0037-F807
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Following you all now....

Thanks for the stars!

My daughter is desperate to upload her levels for you all to play...trouble is...she covers the maps with stars! Must teach her that less is more..

I wasn't excited about this release but I'm really impressed....daughter adores it.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:00 pm

4th level is somewhat a result of a design that went wrong (i miss an option to delete patches of play-map in the middle, now you can only slide the castle at the end back to the left, deleting level design you've done, which is annoying) but someone in the comment section thought it was the best level he played!

Prickly Pastures Of Precision
29E7-0000-003E-5323

5th level (just completed it) is a little ghost house level where i tried to insert a couple of 'alternate points of interest' beside the main route

Spooks 'n Spikes
4A4D-0000-0043-3E28

enjoy! :mrgreen:

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:51 am

Not mine but this one's....comically dark and creative. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=216&v=CSm1Rn7Prcs
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:37 am

Really enjoying this at the moment, made and deleted a few this week, I was making them too hard and sticking in overly complex puzzles... Found its good to try them a few days later when you've forgotten how they go a bit. These two are ok I think...

DCDE 0000 003C 66B3
A0EC 0000 002C 944E

Played shadowmans courses so far... V.good, liked new smb2 best.

My wife made a couple too...

B9F5 0000 0042 0EDD
7B77 0000 0042 7FCC

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:09 pm

this is my 6th level and is going to be my last for a couple of days, since i'm out of ideas

Montgomery Mole's Mystery Manor
5F90-0000-0047-614A

due to time constraints i haven't played anyone's levels on here as i've only been designing :oops: but tomorrow i'm going to try a couple!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 pm

snesfanboy wrote:this is my 6th level and is going to be my last for a couple of days, since i'm out of ideas

Montgomery Mole's Mystery Manor
5F90-0000-0047-614A

due to time constraints i haven't played anyone's levels on here as i've only been designing :oops: but tomorrow i'm going to try a couple!
So it begs the question

Who will a Willy?

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Really very happy with these two:

691F 0000 0049 DDC1 Deja-Boo
61FD 0000 004A 64B7 Me and my Goomba

Think i've played some of most peoples courses, many of you are sadists, but in a good way. :D
Starred everything I enjoyed and could complete.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Is this too hard??

E95d 0000 004b 080a
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:45 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Is this too hard??

E95d 0000 004b 080a
Seems reasonable to me... although I have been playing expert mode on 100 marios and that absolutely nightmarish experience could make anything seem easy. Thank god for the skip function. "hey i'll put in a huge series of incredibly hard one block jumps, followed by a leap of faith and a hundred spikeys bouncing about on trampolines and then if you get through that heres a big tower of bad guys shooting fire balls at you wioth no discernible way to defeat them" GAH!

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:13 am

Allright, I'll post up my own that I've uploaded so far. I've got 6 levels here, the last of which was just uploaded about an hour ago. I'm currently sitting at 51 stars.

For the most part, I think these turned out pretty well. I spend alot of time on each one; I'm used to the process of level design (and game design in general), so I typically have an idea as to how to approach things. I test the hell out of these.

Mostly I like to make more "classic" style levels, as opposed to ones filled with gimmicks or whatever. Though a couple of them are a bit gimmicky. I always put numerous secrets in these levels, and generally have pipes to find that actually go somewhere (as in, optional rooms with stuff in them), so there are things to find in each (usually), except the one with the stars.These also arent the sorts of levels that just completely ignore powerups, like way too many of them do, yet for the most part they should be a decent challenge.

I *dont* use enemy spam or stacks of like 80 jerks on top of each other, and there are usually plenty of ? blocks, but "trap" blocks (as in, with an enemy inside) are very rare. I find it kinda dumb to overuse those like many people do. There are hidden blocks to be found usually.

The list:

BC2D-0000-0054-B965 The Helmet and the Shells (SMB 3)

The one I just finished. A somewhat complicated level, it shuffles you in and out of the main cave as you work towards your goal.

7893-0000-003B-8475 Traditional Grasslands #1 (SMW)

As the name suggests, this is a level designed to be very traditional for the most part, in the style of Super Mario World. This one has received by far the most stars and such out of all of them.

0608-0000-0035-E31E Stars and Spike Platforms (NSMB U)

More of a gimmick level; this one involves using spikes as platforms, with stars essentially giving you a time limit in which to cross each section of the level. This one is not easy. There are no secrets here.

