Biggest System Flaws

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Biggest System Flaws

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:20 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: Game Gear - top hardware for the time (edged out by the Atari Lynx in some ways)
Some ways? Every way! The Lynx was vastly superior to the GG in when it comes down to the actual hardware.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:35 am

The Laird wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote: Game Gear - top hardware for the time (edged out by the Atari Lynx in some ways)
Some ways? Every way! The Lynx was vastly superior to the GG in when it comes down to the actual hardware.
Except size and aesthetics. The Lynx is a big ugly slab next to a Game Gear.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:34 am

^ That's true of the Lynx mk. 1 but put a mk. 2 next to a GG and there's not a lot of difference in terms of size.
And as much as I like the Game Gear I'll readily admit it's got myriad issues - at least Atari had some kind of quality control at the time when it came to actually putting the thing together.

My Game Gear - even after being reconditioned - won't run off batteries and I can only get audio through the headphone jack.
My Lynx on the other hand works perfectly other than a few stuck pixels.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:25 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ That's true of the Lynx mk. 1 but put a mk. 2 next to a GG and there's not a lot of difference in terms of size.
And as much as I like the Game Gear I'll readily admit it's got myriad issues - at least Atari had some kind of quality control at the time when it came to actually putting the thing together.

My Game Gear - even after being reconditioned - won't run off batteries and I can only get audio through the headphone jack.
My Lynx on the other hand works perfectly other than a few stuck pixels.
And I actually preferred the Lynx MK1 personally. Just felt better to me. But both designs were good IMO. I felt the Lynx's only weakness was battery consumption

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:06 am

RodimusPrime wrote:You can talk about all the extra features you want, but the simple fact is Jaguar just was not getting good enough games.

We would have just ended up with slightly nicer looking versions of Checkered flag and club drive.

I don't know why people seem to think the jag would have done so much better with a bit more power etc, the qulaity of the games were the main issue.
Its the whole Betamax vs VHS argument, on paper the Betamax was far better but as the majority had a VHS the Betamax was doomed. 'On paper' is one thing but at the end of the day for kids its how good are the games and how many can you borrow/swap with your mates. If some kid had a Jag back then they would have been laughed at, same for my mates who originally had a Dragon 32 and Oric (And then swapped to the Speccy)

As Rodimus says its all about the games games games.

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:00 am

The Sega Saturn's dual processors were horrible flaws.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:18 am

The Laird wrote:
I always thought the Lynx with a bit of beefing up would have made an excellent home console.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.