Biggest System Flaws

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Biggest System Flaws

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:48 pm

I have seen a lot of moaning recently on here about the flaws of various systems - wobbly textures on the PS1, murky visuals on the N64 and blocky visuals on the CPC etc.

But what do you feel were the biggest hardware flaws of our beloved retro systems?

One of mine has to be the sound on the 7800, I still cannot fathom why they thought using the TIA chip for sound was acceptable. Yes, they planned to add them to carts but this just added more expense and so was very rarely used. A 7800 with the POKEY chip as standard would have been brilliant.

theantmeister

Re: Biggest System Flaws

Post by theantmeister » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:52 pm

The hopelessly slow CPU in the SNES. If there's one flaw that really stands out about the SNES it's the slowdown.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:39 pm

The way the analog sticks on the N64 controller wore out.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:43 pm

NES - the colour palette. Only 52 choices yet half of them seem to be various shades of pink.

Master System - the PSG audio. A few games still managed to sound decent without FM but 95% of SMS music is utter poo.

Mega Drive - handling of samples. You could argue all you like about lazy programming but even some very talented teams couldn't produce speech that didn't sound like someone gargling with shards of glass.

N64 - yes, the blurriness but I doubt it would have had to be used so overzealously if the texture cache hadn't been so pathetically small.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:45 pm

- having to realign my C64 / Vic20 datasettes over and over and over and .. zzzzzzzzzz
- vic 20 power supplies. got very hot, died, numerous times.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:50 pm

The original Xbox's internal clock needing resetting every time the console was switched off at the wall. Being eco-friendly and minding the electric usage only results in annoyance.

All those monolithic PSU's and connector cables for the complete Mega Drive CD32X set-up. What a mess.

The size of the CD32's PSU! The brick doesn't even have much weight to it so why was it so bloody huge?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Xbox 360 red light has to be mentioned.

Gamegears sound and screen rapidly degrading.

The NES 72 pin connector

For me a really really annoying flaw is the lack of a reset button on disc based consoles such as the 3DO and original Xbox. seriosly annoying

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:55 pm

GBA - The screen!!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:56 pm

ZX Spectrum - attribute clash.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:58 pm

Can we mention awful batteries on handhelds? Because the PSP and original 3DS utterly infuriate me. Just as I start getting into a game, the battery warning light is flashing.

I've started using CFW with the PSP to make iso versions of my UMD's to try and increase the battery life by not using the disc drive but it still doesn't feel like much improvement.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:04 pm

A8 - long loading times from cassette.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Megamixer wrote:Can we mention awful batteries on handhelds? Because the PSP and original 3DS utterly infuriate me. Just as I start getting into a game, the battery warning light is flashing.
That's nothing! Try getting into a bloody GameGear game!!

Definitely a big mention to the 360's RROD...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:39 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of retro systems and flaws with system architecture rather than things like batteries on modern systems and RROD. But all good.

Didn't take people long to mention colour clash, something that really didn't bother me back in the day when it probably should have. I was more annoyed by the sound on the 48k Speccy, it was just abysmal.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:45 pm

The Laird wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of retro systems and flaws with system architecture rather than things like batteries on modern systems and RROD. But all good.

Didn't take people long to mention colour clash, something that really didn't bother me back in the day when it probably should have. I was more annoyed by the sound on the 48k Speccy, it was just abysmal.
I was actually going to mention the sound and also the ultra-limited palette on the speccy but once attribute clash was out there it would have felt like kicking a puppy.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Dreamcast - vulnerable to piracy, controllers not a comfortable shape, awful game cases