920F-0000-002D-1D5B The Adventures of Skinny Mario (SMB)

After finding out that the "thin" mushroom can be unlocked for proper use (once unlocked, you shake the normal mushroom to select it, when using the original SMB style), I figured I should make a level themed around it. "Skinny Mario", bizarre though he is, can jump higher than any of Mario's other forms, so the level utilizes this in it's design. Moderately difficult.

6513-0000-001F-7C60 Through the Depths (SMB)

Another level that's somewhat more traditional. Pretty straight forward, it starts in the overworld, with a jaunt through a short water area in the middle of it.

FE7C-0000-0014-EDDC Fly Through the Flagship! (SMB 3)

The most unique of the levels I've done. An auto-scroll level (slow) through a single huge airship. There are many cannons scattered around the level, both the normal black ones, and the fast orange ones. You use Lakitu's Cloud (found in ? blocks throughout the level, without him actually inside it) to navigate through this, dodging cannonballs as you go. The clouds are all temporary, and the ground/walls are covered in spikes, so there are ? block "stations" throughout the level where you switch for a new cloud to keep going. I calibrated the hell out of this one; absolutely everything in it is entirely dodgeable, and there is no randomness here. All of the cannon patterns are very carefully constructed. The key is to take it slow, and watch their firing patterns before advancing. This is probably the most difficult of all of mine. There is only a single hidden 1up to find here, but there are a couple of not-hidden powerups, so you dont just die in a single hit, which would be frustrating. Someone said it "feels like playing a Treasure game", and indeed, it's somewhat inspired by the bazillions of shmups I play, in that it's all about dodging complex patterns of stuff.

So there, those are the ones I have for now. Probably going to do a castle level next, I aint done one of those.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:12 pm

Misery loved the levels buddy...really good to play.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Yeah great stuff Misery, really enjoyed them. Think I got most of the secrets, i'd love if they had the 3 secret star system available in future updates, its good as you can have a reasonably easy level that people can blast through and then some tough challenges to get stars for players who want to explore.

Proper placement of power ups is good, too many people are making their courses difficult purely by not giving you any power ups rather than good design. Unless you have a very good reason to do so give me a damn mushroom! The difficulty was a good level too... Its never unreasonable and when you do take it up a notch you don't then prolong the ending so you don't have to do it again and again. Seen some decent parts/ideas in levels that then ruin things by giving you insanely difficult bits one after the other.

Anyhow well done look forward to more.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks, glad you guys liked them.

I wish it was easier to get levels noticed, though. Bloody things take forever to make. Particularly the way I do it.... I'll set up something, test the whole thing, switch back to editing, move like ONE block, and then test the whole thing again. A very old habit carried over from back when I used to make levels for Doom, when that was on DOS (quick testing was often not really an option there, so the entire thing it was, most times). I'll make the blasted things though, and then they take forever to get noticed. While I watch others make "auto" levels that get like 20000 stars in 2 seconds. Ugh.

And I see so many other GOOD levels that I've found from people, that I think are just great, but they'll have like, 12 plays and half a star. It's aggravating to see.

sirpigmeat wrote:Yeah great stuff Misery, really enjoyed them. Think I got most of the secrets, i'd love if they had the 3 secret star system available in future updates, its good as you can have a reasonably easy level that people can blast through and then some tough challenges to get stars for players who want to explore.

Proper placement of power ups is good, too many people are making their courses difficult purely by not giving you any power ups rather than good design. Unless you have a very good reason to do so give me a damn mushroom! The difficulty was a good level too... Its never unreasonable and when you do take it up a notch you don't then prolong the ending so you don't have to do it again and again. Seen some decent parts/ideas in levels that then ruin things by giving you insanely difficult bits one after the other.

Anyhow well done look forward to more.
Ah, yeah, the thing with the powerups absolutely bugs the hell outta me as well. It's like, the game has all of them for a reason.... use them, people! It IS possible to make very difficult levels while still giving plenty of items! Hell, the "Lost Levels" did it, way back when... but nope, it's hyper-precise jumps through chainsaws and exploding laser Goombas without the aid of even a single mushroom half the time. Those levels arent necessarily BAD, some can be good, but still, it just annoys me. Besides, it's just much more enjoyable to have those to use.

Though, that problem is waaaaaayyyyyyyy less irritating than either the "big damn stacks of enemies everywhere" issue, or the "horrible Lakitu swarm" one. I just... I dont even. I hate those, so much.... Expert Mode of 100-Mario challenge pulls that sort up way too often.

Anyway, I'll start playing through some of the levels in this thread myself later tonight, I think, and see what you all have come up with!

I swear, this game is a freakin' addiction.